Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Hi all,

I would like to buy a motherboard to function as a WHS2011 + FLEX RAID home server.

I would like:

Maximum SATA connections
Intel Lan chipset

Benefits:
The asus DLNA, wifi, blutooth- stuff looked cool. It will be a server that serves in my home multiple PC,s HTPC, iphones and such... any cool cutting edge features are appreciated.

Budget = under $200 I hope.

OK AVS experts- enlighten and educate me

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 04-24-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Hi all,

I would like to buy a motherboard to function as a WHS2011 + FLEX RAID home server.

I would like:

Maximum SATA connections
Intel Lan chipset

Benefits:
The asus DLNA, wifi, blutooth- stuff looked cool. It will be a server that serves in my home multiple PC,s HTPC, iphones and such... any cool cutting edge features are appreciated.

Budget = under $200 I hope.

OK AVS experts- enlighten and educate me

$200? For you? Come on. To match that other system you built, I think you need a nice Tyan dual socket motherboard, a pair of Romley Xeons, couple hundred gigs of quad channel ram, etc.
post #3 of 50 Old 04-24-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I would like:

Maximum SATA connections
Intel Lan chipset

You are likely only going to find 4 SATA 3GB + 4 SATA 6GB ports or
6+2 configurations. There are a few boards with more then 8, but your options drop quickly while your price rises dramatically. I can't recommend any board specifically, but you can filter boards on Newegg pretty easily with their power search.
post #4 of 50 Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 168
You'd be better off going simple on the mobo and spending money on a good SATA card with the ports you need.

post #5 of 50 Old 04-24-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
post #6 of 50 Old 04-24-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks !

Anything else I should look for in features for a server board ?

I really wanted intel LAN. Seems like Asus is really only one doing this.

Should I bother with wifi or dlna streaming features ?

Worth getting a mobo with dual LAN that can be teamed ?

Would I be better using my current z68 Asus deluxe as server board and getting a different board for my main rig ?

I think my current Asus would make bad ass server board. It's got intel LAN and second LAN that can be teamed. It's got pretty much every feature you would want for a motherboard. It just kills me to use it for that since I feel it might be overkill

I think I need to wait a month and play a little more so I can decide what I really want.

I do have three SATA PCI cards btw ...

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 50 Old 04-24-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wish I had unlimited budget I would get an x79 AsRock xtreme9

-

post #8 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

I think my current Asus would make bad ass server board. It's got intel LAN and second LAN that can be teamed. It's got pretty much every feature you would want for a motherboard. It just kills me to use it for that since I feel it might be overkill

So you think it would be overkill for a server, but not for a HTPC?

post #9 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

So you think it would be overkill for a server, but not for a HTPC?

My HTPC is based on a $70 AsRock z68

My real pc in my office is an i7 on Asus deluxe.
This motherboard costs as much as my whole HTPC.

-

post #10 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Personally, I would focus more on how many high bandwidth PCIe slots it has, rather than the number of SATA ports. If you are going to have a decent size library on an HTPC, you will easily outgrow the number of ports on just about any motherboard. 6 ports vs. 8 ports is nothing when you end up needing 20. Most good HBA cards are going to be 8x. Good dual port NICs often use 4x slots. An alternative would be looking at boards that have SATA ports that are port multiplier capable, or SAS ports that can use expanders (though I'm not aware of any motherboard with SAS ports that you would call "cheap").

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #11 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

Personally, I would focus more on how many high bandwidth PCIe slots it has, rather than the number of SATA ports. If you are going to have a decent size library on an HTPC, you will easily outgrow the number of ports on just about any motherboard. 6 ports vs. 8 ports is nothing when you end up needing 20. Most good HBA cards are going to be 8x. Good dual port NICs often use 4x slots. An alternative would be looking at boards that have SATA ports that are port multiplier capable, or SAS ports that can use expanders (though I'm not aware of any motherboard with SAS ports that you would call "cheap").

suggestion ?

-

post #12 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe something like this. It's not cheap, but not expensive either. You really narrow down the choices when looking for an Intel NIC. It's the latest chipset, has plenty of PCIe slots, 6x SATA, plenty of USB (2.0 and 3.0), and has video output. You definitely need to be looking for that... no need for a dedicated video card sucking power in a server, and tying up one of your high bandwidth slots.

HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #13 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #14 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I like this board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131820

I must say , that board really peaks my curiosity as well . Has a ton of sata connectors and the on board intel either net X 2 .

I would be really curious as to what some other folks have seen with this board ?

On the surface that makes it a prime server board . Let's get some feed back
post #15 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I like this board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131820

Great minds think alike!!

This was the one I was looking at. I was watching that video on them and this one I really liked and also the one that streams dlna and bluetooth

-

post #16 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Great minds think alike!!

This was the one I was looking at. I was watching that video on them and this one I really liked and also the one that streams dlna and bluetooth

Intel Lan and tons of great features.

Asus memory controller is also superior to other MFG's on Z77. Read a cool review of that too.

Check it out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

I must say , that board really peaks my curiosity as well . Has a ton of sata connectors and the on board intel either net X 2 .

I would be really curious as to what some other folks have seen with this board ?

On the surface that makes it a prime server board . Let's get some feed back

I have owned many Asus boards. I have also owned other brands. It's clear to me that Asus is step up and superior in almost all areas you can measure.

