Ati Pixel Format defaults to RGB after reboot. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I know this has been mentioned before about the pixel format setting not sticking but have not found anything that will resolve it, no mention of a fix in the EDID thread either.

Scenario: set pixel format to YbCr 4:4:4 but when i have rebooted or the HTCP is shut down and booted, it keeps defaulting back to RGB 4:4:4 limited and i keep having to change it back, all my other sources and display are at YbCr and so need this set to the same.

I'm using HD4870/HDMI converter - Onkyo 806 - Pioneer 600M.

Using an EDID edit to get LPCM 5.1, latest CCC 12.3 but didn't work with any driver i have used.

Any help to sort this out would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I had a similar problem a couple of months ago. My pixel format would just change randomly. Try uninstalling Catalyst and video drivers, reboot, remove all traces of ati driver with drivesweeper, reboot, install latest Catalyst drivers.

Also, let me know when you want to sell your terrible, awful, 600M that you certainly don't want to use anymore. I have a 500M and could use something larger :P
post #3 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hi Lockdown, i saw your thread on the subject, i'll give your suggestion a try!

To top it off i also seem to have DXVA broken, never needed codec packs and never really liked them but may post a new thread about that.

Ps. come over and help yourself to my 600m
post #4 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Didn't work

This is the full run down on 2 causes of the problem..

1)Reboot - defaults to RGB (green screen), go into CCC select YbCr and accept, screen flickers but stays Green (RGB format), CCC shows YbCr!

2)Select another video source on AVR, come back to PC input - defaults to RGB (green screen), go into CCC select YbCr and accept, screen flickers but stays Green (RGB format), CCC shows YbCr!

Only way to get it to output actual YbCr is to turn off/standby the 600m for a few seconds, then turn the display back on, screen is normal, check CCC YbCr showing.

If any of the first two actions are taken, locks back to RGB (green screen), 600m turned off again to remedy!

I would also mention i'm in extended desktop 17" LCD main screen and AVR- 600m as extended.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post

Didn't work

This is the full run down on 2 causes of the problem..

1)Reboot - defaults to RGB (green screen), go into CCC select YbCr and accept, screen flickers but stays Green (RGB format), CCC shows YbCr!

2)Select another video source on AVR, come back to PC input - defaults to RGB (green screen), go into CCC select YbCr and accept, screen flickers but stays Green (RGB format), CCC shows YbCr!

Only way to get it to output actual YbCr is to turn off/standby the 600m for a few seconds, then turn the display back on, screen is normal, check CCC YbCr showing.

If any of the first two actions are taken, locks back to RGB (green screen), 600m turned off again to remedy!

I would also mention i'm in extended desktop 17" LCD main screen and AVR- 600m as extended.

So couldn't the problem be that the KRP-600M is not correctly switching to YbCr? What happens if you just force it instead of leaving on automatic detection?
post #6 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The KRP's will look best using RBG limited, at least per Dnice. That is what I set my computer for my KRP-500M.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

The KRP's will look best using RBG limited, at least per Dnice. That is what I set my computer for my KRP-500M.

This is a topic I have always found EXTREMELY confusing, and I think it might be complicated by your particular media playback software. XBMC, as I understand, converts every thing to RGB 0-255. So if you you have your driver set to RGB limited, wouldn't you be going from studio levels, to RGB full, to RGB limited? Is this really desirable? IIRC, my krp-500m is set to RGB full, and everything seems okay. Oddly, I tried setting my PS3 to RGB full, and playing back the same video, blacks were horribly crushed.

I've also heard that the the automatic color range detection on the krp-500m/600m doesn't always work correctly, which further complicates the issue.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
lockdown571 -

I have the same issue and have never been able to solve it. It's extremely frustrating. However, are you sure that the ATI is changing the pixel format upon reboot, or is it turning back on its terrible image corrections found in the ATI CCC? I'm not sure but I began to think it was the latter. I call it the "pink hair issue" where, when watching video, women with blonde hair would appear pink after reboot. Colors are washed out and generally look like ****.

No amount of reinstalling, wiping, etc. has solved the problem for me. I will never buy ATI again due to this issue. If anyone else has had any luck, please chime in.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haubrija View Post

lockdown571 -

I have the same issue and have never been able to solve it. It's extremely frustrating. However, are you sure that the ATI is changing the pixel format upon reboot, or is it turning back on its terrible image corrections found in the ATI CCC? I'm not sure but I began to think it was the latter. I call it the "pink hair issue" where, when watching video, women with blonde hair would appear pink after reboot. Colors are washed out and generally look like ****.

No amount of reinstalling, wiping, etc. has solved the problem for me. I will never buy ATI again due to this issue. If anyone else has had any luck, please chime in.

That's funny, because that's also how I first noticed the issue. I watch the show Parks and Recreation every week, and Leslie's bright blond hair would have a pink tint.

And yes, I have also seen post-processing options spontaneously turn back on in Catalyst before. Catalyst must have some SERIOUS issues. I'm never buying ATI again either.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hitman- View Post

I know this has been mentioned before about the pixel format setting not sticking but have not found anything that will resolve it, no mention of a fix in the EDID thread either.

