Official Whiteman Technology Delta DVR Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 75 Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that we are excited to be announcing the Delta DVR, and are interested in answering your questions and hearing your feedback. Let us know what you think!

CableCard - Yes

Browser - Yes

Streaming - Yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 04-18-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Welcome Mr Whiteman to AVS!

Can you give us more info such as price and availability?

Any video you can share with us?

Is it iOS friendly?

Can you share with us about the voice control features?

http://www.whitemantechnology.com/
post #3 of 75 Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 PM

Welcome!

"By all of your content, we mean all of your content. Record a show in your living room, but want to watch it in your bedroom? Just browse over to your shared recordings, and play."

I'd like to hear more about CableCard support. If the cable operator sets the Copy Once can those recordings still be shared or is Play To being used for this?

Thanks!
post #4 of 75 Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

We'll be showing it off on stage Thursday, April 19th at DEMO Spring 2012, at 3:48 PM PST.

Video will also be posted after the show.

There are plans to support all major portable devices.
post #5 of 75 Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

We've been working with Amulet for voice controls.. will provide links once I've got three posts on here.. lol
post #6 of 75 Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

post #7 of 75 Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 599
What about OTA?

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #8 of 75 Old 04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
On paper this sound like it could be a neat box to replace my WMC Mac Mini, however CableCARD support is one thing, tuning adapters are another.

How does it fare with TAs? Specifically the horrific Cisco boxes most TWC users are stuck with. If it loses signal lock like Moxis do or fails to communicate with TAs as TiVos do, then it won't be much of an improvement in this area.

post #9 of 75 Old 04-19-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Ryan, this is quite interesting. Though we have seen plenty of MediaRoom coverage over the last 5 years or so, this is the first time that I am seeing something using Windows in a CE device which can be purchased directly by a consumer.

I also see that the unit includes a Blu-ray drive [ http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/19/de...d-set-top-box/ ], and I am completely sold on the 'integrating multiple functionality into a single device' vision that you are working on.

I will keep a close watch on this thread. Can you provide some details on the actual platform? (AMD G-series?). Details about power consumption and UI would also be nice.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #10 of 75 Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you access media stored on other devices, ie: a media server? What formats will this play? Can you watch ripped DVDs and BDs (in BDMV/video_ts and ISO)? How does your STB compare to what Ceton has released about their latest extenders?
post #11 of 75 Old 04-19-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

Can you watch ripped DVDs and BDs (in BDMV/video_ts and ISO)?

It will be big plus if it can watch ripped ISO from this box?
post #12 of 75 Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 333
If the pricing is on par with a Premier Elite + lifetime as suggested then that would make it $900.

As much as I like throwing money around on new toys, I'll be waiting for the Ceton Q and extender to replace my entire Moxi system instead.

post #13 of 75 Old 04-19-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakmal View Post

Ryan, this is quite interesting. Though we have seen plenty of MediaRoom coverage over the last 5 years or so, this is the first time that I am seeing something using Windows in a CE device which can be purchased directly by a consumer.

I also see that the unit includes a Blu-ray drive [ http://venturebeat.com/2012/04/19/de...d-set-top-box/ ], and I am completely sold on the 'integrating multiple functionality into a single device' vision that you are working on.

I will keep a close watch on this thread. Can you provide some details on the actual platform? (AMD G-series?). Details about power consumption and UI would also be nice.

Thanks for your interest. Not specifying which AMD chip we're using yet... power consumption will get released around the same time frame as the chip.. What do you want to know about the UI?
post #14 of 75 Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

Can you access media stored on other devices, ie: a media server? What formats will this play? Can you watch ripped DVDs and BDs (in BDMV/video_ts and ISO)? How does your STB compare to what Ceton has released about their latest extenders?

Of course you can play media stored on other devices. Leaving that out wouldn't make sense to me. 3TB can actually fill up pretty quick (when you never delete anything and store all of your family photos/music/videos/movies on it).. that's why we give you the ability to use external storage and/or network storage.

I can't really say much about us vs Ceton, as they haven't released a lot of details yet; we are looking forward to seeing what they produce. However, I do believe that the competition between the Delta and Q will provide consumers with a lot of great features... I don't foresee either of us letting the other become complacent in development/features.
post #15 of 75 Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWhiteman View Post

Of course you can play media stored on other devices. Leaving that out wouldn't make sense to me. 3TB can actually fill up pretty quick (when you never delete anything and store all of your family photos/music/videos/movies on it).. that's why we give you the ability to use external storage and/or network storage.

Can Delta play ripped DVD and/or Bluray ISO from a network storage?
post #16 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 AM

I really like what I've heard so far, but there are a couple reasons that will probably steer me in another direction.