If I am on a budget I like Asrock, but when your really looking for something good- Get an Asus.

Too many people have thought of the Motherboard market and product as a commodity- and that all motherboards are the same. It's clearly not the case.

-

post #17 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Regardless of the board you like, visit the support site and make sure they have Server 2008 R2 drivers. If they don't, you'll have to gamble with Windows 7 x64 drivers. And, having dealt with WHS 2011 on a desktop board, you may encounter some hard to track down freezes, BSODs, etc. I'd go for a real server board if I were you. You can save some cash if you already have a Core i3 laying around - there are Supermicro boards that support the LGA1156 socket and will accept an i3, if you don't want to get a Xeon or Pentium/Celeron processor.

If you want a server, don't worry about BT and all the crap that is not necessary for a server. Stick with hardware that works with a server OS and you'll be happy you did.
post #18 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am running a H67 board. None of those issues at all. Quite impressed with how smoothly it has gone. You are the first person I have seen at AVS specifically recommending getting a server motherboard, btw.
post #19 of 50 Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

Regardless of the board you like, visit the support site and make sure they have Server 2008 R2 drivers. If they don't, you'll have to gamble with Windows 7 x64 drivers. And, having dealt with WHS 2011 on a desktop board, you may encounter some hard to track down freezes, BSODs, etc. I'd go for a real server board if I were you. You can save some cash if you already have a Core i3 laying around - there are Supermicro boards that support the LGA1156 socket and will accept an i3, if you don't want to get a Xeon or Pentium/Celeron processor.

If you want a server, don't worry about BT and all the crap that is not necessary for a server. Stick with hardware that works with a server OS and you'll be happy you did.

I will be running WHS2011 and I only do socket 1155 at this point. I won't buy any older socket boards or cpu's. I clear out of that stuff. Ebay is my friend.

If I was not doing socket 1155 I would go LGA2011 since prices are coming down and they have about a bazzillionTrillion PCI lanes, Take insane Ram amounts and run it at crazy speeds, and overall just kick serious computing butt.

I am not going to spend $1000 on a CPU and $400 on a motherboard though.

But I would go $199+$199 for a decent set up.

That would let me use my current Asus Deluxe Z68 with Intel lan as a good server board. But that is not going to happen.

So I need an under $200 motherboard that is Socket 1155 - and I will use all the stuff I already have including a CPU.

I am using an H61 now. It's ok for a cheapo- but it's not a real solution. It's more a toy to play with for a short time.

Leading the pack is Asus right now.

But I guess I could get a different brand or non intel LAn board and just add a $20 Intel lan Card.

Is it worth getting a motherboard with dual lan that can be teamed?

-

post #20 of 50 Old 04-26-2012, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Although not a huge fan of Asus for there customer support , I would have to admit that the specs on that board are killer .

The 8 sata ports are not un heard of but still a bit unusual which i find really nice since you could have a pretty large server in it's own right with out having to go with the sata extender card immediately.

The intel lan is very fast and having two built on board !!! Ya, I would almost buy it just for that . So to me , ya it is worth it .

Not that reviews are very reliable but one person on N.E. has posted that WHS did not want to play nicely with this board AT ALL . Dunno if that is reliable info or not . Could be needing driver updates , bios revision etc. or he did not have a clue on what he was doing .

Not a ton of reviews on this exact board either which makes it tough to do a trigger pull

BTW ... thanks for the vid. post . I don't have speakers on my beater system so I could not use it
post #21 of 50 Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

BTW ... thanks for the vid. post . I don't have speakers on my beater system so I could not use it

Lol. Use another pc or your phone ?

It's amazing to me how many devices I have that can stream YouTube.

Up next: refrigerators will have a screen and wifi to do it. Lol

-

post #22 of 50 Old 04-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

LOL .... Refrigerators already have that capability..... no joke .

I work in residential construction ...... that is still a bit of an odd ball but have seen three this past year.
post #23 of 50 Old 04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Supermicro (and other server board manufacturers) has boards around $200, and there are Xeon processors for around the same, so you won't kill your budget. The LGA 1155 and 1156 socket boards are about the same, I just mentioned the 1156 because I know a lot of HTPC builders have them - no sense in buying a new processor if the one you have right now will work. There are 1155 server boards that also accept the new i3-2100 series, so you can stick with that processor in case you decide to move the processor to a desktop board.

No, there's no sense in teaming at all, unless you have a managed switch that you can configure to use it, anyway.
post #24 of 50 Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

LOL .... Refrigerators already have that capability..... no joke .

I work in residential construction ...... that is still a bit of an odd ball but have seen three this past year.

lol

-

post #25 of 50 Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Still looking for a mobo.

How come Asus is the only one that does INTEL LAN ???

You guys think this really makes a big difference?

-

post #26 of 50 Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Still looking for a mobo.

You guys think this really makes a big difference?

yes, do yourself a favor and go intel lan
post #27 of 50 Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

yes, do yourself a favor and go intel lan

If your server has Intel LAN and all your other HTPC's/PC's have non-Intel would you really see a boost in performance?
post #28 of 50 Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They aren't. The MSI board I linked to has Intel LAN.

post #29 of 50 Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

If your server has Intel LAN and all your other HTPC's/PC's have non-Intel would you really see a boost in performance?

Not sure. Would also like to hear answer.

-

post #30 of 50 Old 04-30-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

Not sure. Would like to hear answer too

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page