Official Whiteman Technology Delta DVR Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 75 Old 04-21-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 641
SO I'm guessing this only works with cable, like the TiVo Elite? Since no one answered my question about OTA tuning.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 75 Old 04-21-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

I realized that the UI is standard MC, which is great. I am just wondering how the Blu-ray functionality is integrated into it (On HTPCs, it brings up CyberLink's or ArcSoft's custom MCE UI -- What are you using for the Blu-ray playback?).

Since you are also marketing the unit as a way to play back user's camera / camcorder content, a word of caution about the Fusion E-350 / E-450 (and, probably the G-series too -- because my request to AMD for clarification received no response) is warranted. They are notorious for not supporting playback of 1080p60 camcorder files (which are fast becoming common). Playback of such files on AMD's low-end HTPCs results in stutters and dropped frames. Hopefully, you guys do better QA.

Of course, I am also interested in knowing about MKV playback / ISO support / 3D Blu-ray support etc. that plenty of other posters in this thread have brought up.

We have successfully integrated Blu-Ray playback, though we'll release details of how at a later time.

Regarding 1080p60, we are working to ensure that all codecs/files/formats are supported (and play smoothly). MKV/ISO/3D Blu-Ray are all important features to us, so don't worry.
post #33 of 75 Old 04-21-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

SO I'm guessing this only works with cable, like the TiVo Elite? Since no one answered my question about OTA tuning.

He did mention something a few posts back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWhiteman View Post

We've been working with our friends over at Silicondust for tuners.. more details to come.

On a side note, Mr. Whiteman - you can use the Multi-Quote button to condense your answers into one post instead of making multiple posts for each answer you give. That said, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #34 of 75 Old 04-21-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by werd View Post

Any plans for an app store? Will it support things like, hulu, netflix, hbogo, mlb.tv etc?

Multiple streaming services will be supported.

An app store would be nice, wouldn't it? You will be able to access Google Play.. does that help?
post #35 of 75 Old 04-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
If you need a guinea pig to test it at home for you I would like to volunteer my home, time and FiOS to help you along

I took the red pill.
(and got screwed by Toshiba)
post #36 of 75 Old 04-21-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Multiple streaming services will be supported.

An app store would be nice, wouldn't it? You will be able to access Google Play.. does that help?

That is quite a teaser! So, you are saying, Microsoft-branded MCE running on top of Android? (assuming Google Play access means I can install and run apps from the store).

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #37 of 75 Old 04-22-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

That is quite a teaser! So, you are saying, Microsoft-branded MCE running on top of Android? (assuming Google Play access means I can install and run apps from the store).

Actually it runs Windows Media Center on Windows 7 Embedded and will run Android apps via the Blue Stacks emulator.
post #38 of 75 Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

He did mention something a few posts back:

We are looking at OTA as well.

On a side note, Mr. Whiteman - you can use the Multi-Quote button to condense your answers into one post instead of making multiple posts for each answer you give. That said, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Sorry, was on the road and couldn't get Multi-Quote to work. Back home now.. much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerMM View Post

Actually it runs Windows Media Center on Windows 7 Embedded and will run Android apps via the Blue Stacks emulator.

True.
post #39 of 75 Old 04-22-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Can Delta play ripped DVD and/or Bluray ISO from a network storage?

Quote:

Yes

Via SMB, NFS or DLNA?
post #40 of 75 Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver View Post

Via SMB, NFS or DLNA?

Details to come.. However, the sharing is functional.
post #41 of 75 Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Liked: 12
Whiteman, you are in danger of losing your cred without an availability date and price. We respect accurate details, codec completeness, and robust software. We've seen too many vendors front-run their media serving products. It doesn't help anyone.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #42 of 75 Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Will I be able to download recordings *to a Mac*? (e.g. I can do this on a Tivo with kmttg.. and even better, I can download starting at the paused point, so I can relatively quickly save only the musical guest from a program.) If I can EDIT the recording ON THE DVR even better (similar to what I can do on my Toshiba XS32).

Will I be able to play FASTER THAN REALTIME WITH SOUND? I do this on my XS32 literally every day, and is the major reason I keep using it (since most of my analog channels went away). I dub talk shows & news shows/documentaries (and SNL, about the only scripted thing I watch this way) to watch at 1.5x with sound.

