Is this a good Tablet PC deal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
I'll be honest --- I don't keep up with tablet and laptops much at all.

I noticed this deal today for the Samsung Galaxy GT-P7510MAYXAB for $400 today only.

I've been wanting to get a tablet (the wife has an iPad2) for me.

Decent deal? Something better out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm typing this on a Asus Transformer Prime that I really like, however if I was you I'd wait for a Windows 8 tablet. Unless you have a wad of cash burning a hole that must be spent. Also that is running an older processor. The latest is Tegra 3 and the 4's should be out pretty soon so I'd hold off and save for one of those personally.

-RobNY
post #3 of 33 Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNY View Post

I'm typing this on a Asus Transformer Prime that I really like, however if I was you I'd wait for a Windows 8 tablet. Unless you have a wad of cash burning a hole that must be spent. Also that is running an older processor. The latest is Tegra 3 and the 4's should be out pretty soon so I'd hold off and save for one of those personally.

-RobNY

Thanks. Definitely don't have a wad of cash. Just trying to educate myself and see whats our there in the mean time.
post #4 of 33 Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I bought a refurb ASUS Transformer TF101 16GB for $299 (search Newegg/Compusa) and am very pleased with it. Upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich (initial release), which is a quirky and needs some updates, but its a great interface and performance is fine for my intended use which was primarily a portable movie player for my kids. I've also found it to be my preferred method of couch based internet surfing as well. Added a 32G micro SD for storing media.

I traveled with it last week, hooked up via HDMI to the hotel TV for movies, really nice for that. Also used on the plane for my kids, but the internal audio amp is not very powerful and I needed to add a small external headphone amp to hook up 2 sets of headphones at the same time.

This tab will last me a while, no need for me to have better performance (Tegra 3), but if you intend to do more like play games you may want to wait.
post #5 of 33 Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

I bought a refurb ASUS Transformer TF101 16GB for $299 (search Newegg/Compusa) and am very pleased with it. Upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich (initial release), which is a quirky and needs some updates, but its a great interface and performance is fine for my intended use which was primarily a portable movie player for my kids. I've also found it to be my preferred method of couch based internet surfing as well. Added a 32G micro SD for storing media.

I traveled with it last week, hooked up via HDMI to the hotel TV for movies, really nice for that. Also used on the plane for my kids, but the internal audio amp is not very powerful and I needed to add a small external headphone amp to hook up 2 sets of headphones at the same time.

This tab will last me a while, no need for me to have better performance (Tegra 3), but if you intend to do more like play games you may want to wait.

No. Definitely no game playing. No time for it.
post #6 of 33 Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Forgot to mention, the browser does hang up once in a while, and flash video seems to hang up occasionally too, but I am pretty tolerant of that kind of stuff.
post #7 of 33 Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Thanks. Definitely don't have a wad of cash. Just trying to educate myself and see whats our there in the mean time.

You can get a refurb Acer Iconia Tab A500 at quite a few place for around $270, including at Newegg (with free shipping) and Walmart.

My wife has a A500 and it's quite good, better than my Toshiba Thrive, that's for sure. I wouldn't hesitate to get the A500 if you're looking for a Tegra 2 10" tablet.
post #8 of 33 Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 PM

Liked: 10
The 10" Toshiba Thrive is a very good machine and has connectivity that hardly anyone else has including full-sized HDMI (which works perfectly in my experience), full-size SD card slot (easily double or triple the memory), and a full-size USB jack.

I watch Slingbox, MP4 movies, etc.

I think it's one of the best general purpose tablets out there. And there is a lot of very competent online community support.

I saw one today at Staples for $329.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur
post #9 of 33 Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM

Liked: 20
I don't know Tablets at all. Is VIZIO 8 for $189 at Costco worth considering? What's the downside (if any) of this price point? And, would it be able to run all the available android HT remote control apps?
post #10 of 33 Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 PM

Tablets make a awesome backlit keyboard and mouse. I was going to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse but no need with a tablet. I use Splashtop HD (8.99) and free pocketcloud to remote desktop, was a pain hacking remote desktop but finally got it. Those not fluent with Windows I'd recommend dropping the 9 bucks on Splashtop HD.

