AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Instructions

1. Remove all Hard Drives currently connected to you system with the exception of the targeted SSD or traditional SATA Drive that will be used for either your WHS 2011 Operating System .

NOTE - Remember to insure all previous Data you want saved from the targeted drive is removed before installation or it will be permanently lost.

2. Format an NTFS USB Flash Drive, and create a file on it using notepad in the root called cfg.ini. (Insure there is nothing else on the USB)

3. Open the cfg.ini in notepad or any other text editor

4. Cut and Paste the following into the cfg.ini file below

[WinPE]
ConfigDisk=1
CheckReqs=0
WindowsPartitionSize=MAX

5. Close the file and save it on the USB Flash Drive.

6. Insert the USB Flash Drive with the cfg.ini file into the targeted WHS 2011 Server's empty USB Slot.

7. Power up your Server and insure that either your Windows Home Server 2011 install DVD has been inserted into your Servers ROM.

8. Once your Server has booted off the install DVD the Installer will read the CFG.ini file and begin the automated install process. There should be NO User Input required during this time.

9. When your Server Installer has finished its first part of the Install and goes to reboot for the 1st time REMOVE the USB Flash Drive and the Install DVD from your Server BEFORE your server boots back up ( As shown below). This will allow the Server upon rebooting to find your hard drive and continue the installation from there without further interruption.

10. No Further action on your part will be required and the rest of the install will finish automatically, again without any user intervention.

11. Once the installation has completed please plug in any other drives and continue with completing your server build.

Guys I need help. I am having issue installing with this method. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I took a USB3.0 8GB stick- formatted it NTFS- then I named a wordpad document cfg.ini and saved it to the USB stick. IT is the only file on the USB stick.

I opened it up- copied and pasted:

[WinPE]
ConfigDisk=1
CheckReqs=0
WindowsPartitionSize=MAX

Then saved it again to the USB stick. I verified it was there, then inserted it into my Server motherboard.

The only drive I have hooked up is a 60GB SSD drive, and also a SATA DVD drive to install the DVD install disc from.

The instructions say no user input required. But when I boot up it goes to the screen asking me for new or existing install.

If I choose NEW then it gives me an error message. I assume the error is that the drive is too small.

HELP ???
Idea?s

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

NO help AVS???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 30 Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, that won't work... you need to copy the contents of the WHS install disc onto the USB drive, then place the cfg.ini on the root of the USB drive. But first you have to make the USB drive bootable, the instructions to do this are just a google search away.

Your cfg.ini looks good though, I added the serial# and some other stuff to mine:

[WinPE]
CheckReqs=0
PID=WHS serial #
ConfigDisk=1
WindowsPartitionSize=MAX

[InitialConfiguration]
ServerName=your server name
Settings=All
PlainTextPassword=your server pw
PasswordHint=password hint
post #4 of 30 Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hmmm none of the instructions I am finding say I should copy the install DVD to the USB.

Is that what you did ?

-

post #5 of 30 Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Yes and it worked. I used a 60GB SSD for WHS 2011.
post #6 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 03:41 AM

Use this tool first:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

Then, add your .ini file...

One quick note...after you boot from the USB key and run the installer, the installer will modify the .ini file. You will have to edit the .ini file before you try to boot from it again. It adds some setting like "Parse cfg.ini=N", which will cause it to skip the .ini file the next time you try to use it. It's been a while since I did this, so I don't remember the exact line.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I did the cfg.ini file to USB and the install from DVD and it worked.

It looks like you posted the same guide that I followed.
http://connecteddigitalworld.com/201...er-than-160gb/

Your file is called cfg.ini and not cfg.ini.txt?

post #8 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I did the cfg.ini file to USB and the install from DVD and it worked.

It looks like you posted the same guide that I followed.
http://connecteddigitalworld.com/201...er-than-160gb/

Yeah.

I think so.

Can you clarify what "in the root" means?