How does it deal with overlap? I guess 6 shows at a time is probably enough without it, but if I can record shows *on the same channel* on the same tuner WITH OVERLAP (e.g. CBS Monday nights, NBC Thursday nights), even better.
post #43 of 75 Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

Whiteman, you are in danger of losing your cred without an availability date and price. We respect accurate details, codec completeness, and robust software. We've seen too many vendors front-run their media serving products. It doesn't help anyone.

We will release this as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

Will I be able to download recordings *to a Mac*? (e.g. I can do this on a Tivo with kmttg.. and even better, I can download starting at the paused point, so I can relatively quickly save only the musical guest from a program.) If I can EDIT the recording ON THE DVR even better (similar to what I can do on my Toshiba XS32).

Recordings will be available to Macs, though at this time I cannot say how that will work.

Will I be able to play FASTER THAN REALTIME WITH SOUND? I do this on my XS32 literally every day, and is the major reason I keep using it (since most of my analog channels went away). I dub talk shows & news shows/documentaries (and SNL, about the only scripted thing I watch this way) to watch at 1.5x with sound.

Yes. 2x does this with no issues.

How does it deal with overlap? I guess 6 shows at a time is probably enough without it, but if I can record shows *on the same channel* on the same tuner WITH OVERLAP (e.g. CBS Monday nights, NBC Thursday nights), even better.

With 6 tuners, this is seldom an issue.
post #44 of 75 Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 641
It can easily be an issue especially with a family of five each recording their own programs. At least some of my friends tell me this which is why everyone in their families typically have their own DVR since they all record different things.

I have four tuners going concurrently just about every day and a few times a month I'll have eight or more recording concurrently. And most of the recordings are just for me with a few for my GF.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #45 of 75 Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

I think he has a point. Although the Delta sure sounds nice many have promised the world and delivered nothing and the Delta sure seems to promise everything a DVR fan wants to hear but when will it hit the shelves and will it be remotely afforable.

...and where is that after DEMO video typed about in post #4? I cant seem to find it.

I took the red pill.
(and got screwed by Toshiba)
post #46 of 75 Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

This sounds promising, but I think this quote from Engadget sums it up for me...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/19/e...hardware-deta/

Quote:

Unfortunately, we couldn't get a look at the prototype device while at DEMO due to Whiteman Technology's vendor agreements, but we did witness it working from behind a closed cabinet on the pavilion floor. Currently the Delta DVR's just a home theater pipe dream -- a promising one, for sure, but a pipe dream nonetheless. That said, we surely hope that Whiteman Technologies can get the funding needed to start manufacturing the device and deliver on all its promises, because it's got just about everything we could ask for in a home theater hub.

post #47 of 75 Old 04-24-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:

With 6 tuners, this is seldom an issue.

Quote:

It can easily be an issue especially with a family of five each recording their own programs. At least some of my friends tell me this which is why everyone in their families typically have their own DVR since they all record different things.

I have four tuners going concurrently just about every day and a few times a month I'll have eight or more recording concurrently. And most of the recordings are just for me with a few for my GF.

I definitely agree. My TiVo Elite is running 4 tuners from 8:00-2:00 AM every night. This is without padding any shows. Once you add padding in, this results in missed recordings.

I would also want a version of KMTTG and PyTiVo. I prefer transfers over local streaming since WHSv1 has the stutter issue sometimes when streaming.
post #48 of 75 Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

I definitely agree. My TiVo Elite is running 4 tuners from 8:00-2:00 AM every night. This is without padding any shows. Once you add padding in, this results in missed recordings.

I would also want a version of KMTTG and PyTiVo. I prefer transfers over local streaming since WHSv1 has the stutter issue sometimes when streaming.

Two Deltas are better than one.

I don't foresee us initially shipping a unit with greater than 6 tuners, but we do recognize the demand for such capacity.
post #49 of 75 Old 04-25-2012, 06:22 AM

FYI the Moxi can overlap "padded' shows on the same channel using a single tuner.
post #50 of 75 Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronkimball View Post

FYI the Moxi can overlap "padded' shows on the same channel using a single tuner.

Seems the glaringly obvious thing to do. I wonder why the others wastefully require two tuners? (Off to google "Moxi"...)
post #51 of 75 Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Moxi is a discontinued product, don't bother. The Ceton Q and this product (if not vaporware), Tivo, and HTPCs are your options, assuming you don't want the craptacular cableCo DVR.
post #52 of 75 Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Moxi is a discontinued product, don't bother. The Ceton Q and this product (if not vaporware), Tivo, and HTPCs are your options, assuming you don't want the craptacular cableCo DVR.