-RobNY
post #11 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Assassin, you still looking for a tablet deal?

Amazon's deal of the day is a Kindle Fire refurb for $139.

Ok, I understand that the Kindle has some limitations and is quirky with some apps, but I think it will do most of what people want a tablet to do, has a huge installed base and serious parent company backing, and you're not going to find a usable tablet for less money than that. If my wife and I didn't already have tablets, I know I'd buy one for that price.

Does anyone know if the popular "HTPC keyboard/mouse/remote" apps will run on a Fire?
post #12 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Ok, I understand that the Kindle has some limitations and is quirky with some apps, but I think it will do most of what people want a tablet to do, has a huge installed base and serious parent company backing, and you're not going to find a usable tablet for less money than that. If my wife and I didn't already have tablets, I know I'd buy one for that price.

Does anyone know if the popular "HTPC keyboard/mouse/remote" apps will run on a Fire?

IIRC, the Kindle Fire does not support HLS, which makes it far less useful for Plex. Anyways, I strongly recommend waiting for Windows 8 tablets. The iPad has a number of limitations, and imo, android tablets just aren't there yet.
post #13 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

IIRC, the Kindle Fire does not support HLS, which makes it far less useful for Plex. Anyways, I strongly recommend waiting for Windows 8 tablets. The iPad has a number of limitations, and imo, android tablets just aren't there yet.

"Aren't there yet" for what? It depends what you want and what you use it for. What do you expect from a tablet that you think the iPad2 or current Android tablets won't do?

My Thrive does what I expect. Not sure what it is that I am supposed to have waited for before buying it.

I doubt if many people consider unsuitability for Plex to be a show stopper.
post #14 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 AM

What do you want the tablet to do?
post #15 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Can you even compare the Kindle to the Windows 8 tablets coming out? The Kindle Fire under $150 is a great deal...what is the price window for the new W8 tablets?
post #16 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Aren't there yet" for what? It depends what you want and what you use it for. What do you expect from a tablet that you think the iPad2 or current Android tablets won't do?

My Thrive does what I expect. Not sure what it is that I am supposed to have waited for before buying it.

I doubt if many people consider unsuitability for Plex to be a show stopper.

Of course it depends on what you use it for! However, I don't like android tablets for a number of reasons. For one, the state of android tablet apps right now is pretty poor. Secondly, it's just not as fluid as it should be. Go into a store, put an iPad and android tablet side by side (try a top of the line model like the Transformer Prime), and then scroll up and down a web page. It's not even close. The iPad is smooth, and the android is jerky. Some people might not care, but I find it really annoying.

I actually like the iPad for the most part. However, apple's app policies are frequently overbearing, and there's limited customization. That doesn't matter for a lot people, but this is a forum made mostly of DIY types!

I like Windows 8 because it brings something new and interesting to the table. Who knows, it may stink, but I think it's worth waiting to find out. I'm also betting it will integrate better with Windows services, and many people on this forum use Windows.

Also, I think assassin mentioned before that he likes the idea of using Plex while traveling. And indeed, many people on this forum have awesome movie and TV show collections, and Plex is a great way to view those on the road.
post #17 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Still looking, yes.

As I mentioned I am not in a rush. I did try out the new iPad3 at the Apple store in Chicago and even as anti-Apple guy I was somewhat impressed. A very nice piece of hardware.

Still haven't decided. The wife has an iPad2 and it might be fun to have one of each (Apple and Android).

Don't know much about the Windows tabs. But with M$'s track record on tabs and phones I don't know that I want to put hundreds of dollars into their new tech.
post #18 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like Windows 8 because it brings something new and interesting to the table. Who knows, it may stink, but I think it's worth waiting to find out. I'm also betting it will integrate better with Windows services, and many people on this forum use Windows.

