Possible to install Windows PRO from USB drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 167 Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Windows 7 You can find and download the official Windows 7 ISO images directly from the MS Store, using these links. These ISO images are perfectly legal since they do not include any type of serial key.
  • I know I can do this with HOME and I currently have both the USB program and ISO- and I have installed this before.

    What I don't have is the PRO version. I do own two versions of PRO. I have original, and an OEM version with SP1.

    Anyone know how I can install PRO from a USB?

    I would like to make a USB3.0 boot stick so I can load pro onto many PC's and install faster than a typical DVD allows.

    Of coarse I need different key codes for each machine- but I have that.





    ----------------------------------------------------
    Does something like this below exist for PRO version of WIndows 64bit ?
    ------------------------------------------------------

  • Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit : download
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit : download

The Windows 7 USB Tool from and use it to create a bootable USB drive ( a 3GB or more USB thumb drive is required) from which you can install Windows 7.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 167 Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Windows 7 You can find and download the official Windows 7 ISO images directly from the MS Store, using these links. These ISO images are perfectly legal since they do not include any type of serial key.
  • I know I can do this with HOME and I currently have both the USB program and ISO- and I have installed this before.

    What I don't have is the PRO version. I do own two versions of PRO. I have original, and an OEM version with SP1.

    Anyone know how I can install PRO from a USB?

    I would like to make a USB3.0 boot stick so I can load pro onto many PC's and install faster than a typical DVD allows.

    Of coarse I need different key codes for each machine- but I have that.





    ----------------------------------------------------
    Does something like this below exist for PRO version of WIndows 64bit ?
    ------------------------------------------------------

  • Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit : download
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit : download

The Windows 7 USB Tool from and use it to create a bootable USB drive ( a 3GB or more USB thumb drive is required) from which you can install Windows 7.

Its all in my guides.
assassin is offline  
post #3 of 167 Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Its all in my guides.

sweet thanks!

Where you get that ISO from ?

I was about to try an extract one from my DVD using winrar... lol

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #4 of 167 Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Member
 
rayw69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

sweet thanks!

Where you get that ISO from ?

I was about to try an extract one from my DVD using winrar... lol

Digital River does indeed host retail versions of Windows 7. I don't have the links handy. But I was able google it a few months ago, when I needed an ISO image in the absence of a Dell restore disk.
rayw69 is offline  
post #5 of 167 Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
erickotz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
http://wudt.codeplex.com/

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
erickotz is offline  
post #6 of 167 Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Member
 
subcodec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sheboygan, WI, USA
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've installed all the different versions of Windows by USB. Using a DVD or ISO, I just follow the method detailed here: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/
subcodec is offline  
post #7 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Senior Member
 
C17chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
All my windows installs have been USB only for about 4yrs or more now. Found it easier just to keep a small dedicated thumb drive around with windows + additional drivers for my machines + core software like office, photoshop, etc on it vs a DVD. Besides the couple machines with no optical drive, it would also come in handy if I ever had to do an emergency re-install on the laptop offline somewhere to at least have something going again vs a dead useless machine.
C17chief is offline  
post #8 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
bigbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Marana Arizona
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
pretty easy to convert a win7 dvd to bootable flash drive.. I goggled it and had a working flash in about 10 minutes.. no iso needed..
bigbw is offline  
post #9 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbw View Post

pretty easy to convert a win7 dvd to bootable flash drive.. I goggled it and had a working flash in about 10 minutes.. no iso needed..

Do you download an ISO ?

Or did you extract from the DVD ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #10 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audit13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Do you download an ISO ?

Or did you extract from the DVD ?

You can download the iso or create your own iso from a Win7 installation DVD.
audit13 is offline  
post #11 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Member
 
gtmtnbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've done 2 Windows Ultimate installations via the USB drive. The only issue I had was that I created the drive on 32-bit XP so it had the wrong bootsector dll. The fix was to copy the 64-bit version into the program folders and recreate it.
gtmtnbiker is offline  
post #12 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

You can download the iso or create your own iso from a Win7 installation DVD.

I realize that. Asking you what you did.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #13 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audit13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I realize that. Asking you what you did.

I created my own iso and just used Microsoft's USB download tool from here:

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-U...-10972600.html
audit13 is offline  
post #14 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
tomandbeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post

All my windows installs have been USB only for about 4yrs or more now. Found it easier just to keep a small dedicated thumb drive around with windows + additional drivers for my machines + core software like office, photoshop, etc on it vs a DVD. Besides the couple machines with no optical drive, it would also come in handy if I ever had to do an emergency re-install on the laptop offline somewhere to at least have something going again vs a dead useless machine.