I saved a notepad doc on The empty USB drive and named it cfg.ini
Then I opened it and copied the above and save it again. Then moved it to the server and tried installing.

Each time it loads from DVD and brings me to set up screen showing my SSD drive. If I choose that drive it fails.

My understanding was that the cfg.ini file on the USB should make the install skip this screen ? Yes ?

So. Either my file is wrong ? Or my bios settings are. Do you set boot priority to DVD Sata? USB ? Or SSD ?

-

post #9 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post

Use this tool first:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

Then, add your .ini file...

One quick note...after you boot from the USB key and run the installer, the installer will modify the .ini file. You will have to edit the .ini file before you try to boot from it again. It adds some setting like "Parse cfg.ini=N", which will cause it to skip the .ini file the next time you try to use it. It's been a while since I did this, so I don't remember the exact line.

So you mean if I try to use the USB stick again for another installation ?

Or do you mean upon system restart as part of the original install ?

-

post #10 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
That it's named cfg.ini.txt is the first thought that comes to my mind too. Notepad is notorious for doing that. One way to avoid that is open a command prompt in the root of the USB drive and type 'notepad cfg.ini'. Then it'll ask you if you want to create it. When you save it won't tack on the .txt.

post #11 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

That it's named cfg.ini.txt is the first thought that comes to my mind too. Notepad is notorious for doing that. One way to avoid that is open a command prompt in the root of the USB drive and type 'notepad cfg.ini'. Then it'll ask you if you want to create it. When you save it won't tack on the .txt.

Explain this a little more.

How do I open a command prompt in the root of the USB?

-

post #12 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Well- I have a Patriot USB3.0 8GB stick. I formatted it NTFS quick format method. I opened notepad and selected SAVE AS and named the file CFG.INI

When I look back it just shows as cfg

But if I click properties it looks like ini is there.

check this out:

What am I doing wrong?

-

post #13 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM

Liked: 13
Do yourself a favor and go into Windows Explorer, Organize, Folder and Search Options, View, and uncheck in advanced settings "Hide extensions for known file types."

This, IMO, is the dumbest default setting that Windows explorer has. Not only is it confusing and makes dealing properly with file extensions difficult (because they are hidden), but I think it is dangerous. Changing this default is the first thing I change on any new Windows install.
post #14 of 30 Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanM View Post

Do yourself a favor and go into Windows Explorer, Organize, Folder and Search Options, View, and uncheck in advanced settings "Hide extensions for known file types."

This, IMO, is the dumbest default setting that Windows explorer has. Not only is it confusing and makes dealing properly with file extensions difficult (because they are hidden), but I think it is dangerous. Changing this default is the first thing I change on any new Windows install.

Thanks

-

post #15 of 30 Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 146
your not putting it in a usb 3 slot are you? Windows needs extra drivers for usb 3

post #16 of 30 Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I did try that. . Also a 2.0 slot too

-

post #17 of 30 Old 04-28-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I got it to work with f10 hack

-

post #18 of 30 Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I got it to work with f10 hack

As soon as you are greeted with the screen asking if you want a new install or to repair a previous one push Shift + F10 to bring up cmd.

Type "notepad.exe" without quotes then click file open and browse to sources/SKU/SERVERHOMEPREMIUM.def (you may have to select all files at the bottom so you can see the .def file).

From inside here you can change your amount of ram, number of cpu cores, HDD space, and processor speed to suit your needs. Save and close notepad.

Type "wpshell.exe" without quotes and hit enter => setup will restart with the new parameters.

-

post #19 of 30 Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM

I had all sorts of problems, turns out my PC wouldn't read the USB stick whilst booting. I think this is to do with the fact that my motherboard does not allow USB booting either. Fix was to use both CD drives with the cfg.ini file in the second drive. Now works great. Good luck everyone.
post #20 of 30 Old 10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Ebbs View Post

I had all sorts of problems, turns out my PC wouldn't read the USB stick whilst booting. I think this is to do with the fact that my motherboard does not allow USB booting either. Fix was to use both CD drives with the cfg.ini file in the second drive. Now works great. Good luck everyone.