Do you own an Android tablet? If not, I'd suggest being a little more restrained with your sweeping generalizations based on "well I tried one model, which I have no idea what it was loaded with or how it was configured, in a store."

It's always easy to claim that the "next great thing" is juuuuuuust over the horizon. Of course, that's only true in fairy tales. But if you want to wait forever for what you deem perfect, go right ahead.

But I'll recommend to Assassin or anyone else looking that in my view, based on actually owning a couple Androids and extensively using others (including an iPad2) it's not worth waiting for what doesn't exist.

And it sure as heck is going to cost a whole lot more than $139. As does an iPad 2. And of course saying a Kindle isn't as good as an iPad2 is like saying that an Acer Netbook isn't as good as an Asus Zenbook. Well duh. But then again, they are totally different products for different markets and one is 3 1/2 times the price of the other. What would you expect?
post #19 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:

Still looking, yes.

As I mentioned I am not in a rush. I did try out the new iPad3 at the Apple store in Chicago and even as anti-Apple guy I was somewhat impressed. A very nice piece of hardware.

Still haven't decided. The wife has an iPad2 and it might be fun to have one of each (Apple and Android).

Don't know much about the Windows tabs. But with M$'s track record on tabs and phones I don't know that I want to put hundreds of dollars into their new tech.

I would go Apple or Asus.

(I am not an apple guy at all but I do love my iphone. Previous I had a droidX and it sucked)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #20 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you own an Android tablet? If not, I'd suggest being a little more restrained with your sweeping generalizations based on "well I tried one model, which I have no idea what it was loaded with or how it was configured, in a store."

I have tried multiple android tablets in store, and I've used iPads and iPhones extensively. I also own a Galaxy Nexus phone. There absolutely is a difference in smoothness, namely the web browser, between iOS and Android. I almost bought a Transformer Prime, but after watching numerous videos of the browser experience on youtube, I was turned away. Maybe the latest Android tablets are different, but I have my doubts. I'll wait until I see evidence to the contrary.
post #21 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have tried multiple android tablets in store, and I've used iPads and iPhones extensively. I also own a Galaxy Nexus phone. There absolutely is a difference in smoothness, namely the web browser, between iOS and Android. I almost bought a Transformer Prime, but after watching numerous videos of the browser experience on youtube, I was turned away. Maybe the latest Android tablets are different, but I have my doubts. I'll wait until I see evidence to the contrary.

Android phones and Android tablets are entirely different experiences and provide little or no sense of how the other functions. And that's based on actually owning and using daily both.

Plus, if you're using the Android browser, your assement of the "browser experience" is useless, because no one I know uses the built in browser, but instead uses Opera or Dolphin or the like.
post #22 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I have a galaxy II running gingerB and its scrolling is faster than an iOS. I also have an HP touchpad running webOS and cyanogen7. And all videos play on my cyanogen7 including YouTube of course.

My 2ยข is that I will always discount Apple products for being too restrictive, not compatible with other standards and extremely fashion oriented. They are basically fashion devices in black boxes for people who don't want to mess with things. It surely runs smooth, but only because it limits the amount of things you can do, hence you are less likely to encounter problems.

For a tablet I'd recommend any brand running ics/latest cpu with the outputs that you would need i.e. HDMI, SD storage. Check battery autonomy and how likely the maker will roll updates.
post #23 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanone View Post

For a tablet I'd recommend any brand running ics/latest cpu with the outputs that you would need i.e. HDMI, SD storage. Check battery autonomy and how likely the maker will roll updates.

This is what I am leaning towards.

Question is which one? Seems like the Transformer Prime is the popular choice.
post #24 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
well, today there is the woot one...
by all accounts it is crap... but it is only $60...
no ICS (as far as I know), but it is only $60...

