What are you guys being charged for CableCard rentals? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 08-06-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The question is if your CableCo will allow you to pair it. Some do, some don't. If the CableCARD itself is not legit they may not do it. Plus some providers use Cisco while others use Motorola. If you buy that Cisco and your CableCO uses Motorola you're screwed. If you have a Tuning Adapter, the brand name of it might give you a clue as to which CableCARD brand plus if you have a CableCARD, you might just need to take a look at it of course.

Eric from ceton was talking about this just a couple of weeks back and he said one works almost all the time and the other brand doesn't but I don't remember exactly as I don't mind paying $2/mo for something that just works. Anyhow, I see if I can dig up the thread/post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 08-06-2013, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You will probably never find a cable provider that will allow a 3rd party cisco card to be used as getting it into the system would be a nightmare and probably at least require a $200 cash under the table fee and even then it may not work and be kicked out. In theory a moto card can be used on any moto system but getting the provider to allow it is probably just as hard.

What some forget is that some of the cablecard fee offsets the retransmisison fees as the content providers want fees for every set/tuner and these 4 and 6 tuner devices are blowing the model on how to charge out of proportion (satellite companies generally had fees based on every 2 tuners). Cox just recently added their 6 tuner STB and the DVR fee for that is $15/month (compared to $10 for 2-4 tuner models) + $10 service fee +$8.50 box rental (so $33.50/month, $402/year, for a 6 tuner DVR before any content is added, though the $10 fee supposedly provides a few more channels and allows an ipad app and a few other things. I say supposedly provides a few more channels as one gets these with a cablecard tuner such as a infinitv or prime included at no extra charge)

{edit: fixed ISP to cable provider... lately have been giving more support for cable modems where the term ISP is used more frequently to mean the cable provider}
post #63 of 78 Old 08-07-2013, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 192
And... they're all stolen or abandoned cable property, so good luck getting any of them activated.

Can't buy them at retail in the US, just like you can't buy some cableCo's STB. It's really sad that you can't buy cards since they are portable and cable charges way too much for them now, but you can thank the FCC for that.
post #64 of 78 Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
REMOVED FROM A WORKING COMCAST XFINITY CABLE BOX

One must ask, "why".

post #65 of 78 Old 08-07-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 211
The sole purpose of a CableCard is to hold decryption key for your specific provider. Each card has to be provisioned by the cable system in order to be useful. So, you can imagine why it is not available for retail purchase and why no cable cos will be willing to let you access their system with outside cablecard.
post #66 of 78 Old 08-07-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

They might allow you to use it but charge you the monthly fee for the service of maintaining the encryption keys.

post #67 of 78 Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

They might allow you to use it but charge you the monthly fee for the service of maintaining the encryption keys.

Never heard of that happening. CableCard is THE device to make sure you can only watch what you paid for. They don't mess with this.
post #68 of 78 Old 08-07-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Once they've paired it with you tuner it doesn't matter as it is the encryption keys that they are selling you. Like I said, they might do this, not they will do this.

post #69 of 78 Old 08-07-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Wishful thinking. Pairing is just one of the steps. Everyone remembered those DirectTV access cards that were pirated so widely back in the days. If the cable co didn't know what is on those cards, they can't trust it. Not to mention those are illegally stolen goods and shall never be allowed to be used anywhere.
post #70 of 78 Old 08-07-2013, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I pay 99 cents a month for cable card rental to Surewest (now Consolidated Communications) I pay $1.99 to rent a Cisco TA.
post #71 of 78 Old 08-08-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Comcast pays me $2.50 per month to use a cablecard. I'll stick with the Comcast provided one.

post #72 of 78 Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The sole purpose of a CableCard is to hold decryption key for your specific provider. Each card has to be provisioned by the cable system in order to be useful. So, you can imagine why it is not available for retail purchase and why no cable cos will be willing to let you access their system with outside cablecard.

They have to be paired with the cableCo to be fully activated so I'm not seeing the big deal here with buying them, it's not like you could just buy some pirate card, plug it in and get all the channels. Card auth is a two-way street and they could've whitelisted allowed manufacturers with verifiable keychains or whatever they wanted to only allow CableLabs certified cards to work.

And M-card is a standard, it's not like a Moto or Cisco card is different for every provider. Headend provisioning is something that could've been done as part of activation just like they push new firmware to the cards whenever they feel like it. They could completely overwrite everything on the card if they wanted to if this was part of the CableLabs device implementation spec.

If what you're saying is that the pirates can get around all of this, why are we able to buy DOCSIS standard cable modems at retail and get them activated with any cableCo? It's pretty much the same principle and also has encryption-key based security. And DOCSIS has been around way longer than CableCard.

I know why they went down this road but I'm not convinced they had to do it the way they did. Not that it matters now and given the small install base anyway it's not something that will ever change. Cards need to die and everyone knows it but the industry keeps dragging its feet on a downloadable conditional access standard.
post #73 of 78 Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
When I purchased a HDHomeRun Prime a few months ago; I also got a Motorola M-Card from ebay. Am on Comcast and they had no problem with activating it.

It has worked just fine since then.

Rew
post #74 of 78 Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I guess the question is if the cableco's cablecard charge is actually for the card itself. My guess is the fee is in using the cablecard and not for renting the card. Good luck buying one and getting the fee waived.

post #75 of 78 Old 08-08-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rew452 View Post

When I purchased a HDHomeRun Prime a few months ago; I also got a Motorola M-Card from ebay. Am on Comcast and they had no problem with activating it.

It has worked just fine since then.

Rew

Care to share a scanned copy of your bill showing that you have a CableCARD activated and that you don't have to pay a monthly fee for it or better yet get the credit that Comcast gives? Not that I don't believe you but having it laid out showing that it works would put this discussion to rest. Personal information need not be displayed of course.

Like mentioned earlier IDK if this works at all for Cisco cards.

post #76 of 78 Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM
CFC
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Comcast pays me $2.50 per month to use a cablecard. I'll stick with the Comcast provided one.
Same for me also:

Using a Ceton InfiniTV4

CFC

Signature goes here
post #77 of 78 Old 08-08-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I guess the question is if the cableco's cablecard charge is actually for the card itself. My guess is the fee is in using the cablecard and not for renting the card. Good luck buying one and getting the fee waived.

I would be amazed if Comcast activated an ebay card without an additional outlet fee here in the ATL, but then again their card billing is so scrrewed up and inconsistent between areas it might not be that amazing.
post #78 of 78 Old 08-08-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I could see the possibility of activating your own card if you can play dumb well enough and confuse the rep on the phone. Not sure how to avoid the fee though, on systems that charge a fee of course.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page