Biggest issue with these third party units is the loss of the VOD & PPV Services from your cable operator. Only recently was Tivo able to cut a deal with Comcast to allow access to their VOD library. I'm currently stuck with Time Warner Cable's sad excuse for a DVR with it's home brew Navigator software. I would drop it in a second for a solid third party offering which also supported VOD.

post #53 of 75 Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

Biggest issue with these third party units is the loss of the VOD & PPV Services from your cable operator. Only recently was Tivo able to cut a deal with Comcast to allow access to their VOD library. I'm currently stuck with Time Warner Cable's sad excuse for a DVR with it's home brew Navigator software. I would drop it in a second for a solid third party offering which also supported VOD.

Yep. it's up and running in the Bay Area. Just got it up and running today. It's getting tougher and tougher to think about leaving TiVo.

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #54 of 75 Old 04-27-2012, 07:40 AM

Liked: 17
Did all Tivo's get this capability or was there some hardware change required? This could open the doors for other CC compliant devices to receive VOD as well... unlikely, but possible. As surely TIVO is paying Comcast in some way/shape/form for this capability, no? Doesn't Xbox Live now have access to Comcast VOD content as well?

I guess I'll consider myself lucky that I disliked everything about TWC's DVR, I never bothered to even use the VOD when it was there.
post #55 of 75 Old 04-27-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 175
It has to be enabled on every headend by Comcast, in conjunction with Tivo. It will be months (if not into next year) before every Tivo gets VOD. And it's entirely proprietary two-way comms between Tivo and Comcast - the shows are requested via IP and delivered over a QAM channel, which is pretty much how Comcast's DVRs do it. Xbox got it rolled it out nationwide because it's entirely IP-based.

The 'open access' way to do it was part of the FCC's AllVid proposal to enable standards-based IP delivery of cable/sat/telco content, but that has gone nowhere.
post #56 of 75 Old 04-28-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think your case is extraordinary and trying to cover your needs with a single box would unnecessarily add cost for 99.99% of the market. If I am wrong and there really is a market for more than 6 tuners, it would sure surprise me.
post #57 of 75 Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread seems to have died fast. Any updates on this product? As a Time Warner sub I'm always looking for a complete DVR solution because what they give us is absolute trash.

post #58 of 75 Old 09-07-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

This thread seems to have died fast. Any updates on this product? As a Time Warner sub I'm always looking for a complete DVR solution because what they give us is absolute trash.

I have setup and used a PC with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 cablecard tuner with XBox 360's as Media Center Extenders and I have to tell you it's just as good or better than almost all DVRs out there, MUCH cheaper per month since you only have to rent one cablecard ($2-3/month) and I found that even when I only ordered the very basic cable package, when I authorized the cablecard I ended up getting many of the digital channels, both HD and SD, for free. Of course that all depends on your provider and what they throw out there "in the clear". Easiest thing to do would be to hook your cable straight to your HDTV, if it has a QAM tuner, and do a channel scan and see what comes up.

With this setup you get a whole home DVR without the added costs and limitations of your provider's equipment (TW, Comcast, Dish, DirecTV, etc.).

It's at least worth looking into.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #59 of 75 Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Completely forgot all about this.....

TiVo Roamio Pro, Premiere XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting
post #60 of 75 Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

I have setup and used a PC with a Ceton InfiniTV 4 cablecard tuner with XBox 360's as Media Center Extenders and I have to tell you it's just as good or better than almost all DVRs out there, MUCH cheaper per month since you only have to rent one cablecard ($2-3/month) and I found that even when I only ordered the very basic cable package, when I authorized the cablecard I ended up getting many of the digital channels, both HD and SD, for free. Of course that all depends on your provider and what they throw out there "in the clear". Easiest thing to do would be to hook your cable straight to your HDTV, if it has a QAM tuner, and do a channel scan and see what comes up.
With this setup you get a whole home DVR without the added costs and limitations of your provider's equipment (TW, Comcast, Dish, DirecTV, etc.).
It's at least worth looking into.

I've toyed with the thought of doing my own HTPC. That said, I have a customer base who can't stand them and are looking for a more advanced comercial one. This is why I was keeping tabs.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page