Features:

* Velocity has designed and refined the Cruz Tablet to be as stylish as it is amazing. Get ready to attract attention with the sleek, slim, and stylish Cruz Tablet
* Crystal clear 4:3, 800x600 full color capacitive touch screen display - ideal for viewing ebooks and magazines, web pages, and movies
* Utilizes the open source Android OS to provide a better and more reliable user experience
* Built-in tilt activated accelerometer
* 2GB internal storage, expandable via both USB and SD card slots
* Tons of useful apps and games
* Access to the largest selection of the most popular books with the Kindle for Android app
* Extended life, user replaceable lithium-ion battery (up to 10+ hours; 24+ hours on standby)
* 802.11n Wi-Fi and full browser support
* Access to the Cruz Market
* User Manual

hmm... user manual is a feature?
but hey, its stylish & amazing.... cant beat that...
oh, and its $60

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #25 of 33 Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:

This is what I am leaning towards.

Question is which one? Seems like the Transformer Prime is the popular choice.

Yep, best hardware, but expect to have the crappiest customer service from Asus if you ever need it. Asus in general has very decent hardware (I am not talking about components, but ready to use gadgets-I have their netbook and the battery failed 3 months after I got it, their CS replied to me: "if you want laptop working, buy battery").

The safest way these days is a Samsung, slower hardware, but safe choice. Or you could wait for their new tablet.
post #26 of 33 Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Liked: 12
Loving my New iPad. For me the XHD screen, Verizon LTE 4G, Verizon LTE HotSpot feature, worldwide 3G+ cinched the buy. Since then I've found many great apps including Win8 Metro testbed which makes the iPad into a Win 8 tablet. That alone may be a major reason to buy.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #27 of 33 Old 05-03-2012, 06:09 AM

I was just having this debate (in my head) last month. I had a long flight and wanted a tablet to occupy my time.

I really wanted to go with a transformer prime, but it just had too many issues (WIFI problems, GPS) in the reviews I read to take a chance. Plus at the time Anandtech had a comparison of Tegra 3 vs. the A5, and the Tegra 3 was the same, or even slower in many benchmarks.

I ended up buying the Ipad 3 and haven't regretted it for a second. Sure, it's a closed system and there is no flash, but most websites now have a tablet version anyway. No SD card is a bit of a drawback also, but I barely have used 10GB of the 32Gb availble as it is. When I convert a movie to playback on the Ipad it usually take up about 1.5 to 2gb (720p).

The final clincher for me was Apple's app store. Apple's head start, plus their closed system gives them an edge over android apps, especially apps optimized for a tablet.

I am by no means an Apple fanboy. My new Ipad is the only Apple product I own, but I have to give them credit for making a great product. For your situation I would either buy an I pad, or wait for Windows 8 (although for Windows 8 it could be a Loooong time before they have a decent app selection).
post #28 of 33 Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshaw88 View Post

For your situation I would either buy an I pad, or wait for Windows 8 (although for Windows 8 it could be a Loooong time before they have a decent app selection).

I would wait for Windows 8.
An x86 based Win 8 tablet will play anything, don't need a Metro App for that.
And therein lies the potential of Windows 8; x86 based hardware.
If manufacturers can get them priced around $500-$700, it will prove to be stiff competition for the Ipad.

On an aside, I would consider these as Tablets not Tablet PCs. Tablet PCs were/are technically the laptops with swivel screens that fold flat.
post #29 of 33 Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM

here we go, you have it. buy an asus or a samsung or an ipad or a win8 device
post #30 of 33 Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

I would wait for Windows 8.
An x86 based Win 8 tablet will play anything, don't need a Metro App for that.
And therein lies the potential of Windows 8; x86 based hardware.
If manufacturers can get them priced around $500-$700, it will prove to be stiff competition for the Ipad.

On an aside, I would consider these as Tablets not Tablet PCs. Tablet PCs were/are technically the laptops with swivel screens that fold flat.

Good point, having x86 based hardware would be a major upside to waiting for a Windows 8 tablet. I'm very curious to see if Windows 8 on ARM will be compatiable with any x86 software.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page