Convert 10-bit to 8-bit MKV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is there a program that can perform this task all-in-one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 08:18 PM

Liked: 17
Handbrake should do it. But if your computer has issues with 10bit playback you can expect re-encoding to take a really long time.

Edit: What problems are you having with 10bit? Have you tried using LAV filters?
post #3 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3693 View Post

Handbrake should do it. But if your computer has issues with 10bit playback you can expect re-encoding to take a really long time.

Edit: What problems are you having with 10bit? Have you tried using LAV filters?

I have no issues running 10-bit MKV, with WMC7 or MPC-HC. However, I prefer using Splash! Lite. It runs high-bit rate 1080P MKVs flawlessly, on a slower system like mine. Unfortunately, it doesn't support 10-bit MKV playback.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I used this tutorial.

You'll probably have to play with the bit rates a little to try to keep file size to quality ratio optimal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #5 of 10 Old 04-26-2012, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

^

I used that tutorial as well. Unfortunately, getting the correct bitrate /quality to my liking would be tedious, aside from the lengthy transcoding process. Thank you for sharing, though. I've been tinkering with my DVDFab and Handbrake, as well. Unfortunately, they I cannot get them to downsample the original encoding to 8-bit, properly.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Liked: 10
OMG I cant believe all you freakin codeheads cant get your act together and make a stand alone converter for converting 10 bit mkv to 8 bit .You guys love a tech challenge ....Get to it!!. Be the first nerd warrior to bust this challenge and I'll buy you a BJ from the local skank wink.gif.Just trying to watch some really cool anime and some tech head goofus decides to upgrade the encoding. Now most of us cant watch the damed shows on the widescreen.Sure CCCP got their s**t together but its better on the Big TV! I know most of us cant match brain pans with you codeheads so please throw us a bone will ya. Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 AM

Liked: 10
OMG I cant believe all you freakin codeheads cant get your act together and make a stand alone converter for converting 10 bit mkv to 8 bit .You guys love a tech challenge ....Get to it!!. Be the first nerd warrior to bust this challenge and I'll buy you a BJ from the local skank wink.gif.Just trying to watch some really cool anime and some tech head goofus decides to upgrade the encoding. Now most of us cant watch the damed shows on the widescreen.Sure CCCP got their s**t together but its better on the Big TV! I know most of us cant match brain pans with you codeheads so please throw us a bone will ya. Thanks in advance.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 227
A 10-bit MKV has already been re-compressed from a higher quality source, as there are no 10-bit native commercial video sources today.
10-bit is used because it allows for much higher compression efficiency than 8-bit compression does, as it tends to do a much better job avoiding macroblocking on large areas of similar color shades. (I think it's mostly used with animated content?)
If you convert this 10-bit file back to 8-bit, you need to increase the filesize a lot or else you will be further reducing the image quality by encoding the video a third time.

Just use a player that can actually handle 10-bit content, or maybe buy the content instead of stealing it.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Its not as simple as flipping a switch, that why there's no software that can do what you want. The video needs to be encoded again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 48
conversions are gonna make it look bad.
Idk, just use the other player.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page