Is this even possible? - One HDMI out to splitter to two ouptuts with different res - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-23-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a GT430 video card in my htpc and I'm outputting to an HDMI splitter which sends the signal to my projector (Optoma GT750) and my plasma (Panasonic TC-P55ST30). The problem I'm having is that when I resize the desktop to completely fill out my plasma, it will be too small on my projector, and I'll have a substantial black border. Is there any way around this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-23-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
hmm....assuming these two displays are in different rooms, do you run both at the same time?

Your PJ is 720p while the plasma is 1080p....so No.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

hmm....assuming these two displays are in different rooms, do you run both at the same time?

Your PJ is 720p while the plasma is 1080p....so No.

Same room. Not at the same time, but the splitter will always output the single signal to both displays. The problem is that if I want the image to fill up the screen, I'd have to manually adjust one or the other each time I switch between them.

For example, I can adjust the image to fill out my projector screen, but if I want to watch something on my plasma, it'd be over-filling the screen, and the outside areas will be cropped off.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundam83 View Post

Same room. Not at the same time, but the splitter will always output the single signal to both displays. The problem is that if I want the image to fill up the screen, I'd have to manually adjust one or the other each time I switch between them.

Ok, it makes more sense now.
HDMI splitters rarely do the job since the digital interface relies on device communication & handshakes. With a splitter, this communication will not be correct.

I think your best bet is to buy a HDMI switch with 2 outputs; a 2x2 or a 4x2 matrix switch from Monoprice.

Here's a 3D capable switch.

I've never used these, so I don't know how it will handle resolution.

I have a 2 display setup but I specifically purchased an AVR with dual HDMI outs. And the AVR switches the resolution perfectly every time.
Onkyo TX-SR876 paired with a HD5450/HD6450/HD5750.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
If you can set the video card output to 1080 (1920x1080), I don't see why it shouldn't work - regardless of whether they have different native resolutions, they are both designed to properly handle standard native video signals, including 1080p.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page