For those of you who use my server guides I am working on a guide for this issue. I will have 2 ways to use a drive smaller than 160GB.
post #21 of 30 Old 10-11-2012, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I installed WHS on a 320GB drive. After it was installed I couldn't help but notice that WHS split the drive into two separate partitions. The OS was installed on a 60GB partition with the remainder of the drive used for the 2nd partition. My plan is to simply clone the OS partition to a 64GB SSD and make it bootable.

Is it me or does it seem strange that WHS requires you to use a 160GB drive as a minimum but only uses the first 60GB? The OS only occupies about 20GB of the first partition so 60GB is obviously more than ample capacity for the installation. Just another one of those annoying features that Microsoft includes at no extra cost.rolleyes.gif
post #22 of 30 Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

For those of you who use my server guides I am working on a guide for this issue. I will have 2 ways to use a drive smaller than 160GB.

Guides are done. Enjoy.
post #23 of 30 Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I installed WHS on a 320GB drive. After it was installed I couldn't help but notice that WHS split the drive into two separate partitions. The OS was installed on a 60GB partition with the remainder of the drive used for the 2nd partition. My plan is to simply clone the OS partition to a 64GB SSD and make it bootable.
Is it me or does it seem strange that WHS requires you to use a 160GB drive as a minimum but only uses the first 60GB? The OS only occupies about 20GB of the first partition so 60GB is obviously more than ample capacity for the installation. Just another one of those annoying features that Microsoft includes at no extra cost.rolleyes.gif

It's not you.

it does require a 160GB.

But it's pretty easy to open the window and edit the file size limit. I made mine 30GB instead and it worked great.

Very easy infact. I reinstalled once again later for another reason- and it installed on my 60GB SSD.

I picked up a cheapo $44 Agility SSD for the boot drive in my server and it works great.

-

post #24 of 30 Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Guides are done. Enjoy.

You need two ways.

One way worked for me the first time.

The second method was required the second time.

It made no sense to me at the time, but it worked and was easy enough.

-

post #25 of 30 Old 10-12-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

You need two ways.
One way worked for me the first time.
The second method was required the second time.
It made no sense to me at the time, but it worked and was easy enough.

I have a guide now for both ways.
post #26 of 30 Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Dug this up looking for the F10 hack... For some reason the USB method never works for me.

-

post #27 of 30 Old 07-12-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438027/planning-to-rebuild-my-20tb-whs-flexraid-server-information-requested/1100_100#post_23522296

Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit:
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58996.iso
Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit:
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso
Windows 7 Professional 32Bit:
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59183.iso
Windows 7 Professional 64Bit:
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59186.iso
Windows 7 Ultimate 32Bit:
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59463.iso
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit:
http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso

If your trying to install Windows home server to SSD smaller than 160GB here is how I do it:

Hit SHIFT +F10 to bring up command prompt. Then type : notepad.exe and hit enter. This will bring up the Notepad. Click file then open and browse to SKU/SERVERHOMEPREMIUM.def. You need to select all files at the bottom, and not just word files to see it. Then just edit the size of the HDD from the 160GB to anything you want it to be. Save and Close.

Then just type wpshell.exe and enter... set up will continue on your drive under 160GB smile.gif

-

post #28 of 30 Old 08-30-2013, 07:23 PM

Liked: 13
Thanks Mfusik this saved me, the USB trick just did not want to work, the shift+f10 was a huge help! DAMN YOU MS FOR YOUR DUMB RULES!
post #29 of 30 Old 08-30-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #30 of 30 Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmag00 View Post

Thanks Mfusik this saved me, the USB trick just did not want to work, the shift+f10 was a huge help! DAMN YOU MS FOR YOUR DUMB RULES!

I am not a fan of the USB method. I would recommend you never use it. F-10 hack works every time for me. I also had trouble with the USB method (I tried it first)

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List