Need Help - Slowdown in Transfer Speed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Need some help here. I have been running into this issue and have yet to determine the cause for this. I am hoping someone here has an answer or can direct me to an appropriate place to get a solution.

My set-up: I have an HTPC internal SSD drive Windows 7. Connected via esata port multiplier is a Rosewill RSV-S4-X (4 bay HDD external raid case) equipped with two Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003 2TB 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" hard drives. I do not have this set up as Raid - only as JBOD.

When things are running healthy, the transfer rates are pretty quick. Below is an output of the HDD transfer test frm PC Wizard. When transfers are happening at the healthy rat, I can burn the movie on a bluray to MKV in 30 minuites.

After a period of time, the transfer rate slows way down. I have not determined the cause of the slowdown, only that is happens quickly. The only way I can describe it is that when I am burning a Blu-ray - for example creating a MKV (via MakeMKV) the data seems to come through in spurts. As I watch the transfer, it sputter or almost like data is transfered in small packets. With these slow rates, to burn the same Bluray movie takes well over 3 hours. Here is the same output from PC Wizard when the transfer rates are all goofy.

Now I have tried a bunch of things - restart, unplug, uninstall and reinstall drivers, etc. and nothing seems to fix the issue consistently. It seems like one thing will work and the transfer rates will get back to where they should be, but then after a bit it gets bogged down. I go through the whole process of restarting, unplugging, etc. Now its stuck at t he slow transfer rate. It's almost as if the data line is clogged (if that makes sense). I am racking my head on this because I cannot figure out what the issue is.

One thing is for sure - I know its not the Bluray drive. As a test, when the transfer was slow, I burned a movie to the internal SSD and it was lightning fast.

I'm thinking its a driver issue? the esata cord? I haven't set it correctly? I'm at wits end and about to scrap the external case and put all the drives internal - problem is I don't have a ton of HDD space to expand internally.

Any ideas - help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
How long into the process does the slowdown occur? It could be that there is a buffering period that exaggerates the speed early but then slows to a more realistic timeframe. If you post your CPU specs and MakeMKV settings, people might be able to give a better idea of how long the rip should take.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 View Post

How long into the process does the slowdown occur? It could be that there is a buffering period that exaggerates the speed early but then slows to a more realistic timeframe. If you post your CPU specs and MakeMKV settings, people might be able to give a better idea of how long the rip should take.

Thanks for the reply. Don't think the buffering is the issue nor the MakeMKV settings. Reason I say this is because I have about 100 movies ripped and have ripped several movies in a row (10+) without slowdown.

One thing I forgot to mention - and this maybe important (not sure). I first noticed the slowdown occur after watching a movie with XBMC. If I tested the HDD transfer speeds after, I would get the slow speeds. At first I thought there was something to this, but of late I am not 100% sure that it always correlates.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

post #5 of 5 Old 04-27-2012, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Those are advanced format drives. My last Seagate drive automatically handled alignment and Windows 7 is AF aware, but I wonder if your combination of external case/port multiplier/JBOD combination is causing an issue.

Another thing is drive fragmentation. I have 4 internal drives of various brands and sizes accessible via WHS 2003 drive extender as a single disk. I was experiencing horrible performance across a gigabit network for some movies but not other. It ended up two of the drives were severely fragmented, with some files having 5-6k fragments. The drives were just thrashing about. Defragmenting made a drastic improvement.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page