Should I still be using MyMovies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the demise of integral MediaCenter in Windows 8, should I be migrating to another movie management system that is devoid of Media Center? I have over 500 movies all in ISO format. I would like an easy way of migrating the cover art and collection management from MyMovies.
What are most people using and why? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Why?
Just because MC is no longer integrated with the OS in Win8, it doesn't mean that 7MC will stop working.
Heck, even XP MCE & Vista MC still work, if I wanted to run them.
It'll be a while for MS to stop supporting Win7 and even then it just means you can no longer contact them if you have any problems with the OS. The OS itself will keep running just fine.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Liked: 15
^ exactly. Unless you're using your HTPC for anything else other than using MyMovies and watching BR (like I do), there's no need to update to W8.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

No, the only thing the HTPC will be used for is ripping and watching ISO's.
Just wondering if most people are using something but MyMovies. The thing that I like about MyMovies, is that it is easy to work with. Everything is pretty much done for you. As far as ripping that is completely done by me outside of MM.
What I don't like is the contribution points, and MM having some identifiable info as to what my list is ect..
post #5 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer1977 View Post

Just wondering if most people are using something but MyMovies. The thing that I like about MyMovies, is that it is easy to work with. Everything is pretty much done for you.
What I don't like is the contribution points, and MM having some identifiable info as to what my list is ect..

Media Browser.
Loads better than My Movies.
Media Center Master for Meta-Data.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Loads better than My Movies.

define loads better
how so?
does it auto rip DVD/BR for you?
easier to use?
how does the needing 2 programs to do what MM does make it better?

note, I am only using MM for the collection management side of things... I have a hardware player for the playing side.... so how does MB+MCM stack up from just a collection management point of view?

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #7 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Nothing wrong with MyMovies. If you have everything set up running the way you like it, stick with what works.

I've been using it for a while now and quite like it.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-20-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

A little scared about being shaken down for some money down the road.
Also, bear mind that MM encrypts the xml file of your movies so you can't import them into another movie manager. I think I am correct about this.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A little scared about being shaken down for some money down the road.

they have been doing what they do, pretty much the same way for like forever (well it seems like forever in HTPC terms...) no shakedowns yet... what makes you think that will change?

Quote:

Also, bear mind that MM encrypts the xml file of your movies so you can't import them into another movie manager.

I sure hope not... as a un-encrypted XML is all I really use/need from MM...
ie if that where true my setup would not work... but my setup does work, so that must not be true...

as for if you can import them into another movie manager or not, that would be up to the movie manager that you want to import them into... MM wouldn't have anything to do with that...

but anyway, at the end of the day, if you want to change, change... why not? life is short, enjoy the ride,etc... so what if your new movie manager has to rebuild from scratch? if its any good it should be just fine doing it all on its own...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #10 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 06:31 AM

I also recommend Media Center Master.
post #11 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

define loads better
how so?
does it auto rip DVD/BR for you?
easier to use?

note, I am only using MM for the collection management side of things... I have a hardware player for the playing side.... so how does MB+MCM stack up from just a collection management point of view?

'Loads Better', IMO!

When I was first debating between MM and MB (few years ago), I used MM for a while. Good program, but not enough options for customizations. The interface was too bland for me. Plus it had features that I was never going to use (ripping for instance).
Then I tried MB....and never looked back. Light-weight program with fantastic visual options, themes etc.; makes it very easy to customize as you wish.
Fast, smooth, works very well with ISO mounting as well as external players.

And I have replicated this same setup across 20 or more installations, so consistency has never been an issue.

MB pulls & reads data from TVDB & TMDB but does not store it locally, only in a cache. So I use MCM to store metadata locally.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I have used MM and won't include it in my guides if that tells you anything.

Just my opinion, of course.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
So I wonder if mythTV will eventually become the OS of choice for HTPC users. This is really not good news for the HTPC crowd. The more I hear about windows 8 the less I want it.
post #14 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have over 500 movies all in ISO format. I would like an easy way of migrating the cover art and collection management from MyMovies.
What are most people using and why? Thanks

I believe this query never got answered.
Even if you choose to use something else instead of MM, as long as the program is capable of reading XML files, it will work.
MB for instance, will read the meta-data and also display the folder art and background images generated by MM (as long as they are stored locally in the correct format).
post #15 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

'Loads Better', IMO!

