HTPC header on newer Intel mainboards - what can you do with it? - AVS Forum
Home Theater Computers > HTPC header on newer Intel mainboards - what can you do with it?
TOMillr's Avatar TOMillr 04:10 AM 04-26-2012
I've just upgraded my Win7-based MC with a new Intel DH61AG which comes with a "htpc" labeled header on the mainboard which I've never seen before. The manual only provides information on the pin layout but doesn't say anything about what this port is actually used for:

Especially the "recording_led" thing makes me curious... Does anyone have some informations on how this header works? Do I need some piece of software to have it work with the MC software itself?

sbermunk's Avatar sbermunk 06:56 AM 04-26-2012
I just got a DH77DF board that has the same header, and I was wondering also...
hirent's Avatar hirent 07:21 AM 04-26-2012
It is used for HDMI-CEC connections.

"Besides the consumer IR (CIR) header found on other Intel Media Series boards which supports an internal Microsoft eHome IR receiver, the DH61AG also includes two other connectors that position it perfectly for HTPC use. The first is the appropriately named “HTPC” header which can be used to enable the “RECORDING_LED” feature as well as the much more interesting potential for HDMI CEC device control from the PC. Like the CIR header, third-party hardware will be required to enable CEC, but for those who are interested in the RECORDING_LED’s simple on/off status indicator LcdWriter supports it currently. Unfortunately the CEC controller hardware is not yet available from third party suppliers so the feature went untested; hopefully this omission can be corrected shortly."

Here, read the full review; Intel DH61AG

Review of the USB CEC Adapter. Especially read the last page.

Edit: Interesting possibility here:
"For pre-built HTPCs like the ASRock Core series or Vision 3D series / Zotac ZBox series, the manufacturers could get rid of the MCE remotes and integrate CEC functionality in the system (for control through the TV remote). In the higher end systems, they could optionally bundle in the Motorola Nyxboard Remote for full home theater control through the HTPC."
doozer12's Avatar doozer12 07:45 AM 04-26-2012
I would get one just for the rec LED. A simple, unnecessary thing, but one I wish I had.
Diverge's Avatar Diverge 09:10 AM 04-26-2012
I just hooked up an LED to the Recording LED pins of the HTPC header on a DG61AG, but I couldn't get it to work. Anyone else try it?

I'll try swapping the polarity when I get home (just incase my case is wired backwards).
SAM64's Avatar SAM64 12:13 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:

I just hooked up an LED to the Recording LED pins of the HTPC header on a DG61AG, but I couldn't get it to work.

The "recording LED" pin is active low. Use a current limiting resistor as well.
Diverge's Avatar Diverge 12:28 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

The "recording LED" pin is active low. Use a current limiting resistor as well.

K, thanks. I'll give it a try when I get home.
makryger's Avatar makryger 07:29 AM 05-13-2012
You can use the HDD light as a recording LED- no extra htpc header necessary. Works on almost any motherboard. Just download LEDSDriver.
Smitty2k1's Avatar Smitty2k1 03:02 PM 05-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by makryger View Post

You can use the HDD light as a recording LED- no extra htpc header necessary. Works on almost any motherboard. Just download LEDSDriver.

Wow that looks very cool, I've never even thought about custom LED indicators and control before... hmmmm....
hirent's Avatar hirent 05:25 AM 05-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by makryger View Post

Thanks!
Learned something new today.
ZombieTheater's Avatar ZombieTheater 03:55 AM 05-15-2012
LED driver is pretty cool. Here is how I set mine up. First my case came with 2 blue LEDs, I replaced one with a red LED. On my MB there was a choise for LED power or LED standby. I used standby and changed a setting in the BIOS, this allowed the red LED to activate only when in S3 and keeps it on solid(no flashing) and off when the HTPC is on. I did this because it matches the way the TV's LED works(off=red led on, on=led off) The second LED(blue) got connected to an internal comm port that the LEDSDriver controls. I set this one to flash rapidly if the HTPC is muted, flash slowly if it woke up for an automated task(recording/updates) or if it is in away mode, its off the rest of the time.
pittsoccer33's Avatar pittsoccer33 07:04 AM 05-30-2012
are there some cases that are primed to take advantage of this?

i am also having trouble finding cases with ir receivers built into them. for me it is either that or buying one with a 3.5" external bay and buying an imon receiver.

is everybody else really just using usb based ir receiver that sit outside the case?
TOMillr's Avatar TOMillr 03:48 AM 02-16-2013
I've just noticed that there's a small utility on the Intel site which triggers the recording_led port when Windows Media Center is recording something:

Intel Recording LED Driver

Did anyone give this a try already?
Up
Mobile  Desktop