Scenario: set pixel format to YbCr 4:4:4 but when i have rebooted or the HTCP is shut down and booted, it keeps defaulting back to RGB 4:4:4 limited and i keep having to change it back, all my other sources and display are at YbCr and so need this set to the same.

I'm using HD4870/HDMI converter - Onkyo 806 - Pioneer 600M.

Using an EDID edit to get LPCM 5.1, latest CCC 12.3 but didn't work with any driver i have used.

Any help to sort this out would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.

Is there any reason why you are using the latest drivers? Many have not passed CCC 10.12
post #11 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignickfly View Post

Is there any reason why you are using the latest drivers? Many have not passed CCC 10.12

Sorry, do you mean many HTPC users have are using 10.12 or older? Are the older drivers suppose to be more stable? Generally, it's recommended to use the latest official drivers for your hardware! Now if there's good reason to use 10.12, I'd like to know.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Sorry, do you mean many HTPC users have are using 10.12 or older? Are the older drivers suppose to be more stable? Generally, it's recommended to use the latest official drivers for your hardware! Now if there's good reason to use 10.12, I'd like to know.

The card he is using is similar to mine. I have HD4850 and have tried on several occasion to use the latest drivers. The issues I have come across are: Suttering, Pixel format not sticking, CCC not opening, black levels, colour expansion just to name a few.

Take it as a suggestion or search AVS for "Catalyst 10.12"
post #13 of 21 Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replys.

As i have said it happens with any driver i've tried, 10.1x, 11.1x, 12.1x!

Thing is i know the kuros work best with RGB but the HTPC always defaults to RGB full all the time, KRP's have a colourspace bug when set to auto (which lockdown has come across), so i have it forced to YbCr, which is conveinient with my different sources and outputs, especially due to my sat receiver (skyHD) having a fixed output of YbCr and have set everything else to this, so as to use the KRP@YbCr and not auto.

Side note: on the DXVA thing, i tried sharks codecs x86 and x64 installed last night and if i try and use DXVA HA, video breaks (pixellation, loads of solid green), de-select DXVA and the video returns to normal, this is with both x86/x64 players.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 PM

Have you tried using DVI to the KURO? there are more controls available in CCC when using DVI a connection.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-28-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignickfly View Post

Have you tried using DVI to the KURO? there are more controls available in CCC when using DVI a connection.

No i haven't tried that, however i'm running through an AVR then to the display.

Anyway i found what is causing my DXVA problem, it looks like my aging 4870 is on it's way out, it seems the onboard memory (512mb) was the cause and when i overclock the memory +5mhz then set it back to defualt speeds DVXA works again but if i shut the HTPC down and boot back up, DXVA is broken again, so i have to do the above to fix it again.

So i'm going to get a new card i think, one that is fanless, low power and can bitstream HD audio, i've been looking at the Sapphire RADEON HD 6670 Ultimate 1gb memory.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-28-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

If you're having trouble with at ati, why not try nvidia? Maybe get a gt 430 or 520?
post #17 of 21 Old 04-28-2012, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

If you're having trouble with at ati, why not try nvidia? Maybe get a gt 430 or 520?

Never got on with Nvidia but open to suggestions, i've decided to open a new thread for GFX card recommendations here..

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1407876
post #18 of 21 Old 10-26-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

That's funny, because that's also how I first noticed the issue. I watch the show Parks and Recreation every week, and Leslie's bright blond hair would have a pink tint.

And yes, I have also seen post-processing options spontaneously turn back on in Catalyst before. Catalyst must have some SERIOUS issues. I'm never buying ATI again either.

Hello All,

I am having this very same issue as Lockdown and Haubrija with my ati 6850 card giving a red tint on recorded TV and it's driving me nuts. Did anyone ever find a solution? My pixel setting in CCC is maintaining YCbCr and desktop looks good so I think it's not the original lose settings after reboot issue that started this post...just seems to be an issue when watching TV in WMC.

one note - I noticed that if I pause the recording. alt+tab to the desktop then alt+tab back to WMC the pink hair is gone. However, if I resume the playback from pause it goes back to pink.

Regards,
McNubbins
post #19 of 21 Old 10-26-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I never found a fix. It happens in multiple versions of Catalysts 12.x. The only solution was replacing the card with an Nvidia 430 GT. No problem since.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the reply! I received a message from Haubrija indicating that he discovered it was being caused by the Color "enhancement" setting "Flesh tone correction". I disabled it and the blonde hair pink issue went away. it's strange because this enhancement indicates that it will reduce the redness in flesh tones though it was actually adding it in for my view.

FYI - Haubrija also recommends to disable all the basic and advanced enhancements with the exception of automatic deinterlacing and pulldown detection as he feels they just degrade the video quality... .

Thanks again,
McNubbins
post #21 of 21 Old 10-27-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I ALWAYS disable all of those "enhancement" features. That doesn't fix the pixel format problem though. Also, those enhancement features also spontaneously turned back on for me on multiple occasions.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page