When I was first debating between MM and MB (few years ago), I used MM for a while. Good program, but not enough options for customizations. The interface was too bland for me. Plus it had features that I was never going to use (ripping for instance).
Then I tried MB....and never looked back. Light-weight program with fantastic visual options, themes etc.; makes it very easy to customize as you wish.

I don't need/use the 'front end' part.... how does the 'back end'/collection management compare to MM? also, can it share the library info with home automation controllers?

Quote:

Fast, smooth, works very well with ISO mounting as well as external players.

external players as in TMT/PDVD or external players as in Dune, Sage HDx00's,PCH,etc?

Quote:

MB pulls & reads data from TVDB & TMDB but does not store it locally, only in a cache.

that seems like a rather large oversight... local storage is cheap, especially the only couple of MB that metadata needs...
good that there is MCM as a work around... but kind of silly that a work around is even needed in the first place...

post #16 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't need/use the 'front end' part.... how does the 'back end'/collection management compare to MM? also, can it share the library info with home automation controllers?

external players as in TMT/PDVD or external players as in Dune, Sage HDx00's,PCH,etc?

that seems like a rather large oversight... local storage is cheap, especially the only couple of MB that metadata needs...
good that there is MCM as a work around... but kind of silly that a work around is even needed in the first place...

The front end's the most important part, otherwise I wouldn't use Media Center at all, I could simply use the mouse to open up the files and play them. The front-end is what allows the use of a remote control.

Don't know how MB would work with home automation controllers, never had the need to investigate that. Maybe in the future.

External software players like TMT etc.

Its not an oversight, a limitation perhaps, since it does pull and display meta-data.
And MCM cannot be called a workaround for MB (when it is specifically designed to obtain metadata).
A workaround would be defined as a solution to a hindrance or a problem, kinda like using ISO format to fool the software BD players to play ripped BDs.
MB does not hinder or prohibit metadata.

My Movies has been around for quite a while and has expanded into doing quite a few things. Its kind of an all-in-one package, while MB is a specialty front-end.

MM can do what MB does but MB cannot do all that MM does. However, it has deep customization options, more than MM.

And personally, I like it that way. I like to have more options and more control over what I do. Currently I have no need of MM but who knows, in the future, I may have an application where only MyMovies may work....home automation sounds intriguing.

Cheers!
post #17 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

oh well... MM as anyone who has used it knows, is not perfect... (even if all I am using is the collection management)
so always looking for alternatives...

post #18 of 19 Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
DVD Profiler is the only other "management" app I know of (for movies), everything else is a frontend with (or without) some sort of metadata scraping built in.

I haven't really looked at DVD Profiler in depth, but I don't think it has the capability to output metadata for streamers, and I don't know of any plugin to connect it to an automation system.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #19 of 19 Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

My AVR switches video, decodes audio, amplifies sound, and upscales lower resolution sources and sends it to my TV over an HDMI cable. It does a decent job for each of those things, although I'm sure some discrete devices could do the individual jobs better.

Quote:

MB wouldn't be needed for collection management if you are going to use a hardware player. I've used MCM and MM both for collection management and prefer MCM over MM. I thought MCM list of options was more extensive. MCM was also completely free at one point in time which gave it more of a leg up then MM with it's points system (without factoring in that points can be free if you contribute data back, or if you even need the "premium" features the points get you). I also preferred MCM interface for selecting the movie's information over MM selecting the specific DVD release. If you are ripping everything from original discs and cases, then getting the exact information is beneficial. If your content came from other sources, then it doesn't matter which of a dozen different almost identical releases the movie came from.

If/when it comes time that MM, WMC, or any other very popular HTPC software becomes obsolete, I would imagine that there probably will be many other people in the same boat. As such, there likely will be some type of an automation tool that will convert between formats if such a need arises.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page