Can I get 7.1 audio over HDMI with the VIA VT1705 audio chipset? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-27-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning on building a cheap-ish HTPC system using an AMD A6-3500. I'm trying keep costs down on the motherboard and I think I'm going to get the ASRock A55M-HVS.

"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157277"

It has the VIA VT1705 audio chipset and the specs say that it has six audio channels. Right now, I'll only be getting audio out of my TV speakers but plan on adding a surround sound system later on. I think 5.1 surround will be good enough for me but I'm worried that I'll get the itch to go all the way to 7.1. If I'm using HDMI pass-through on whatever future audio receiver I get, will I still be able to get 7.1 audio or do I need to step up to something like the ASRock A75M?

"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?tem=N82E16813157260"

The secondary (and less important) question is, is there anything that the A75 northbridge does that the A55 doesn't that I might miss (given that I don't really care about USB 3.0)?

Lastly, for about the same cost, I could go with a Pentium G620 on an H61 platform. Is there any significant advantage to that setup? I think the CPU will be a little better but the GPU will be a little worse than the A6-3500 but either should have plenty of horsepower for 1080p video through XBMC and a couple of background apps right? I've heard that the AMD chip handles 23.xxx playback better and generally plays nicer with XBMC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-27-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
If you go hdmi connections all the way, you should have no problem getting 7.1. Just don't use the onboard audio. Use the AMD HDMI audio device.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heloc View Post

It has the VIA VT1705 audio chipset and the specs say that it has six audio channels. Right now, I'll only be getting audio out of my TV speakers but plan on adding a surround sound system later on. I think 5.1 surround will be good enough for me but I'm worried that I'll get the itch to go all the way to 7.1. If I'm using HDMI pass-through on whatever future audio receiver I get, will I still be able to get 7.1 audio or do I need to step up to something like the ASRock A75M?

The Via Chipset refers to the onboard audio with analog outs.
The HDMI is connected and provided by AMD.
They will show up in Windows as two separate audio devices; just think of them as two separate sound cards. The AMD HDMI device can do up to 7.1 channels of HD audio.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-28-2012, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 152
If your planning on using HDMI it will save you a lot of confusion if you disable your on-board sound at the Bios level.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page