Internet streaming? not netflix, etc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-22-2012, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking into an HTPC for the last few months or so. Outside of Ceton/HD prime with/out DVR, and playing ripped media, what other uses do you guys have for them? There are a few sites I use to watch tv shows, and sports (justin.tv, etc.) Is an HTPC a good alt for viewing these channels/sites? Do you guys do this?

Also, is there a Ceton/HDPrime for Dummies site or anything? Maybe I just catch the wrong threads, but they sem to be a lot of trouble, with updates and lagging/stuttering, etc. I am not pc savvy, so I wonder if it may be more of a headache than anything.

thanks,
JJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhearn View Post

I have been looking into an HTPC for the last few months or so. Outside of Ceton/HD prime with/out DVR, and playing ripped media, what other uses do you guys have for them? There are a few sites I use to watch tv shows, and sports (justin.tv, etc.) Is an HTPC a good alt for viewing these channels/sites? Do you guys do this?

After my family looked at what shows we wanted to watch on TV, and what shows we just watched because nothing else good was on, we just cut the cord and saved ~$70/month. Almost every show we wanted to watch on a regular basis was available OTA. Plus ripped movies, TV shows, and content from "other" sources.

For additional streaming sources, there's Netflix, Amazon, Blockbuster streaming, Hulu, Boxee, and Ruku applications and devices. Plus websites where the content providers stream the content directly themselves (CBS, Comedy Central, etc). That's not even considering sites like Justin.tv where quality can be substandard or come and go on a frequent basis.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-23-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Also, is there a Ceton/HDPrime for Dummies site or anything? Maybe I just catch the wrong threads, but they sem to be a lot of trouble, with updates and lagging/stuttering, etc. I am not pc savvy, so I wonder if it may be more of a headache than anything.

thanks,
JJ

Yes, and it's one of the primary uses for my HTPC. ESPN3, CBS Sports (things like the NCAA basketball tournament, golf tournaments, etc.), GoFightLive, various college websites that webcast their sporting events, etc.

Some of these broadcasts are virtually indistinguishable from HD via DirecTV.

Plus things like HBOGo and Amazon Prime videos.

Our HTPC gets used more for streaming than for watching recorded movies. And that's true even though we don't use Netflix.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-25-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

ok thanks.

I was just concerned with it wearing down using online streaming quicker than I would like. We already have Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. But, they all are played on seperate systems, ps3, xbox, roku, etc. I just didn't want to use an HTPC for the wrog reasons and find it was more a waste/headache than anything.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

ok thanks.

I was just concerned with it wearing down using online streaming quicker than I would like. We already have Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. But, they all are played on seperate systems, ps3, xbox, roku, etc. I just didn't want to use an HTPC for the wrog reasons and find it was more a waste/headache than anything.

I don't find it a headache. The folks who don't seem to like it are those who are wedded to using only WMC, XBMC or some other front end and consider it an afront to the name HTPC to ever open a browser window.

If you want to use all of the content available on the Internet, an htpc and browser are the only choice. NOTHING, not any front end, not any "box", provides access to everything.

Also, I don't use Netflix but by most accounts Netflix is not as good on an htpc as it is on several other sources.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I use my HTPC for all kinds of stuff. In fact, my HTPC is actually composed of multiple machines. I almost cut the cord completely; I just have limited basic cable from Comcast (locals plus Discovery, SyFy, WGN).

With this setup, I can play rips. I also have a DVR for shows that Hulu doesn't have or record just in case. I will even watch live TV. HDHomerun lets me do both. Plus, with Windows, I get a EPG at no additional costs.

I also watch a lot of sports--NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MotoGP. I hardly use stuff like Justin.tv because the quality is not reliable; I use here and there. I just buy the online passes. I use a VPN and don't worry about things like blackouts.

Hulu is actually a nice experience with the desktop app they have. Netflix, it's way behind on the PC compared to other devices such as the PS3, 360, Roku, and so forth. It's ok, but the HD content is limited, and no 5.1DD audio (as of yet). And as mentioned before, I use some sites direct from the content provider such as AETV and CBS.

Heck, I even use my HTPC to play some games; although it is limited to only OnLive.

On occasion, I will watch BR disc directly off a USB BR drive. I prefer to use Plex.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I use my HTPC for DirecTV SD (change to HD sometime this year) and streaming content. I used Macro TV for You Tube, TwIT and Revision3. But about 1.5 years ago development and updates stopped and when You Tube changed its code I didn't have access to it any longer.

I also use SecondRunTV 2.0 which is how I access ESPN3 and Crackle.

Recently I started looking at other options and found that XBMC fits my needs for streaming, TV Shows (DVD), Movies and Console Emulation.

Next week I will have all my new parts and make some additional changes.

But I watch streaming content after I get caught up on my recorded content.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #8 of 8 Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM

There is a ton of free content you can stream to an HTPC off the internet. Here is two page channel guide to some of the more popular internet TV channels

Internet TV Guide Channels A-N

Internet TV Guide Channels M-Z

Includes direct links to free legal movies and TV shows. Pretty much eliminates the need for Netflix or Hulu as it has a lot of the same stuff you will find there. smile.gif
These channel streams also work great with computer, tablet or smart phone.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page