I know how to make a bootable USB stick with Win7. How do you make a bootable USB stick with Win7 and all the other programs such as Office, Adobe, (and such)? It'd be great to have a stick with the MOBO drivers, OS, Win Defender, and a few other programs to make a fresh instal sweet and simple. I could easily dedicate an 8 GB drive.
tomandbeth is offline  
post #15 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 01:49 PM
Senior Member
 
C17chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth View Post

I know how to make a bootable USB stick with Win7. How do you make a bootable USB stick with Win7 and all the other programs such as Office, Adobe, (and such)? It'd be great to have a stick with the MOBO drivers, OS, Win Defender, and a few other programs to make a fresh instal sweet and simple. I could easily dedicate an 8 GB drive.


After the initial making the windows usb drive, just add a directory to the drive to add the rest of the stuff into as normal. I keep a directory for drivers, and another for software which I typicly do in ripped ISO form (extract ISO with winrar or the like) as to not need anything to mount the images.
C17chief is offline  
post #16 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Yes. I am moving in this direction. I want a USB 3.0 stick with everything I need for easy quick builds.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #17 of 167 Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM
Member
 
tawd1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you install Windows frequently you should look into getting a Zalman VE200 or VE300 (USB 3.0) hard drive enclosure. They act as a virtual CD drive, so you can load all your ISOs on them & boot straight from them. There's no need to create a bootable drive like you do with a USB flash drive, just create a _ISO folder in the root directory & copy all your ISOs there. Throw a 500gb hard drive in there & you won't run out of room for a while.

I've got every version of Windows from XP through 7, Service Packs, AV rescue CDs, etc. on mine.

http://systembash.com/content/zalman...ive-enclosure/
tawd1992 is offline  
post #18 of 167 Old 04-28-2012, 05:03 AM
Senior Member
 
C17chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 View Post

If you install Windows frequently you should look into getting a Zalman VE200 or VE300 (USB 3.0) hard drive enclosure. They act as a virtual CD drive, so you can load all your ISOs on them & boot straight from them. There's no need to create a bootable drive like you do with a USB flash drive, just create a _ISO folder in the root directory & copy all your ISOs there. Throw a 500gb hard drive in there & you won't run out of room for a while.

I've got every version of Windows from XP through 7, Service Packs, AV rescue CDs, etc. on mine.

http://systembash.com/content/zalman...ive-enclosure/


Granted those things are in no way gigantic or anything, but still not as small and convenient as a simple thumb drive. You dont need near that much space unless you are doing full system images complete with maybe a pile of music and pictures and such. As far as just having a convenient 'windows disk', drivers, and core handfull of frequently used software, a cheap 16gb thumb drive or less works out just fine, not to mention only costs $10-$20.
C17chief is offline  
post #19 of 167 Old 04-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Member
 
tawd1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post

Granted those things are in no way gigantic or anything, but still not as small and convenient as a simple thumb drive. You dont need near that much space unless you are doing full system images complete with maybe a pile of music and pictures and such. As far as just having a convenient 'windows disk', drivers, and core handfull of frequently used software, a cheap 16gb thumb drive or less works out just fine, not to mention only costs $10-$20.

I recommended the Zalman VE200 in part because I remember Mfusick in another thread talking about how his 32 or 64 gb flash drive is always full of programs, drivers, etc. If you just want to install Win 7 then yes a 16gb usb flash drive is fine.

What happens when you want to install Win 8 or check your memory with Memtest86+ or a friend's pc is infected with malware & won't boot? With the VE200 you can do so much more than a flash drive & it's about the size of a deck of cards so it's plenty portable. I'd venture to say most people on avsforum are tech oriented & have many more ISOs than just Win 7. This is a great way to easily access them all on one device.
tawd1992 is offline  
post #20 of 167 Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 AM
Senior Member
 
bigbw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Marana Arizona
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Do you download an ISO ?

Or did you extract from the DVD ?

here is a link to how to do it.. basicly you copy the dvd to your flash drive and then open a command line window, enter a few commands and it works. Note: if you are trying to make a 64bit flash, the pc you use has to have a 64bit OS installed.



http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/
bigbw is offline  
post #21 of 167 Old 04-28-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawd1992 View Post

I recommended the Zalman VE200 in part because I remember Mfusick in another thread talking about how his 32 or 64 gb flash drive is always full of programs, drivers, etc. If you just want to install Win 7 then yes a 16gb usb flash drive is fine.

