NVIDIA GTX460 'no audio devices installed' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sanderdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi guys,

I just bought a GTX 460 card and want to use the high res. audio (DTS-MA/TrueHD bitstream) from the card. I tried to install and reinstall the NVIDIA driver over and over again but I just keep getting 'no audio devices are installed' under sound options. The strange this is that the NVIDIA control panel lets me choose my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR5008) under the setting 'setup digital audio' option 'HDMI'. At my Device Manager there is shown 4x 'NVIDIA High Defenition Audio' under 'Sound, video and game controllers'......

Setup:
Asus GTX460 with 295.73 driver (also tried the latest)
ASrock H61M-ITX board (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.nl.asp?Model=H61M-ITX)
Windows 7 64-bit with SP1 and all the latest updates
Latest DirectX version
GTX460 connected to my Onkyo TX-NR5008 AVR with mini-HDMI->HDMI cable
Onboard audio disabled in bios

If more information is needed please let me know.
Hope someone knows the solution for my problem.

Thanks!
sanderdvd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Hi guys,

I just bought a GTX 460 card and want to use the high res. audio (DTS-MA/TrueHD bitstream) from the card. I tried to install and reinstall the NVIDIA driver over and over again but I just keep getting 'no audio devices are installed' under sound options. The strange this is that the NVIDIA control panel lets me choose my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR5008) under the setting 'setup digital audio' option 'HDMI'. At my Device Manager there is shown 4x 'NVIDIA High Defenition Audio' under 'Sound, video and game controllers'......

Setup:
Asus GTX460 with 295.73 driver (also tried the latest)
ASrock H61M-ITX board (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.nl.asp?Model=H61M-ITX)
Windows 7 64-bit with SP1 and all the latest updates
Latest DirectX version
GTX460 connected to my Onkyo TX-NR5008 AVR with mini-HDMI->HDMI cable
Onboard audio disabled in bios

If more information is needed please let me know.
Hope someone knows the solution for my problem.

Thanks!

Try with a DVI-HDMI cable/adapter. Is the native resolution of your display device HDTV standard (1080p/i or 720p)?

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
MlNDBOMB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 48
use the adapters that came with your card rather than generic adapters.
MlNDBOMB is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nevcairiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I had issues with NVIDIAs miniHDMI before myself, so yes, try a DVI-HDMI adapter instead.
Nevcairiel is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sanderdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

I had issues with NVIDIAs miniHDMI before myself, so yes, try a DVI-HDMI adapter instead.

I forgot to mention that I am indeed using a miniHDMI->HDMI dongle

Nevcairiel, I thought I read somewhere that it is the best to use the (mini)HDMI output and not the DVI output?
sanderdvd is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sanderdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli View Post

Try with a DVI-HDMI cable/adapter. Is the native resolution of your display device HDTV standard (1080p/i or 720p)?

native resulution of my display is 1080p (projector with HDMI)
sanderdvd is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sanderdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MlNDBOMB View Post

use the adapters that came with your card rather than generic adapters.

I am using the one that came with the card
sanderdvd is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 04-19-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
sanderdvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: The Netherlands, Europe
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
ok guys, you really have to help me out here. I just tried ANOTHER gtx460 card with ANOTHER miniHDMI->HDMI dongle but the high def audio device is still not recognized in the sound control panel and I get 'no audio devices are installed'. Like I said before: my Onkyo TX-NR5008 is recognized in the NVIDIA contro panel under the setting 'setup digital audio' option 'HDMI'. And also in my device manager there is 4x NVIDIA High Defenition Audio.

What there @#@%#@ is going on here........
sanderdvd is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Tulli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

ok guys, you really have to help me out here. I just tried ANOTHER gtx460 card with ANOTHER miniHDMI->HDMI dongle but the high def audio device is still not recognized in the sound control panel and I get 'no audio devices are installed'. Like I said before: my Onkyo TX-NR5008 is recognized in the NVIDIA contro panel under the setting 'setup digital audio' option 'HDMI'. And also in my device manager there is 4x NVIDIA High Defenition Audio.

What there @#@%#@ is going on here........

The mini HDMI connector is the problem (it never worked for me either). Just connect using any DVI-HDMI adapter or cable instead.

EDID Overrides (capture, install/uninstall, troubleshooting)
Tulli is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nevcairiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post

Nevcairiel, I thought I read somewhere that it is the best to use the (mini)HDMI output and not the DVI output?

You now read the opposite here, so go try a DVI->HDMI adapter!
Nevcairiel is online now  
post #11 of 13 Old 04-19-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maxleung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've gotten the mini-HDMI to work on my geforce 560 (not a TI) with my Yamaha RX-A2010. However, this is rather flaky - if I put the PC to sleep and later awaken it, I have a 50% chance that I can never get the audio back!

I found that the DVI ports are more reliable in this regard.

With that said - you *might* want to try the beta NVIDIA 301.24 drivers - it has a new HDMI audio driver that at least fixes the silent stream bug for DirectSound-enabled players (still get a second of silence when unpausing audio in WASAPI or ASIO modes).

EDIT: Oh - the 301.24 drivers breaks MadVR a little - you have to *uncheck* the "use separate device for presentation" checkbox - which could be a big issue!
maxleung is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 04-19-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maxleung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I looked at the files in the C:\\NVIDIA\\DisplayDriver\\301.24\\WinVista_Win7_64\\English \\HDAudio directory versus the ones in C:\\NVIDIA\\DisplayDriver\\296.10\\WinVista_Win7_64\\English \\HDAudio, and 3 files are different:

HDAudio.nvi
nvhda.cat
nvhda.inf

This is odd because, as far as I can tell, the rest of the files (the driver binaries) are identical - so it is possible that the 296.10 HDAudio driver didn't "take" the first time.
maxleung is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 04-20-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tong Chia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Was the HDMI input on the AVR setup for both video and audio?
Tong Chia is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off