One is timing, as before summer I want to replace my cable co DVR and current PC with a single low heat PC that can exceed the capabilities of both so I don't have to listen to my air conditioning run so often. This is, however, personal, and I understand the choice to ship late this year.

The other reason is cost. While it certainly won't be as sleek or fancy (voice command remote?), I can build something similar to the Delta for a fair bit less, and I can do it in phases as my funds allow. My suggestion here would be to make a free upgrade to Windows 8 available by a certain date, as I'm certain you can obtain the licenses cheaper than us home/hobby builders. Something similar for Jelly Bean on your android emulator would be a nice bonus as well.

My $0.02
post #17 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

Can Delta play ripped DVD and/or Bluray ISO from a network storage?

Yes
post #18 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerMM View Post

I really like what I've heard so far, but there are a couple reasons that will probably steer me in another direction.

One is timing, as before summer I want to replace my cable co DVR and current PC with a single low heat PC that can exceed the capabilities of both so I don't have to listen to my air conditioning run so often. This is, however, personal, and I understand the choice to ship late this year.

The other reason is cost. While it certainly won't be as sleek or fancy (voice command remote?), I can build something similar to the Delta for a fair bit less, and I can do it in phases as my funds allow. My suggestion here would be to make a free upgrade to Windows 8 available by a certain date, as I'm certain you can obtain the licenses cheaper than us home/hobby builders. Something similar for Jelly Bean on your android emulator would be a nice bonus as well.

My $0.02

We completely understand. I am proud to say that this is a relatively low power/heat/noise device, and will not heat up your home. We'd love to ship now, but we're not quite to that stage yet.

A main goal of the Delta DVR is to enable people to have much of the functionality of an HTPC, but without having to build/maintain one. I've had them in the past (still have a couple), and they're great.. However, they do crash, need updates (that can then impact other aspects of the system), and not everything is necessarily fully integrated. We've been working to eliminate all of that for people. While the Delta DVR has plenty of functionality, another important goal has been simplicity. You don't need to be a geek to use the Delta DVR.
post #19 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Any plans to support network tuners (like HDHomeRun) for local OTA?
post #20 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 AM

Will it support extenders like the Xbox 360?
post #21 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Will it play MKV?

If not will the OS be locked down so we can't installed other software, codecs, eventghost, RCAware (HDMI-CEC), ect?
post #22 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
How many tuners and how many cablecards will the DeltaDVR use?

For example, one cablecard & 6 tuners, or two cablecards & 6 tuners? (The HDHRP six-tuner box needs two cablecards, even though one cablecard can decode 6 channels)
post #23 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot View Post

The real question is will there be extenders that don't suck (like the Xbox 360 does).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #24 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanWhiteman View Post

Thanks for your interest. Not specifying which AMD chip we're using yet... power consumption will get released around the same time frame as the chip.. What do you want to know about the UI?

I realized that the UI is standard MC, which is great. I am just wondering how the Blu-ray functionality is integrated into it (On HTPCs, it brings up CyberLink's or ArcSoft's custom MCE UI -- What are you using for the Blu-ray playback?).

Since you are also marketing the unit as a way to play back user's camera / camcorder content, a word of caution about the Fusion E-350 / E-450 (and, probably the G-series too -- because my request to AMD for clarification received no response) is warranted. They are notorious for not supporting playback of 1080p60 camcorder files (which are fast becoming common). Playback of such files on AMD's low-end HTPCs results in stutters and dropped frames. Hopefully, you guys do better QA.

Of course, I am also interested in knowing about MKV playback / ISO support / 3D Blu-ray support etc. that plenty of other posters in this thread have brought up.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #25 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Any plans for an app store? Will it support things like, hulu, netflix, hbogo, mlb.tv etc?
post #26 of 75 Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd like to know when specs will be released.
post #27 of 75 Old 04-21-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDing View Post

Any plans to support network tuners (like HDHomeRun) for local OTA?

We've been working with our friends over at Silicondust for tuners.. more details to come.
post #28 of 75 Old 04-21-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

On paper this sound like it could be a neat box to replace my WMC Mac Mini, however CableCARD support is one thing, tuning adapters are another.

How does it fare with TAs? Specifically the horrific Cisco boxes most TWC users are stuck with. If it loses signal lock like Moxis do or fails to communicate with TAs as TiVos do, then it won't be much of an improvement in this area.

We are working with Silicondust to ensure the best possible quality/performance, even with TAs.
post #29 of 75 Old 04-21-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot View Post

Yes
post #30 of 75 Old 04-21-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

Will it play MKV?

If not will the OS be locked down so we can't installed other software, codecs, eventghost, RCAware (HDMI-CEC), ect?

We are working hard to ensure support for all common codecs/formats.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page