What happens when you want to install Win 8 or check your memory with Memtest86+ or a friend's pc is infected with malware & won't boot? With the VE200 you can do so much more than a flash drive & it's about the size of a deck of cards so it's plenty portable. I'd venture to say most people on avsforum are tech oriented & have many more ISOs than just Win 7. This is a great way to easily access them all on one device.

I need that !!!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #22 of 167 Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Member
 
gtmtnbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbw View Post


here is a link to how to do it.. basicly you copy the dvd to your flash drive and then open a command line window, enter a few commands and it works. Note: if you are trying to make a 64bit flash, the pc you use has to have a 64bit OS installed.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/

That's not correct. I have made a 64 bit windows 7 boot stick on 32bit xp. The only issue was having to copy some boot sector dll for 64 bits to the program folder.
gtmtnbiker is offline  
post #23 of 167 Old 04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
tomandbeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post

After the initial making the windows usb drive, just add a directory to the drive to add the rest of the stuff into as normal. I keep a directory for drivers, and another for software which I typicly do in ripped ISO form (extract ISO with winrar or the like) as to not need anything to mount the images.

Thank you. I'll have to google around a bit more as I apparently have the mistaken belief once the drive is made bootable, I can't add to it. Maybe from the days of making bootable CDs....

Old dog learn new tricks. woof.
tomandbeth is offline  
post #24 of 167 Old 04-28-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
After starting this thread I am beginning to question why anyone would bother using a disc to install .. Lol

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #25 of 167 Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Member
 
rayw69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Found the Digital River link:

Windows 7 Professional x64 English
I have the Zalman ZM-VE300 (USB 3.0 version) with a 500GB drive I pulled from a laptop. It is quite the convenient gadget. One big benefit of this drive is that it works in "dual" mode. So it is simultaneously a USB CD-Rom drive and a USB hard drive. I can boot my Acronis ISO file from the virtual CD drive, and then have Acronis create a system backup on the hdd drive. Same thing with restores. For around $50, it's a bargain.
rayw69 is offline  
post #26 of 167 Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayw69 View Post

Found the Digital River link:

Windows 7 Professional x64 English
[*]http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24281.iso


I have the Zalman ZM-VE300 (USB 3.0 version) with a 500GB drive I pulled from a laptop. It is quite the convenient gadget. One big benefit of this drive is that it works in "dual" mode. So it is simultaneously a USB CD-Rom drive and a USB hard drive. I can boot my Acronis ISO file from the virtual CD drive, and then have Acronis create a system backup on the hdd drive. Same thing with restores. For around $50, it's a bargain.

I think I need one.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
post #27 of 167 Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
BigLan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayw69 View Post

Found the Digital River link:
Windows 7 Professional x64 English

There's no need to have separate isos for the home premium, pro or ultimate versions. Just delete the ei.cfg file and you'll be asked which version you want to install during setup.

You do need to download separate x86 and x64 isos though, but they can be combined on the same usb drive. During setup you can choose Profession 32bit, professional 64bit, etc. It'll fit on a 4gb drive as well.
BigLan is offline  
post #28 of 167 Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Senior Member
 
BigLan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

ok EXPLAIN THIS AGAIN...

1) Download any iso from the digitalriver link. Choose either 64 or 32 bit depending on what you want to install.
2) Use the microsoft usb tool to create a bootable usb drive and copy the files from the iso to the drive http://wudt.codeplex.com/
3) Browse the contents of the usb drive. Go to the /sources/ folder and delete the ei.cfg file (it might be hidden.) This file tells windows which version to install, and if the file isn't there it'll ask you during setup to select a version. You can also edit the file using these instructions
4) Boot from the thumb drive and install windows

The combined 64 and 32 bit version is a bit trickier, there are instructions here or here. You need both isos, then combine them using the windows admin kit.
BigLan is offline  
post #29 of 167 Old 05-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Member
 
DeanM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried this today (combining 32 & 64) and found that the resulting install.wim will not fit on a 4GB USB stick. Perhaps it is because I tried with Win7 SP1 and it is bigger than Win7 RTM. I think you're gonna need an 8GB stick.
DeanM is offline  
post #30 of 167 Old 05-03-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 22,355
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanM View Post

I tried this today (combining 32 & 64) and found that the resulting install.wim will not fit on a 4GB USB stick. Perhaps it is because I tried with Win7 SP1 and it is bigger than Win7 RTM. I think you're gonna need an 8GB stick.

Yes. 8gb.

I dont care about 32bit. It's worthless. Every system I own and will in future has more than 3gb memory. V

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off