post #61 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX82 View Post

I like the idea of a silent and quicker (possibly cooler too?) SSD.

Since I am on a budget, I am wondering.....I am going to partition a 2TB HDD on my HTPC, setting aside about 60GB for the OS, Drivers and Applications. I do plan on buying a 64GB SSD eventually, but it's just not a "need" for me right now therefor doesn't fit my budget.

Is there software which will allow me to copy the OS image from that partition to the SSD seamlessly? Or will I need to put on a fresh image, and then "un-partition" my 2TB drive without losing the media?

I cloned both of mine using Acronis. It automatically realigns the data. I've also done clean installs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Last night at midnight the Crucial m4 12GB was $124.99 at Amazon and Newegg. Sometime in the early morning they had a pricewar and it went to $109.99. Amazon is OOS and Newegg is at $199.99 (LOL). However, it's still $109.99 at Buy.com. Staples will not PM Buy.com so don't bother with that.

post #63 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Last night at midnight the Crucial m4 12GB was $124.99 at Amazon and Newegg. Sometime in the early morning they had a pricewar and it went to $109.99. Amazon is OOS and Newegg is at $199.99 (LOL). However, it's still $109.99 at Buy.com. Staples will not PM Buy.com so don't bother with that.

Yeah. I grabbed a vertex3 120GB for $99 last night with the code from newegg.

Today it was $199.

I also grabbed a $11.89 shipped DVD burner just to have for that price. Today it is $16.99

FYI: Microcenter is selling the Vertex3 SSD 60GB for $60. $79-20 mail in.

Only $79 up front is a nice... plus the rebate. Newegg is $10 higher.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #64 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterX82 View Post

I like the idea of a silent and quicker (possibly cooler too?) SSD.
?

Yes. Yes. and Yes. Also. Yes.

Silent. For sure.
Quicker. For sure.
Cooler. For sure.

Check
Check
Check.

SSD is one of those things were the money is the hold back for most people. They just don't want to spend it if they don't have to do it. Makes sense. Normal thinking.

But- I think SSD is one of those rare things that once you get one and learn you realize it's worth far more than you really paid for it in reality.

I can't possibly think of a scenario where a person would buy one, install it and configure it properly and then regret it. That to me is impossible.

They reason why people hestite buying one (having never owned one) is the money/cost and because they really don't comprehend the true value it has on daily life. Anyone that uses a PC more than 15 minutes a day it's am absolute must have IMO.

If someone took away my SSD's I would quit computers all together. I would just walk away and stop using them.

It would be like taking away high speed internet, or DVR/HDTV.

Nope. Not going back. Rather go without.

My advice is hold out as long as you can to anyone. Otherwise- it's over forever once you taste it.

It's a game changer.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #65 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Staples has 25 off 75, 25 off 100 and 30 off 150 coupons. Sometimes you can find them and print them off the internet, sometimes you have to buy them.
I buy my staples 25 off coupons from ebay. Usually will cost you about $2 to save $25.

Please clarify. Those Staples coupon almost always exclude technology. Are you saying you have a current one that works on tech products?
post #66 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Newegg has a lot of specials with rebates, but for those of us who hate messing with rebates, they also have a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SATA III 120GB for $114.99 with free shipping, no rebate required. And it comes with the 3.5 inch mounting adapter, which is nice.

I've been using a SATA II 120GB "Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe" (who came up with that model name?) for several months that I retrofitted into an old PC and it's worked fine.
post #67 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 128
The Crucial m4 128GB is still in stock at Buy.com for $109.99 w/ free shipping.

http://www.buy.com/prod/crucial-m4-1...221150373.html

No rebates, pricematch, etc. needed.

post #68 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Install times. Normal operation performance. System hang ups.. and about everything else that sucks about using a PC.

How often do you install? If you install often, there are options to install from a faster media than ODD. There are USB install options, as well as, for someone who installs often, installing from an image. It literally takes a few minutes to install a system from an image on another hard drive.

As to the hang ups, that is most often the hardware selection issue, especially with Win 7. Often time bad memory settings, or simply incompatible or bad drivers to hardware cause hang ups.

I am still amazed that it took Microsoft over 30 years to come up with such a stable system as Windows 7, but I am glad they finally got it right. Incidentally, it took me aout 15 years to figure out that buying cheap crap components was most often the cause of instability issues.

The best components usually cost more, however, if you get best components from 2-3 years ago, they are significantly less expensive, while still high quality.

As to the SSD vs. HDD debate, SSD is the best drive for the OS hands down. If I could amass 12 Tb of SSD drive for a decent price, I probably would move our media library to that too. But at this point, it is prohibitively expensive, even at $1/Gb. $1/Gb incidentally was my price point for buying HDD's about 10 years ago... But, at the time, 180 Gb hard drive was top of the line and came with its own controller card, since most PC's couldn't handle the size.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #69 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Newegg has a lot of specials with rebates, but for those of us who hate messing with rebates, they also have a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos SATA III 120GB for $114.99 with free shipping, no rebate required. And it comes with the 3.5 inch mounting adapter, which is nice.

I've been using a SATA II 120GB "Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe" (who came up with that model name?) for several months that I retrofitted into an old PC and it's worked fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...7-_-05012012_2

$65 no rebates for the 60GB.

Nice drive at nice price.

-

post #70 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

How often do you install? If you install often, there are options to install from a faster media than ODD. There are USB install options, as well as, for someone who installs often, installing from an image. It literally takes a few minutes to install a system from an image on another hard drive.

I am talking about installing inside a working WIndows 7 OS installation.

I mean installing updates, drivers, codecs, games. This stuff.
And in this case I am updating, downloading, installing and uninstalling often. Quite often.
Seems like there is a new update for something all the time. Nothing is faster than downloading an update to your SSD and installing from the SSD download folder. Then I delete or move the download off the SSD to preserve space.
A USB device (I have many 3.0 ones from 8GB sticks to 3TB drives) is a very poor solution. Your advice does not really make any sense to me. I think you meant installing fresh Windows installs. But that is not every day. I can suffer a DVD drive read speed for 20 minutes once. And- I do have the 3.0 USB stick with the ISO on it too.

Quote:

As to the hang ups, that is most often the hardware selection issue, especially with Win 7. Often time bad memory settings, or simply incompatible or bad drivers to hardware cause hang ups.

Your wrong. The hang ups are just slow response of HDD. I find myself clicking things more than once wondering if it took the first click. It's so slow it's unacceptable. I did a 2TB WD Green OS install recently on a 2100 i3. It was a totally awful and unacceptable experience. It was all brand new stuff and I know I set it up all correctly. It otherwise worked perfectly minus the crappy performance of the HDD.
Quote:

. Incidentally, it took me aout 15 years to figure out that buying

Agreed. The cost saved in one area is often spent on another area. In this respect it's often time and frustration, and early upgrades.
Quote:

As to the SSD vs. HDD debate, SSD is the best drive for the OS hands down. If I could amass 12 Tb of SSD drive for a decent price, I probably would move our media library to that too. But at this point, it is prohibitively expensive, even at $1/Gb. $1/Gb incidentally was my price point for buying HDD's about 10 years ago... But, at the time, 180 Gb hard drive was top of the line and came with its own controller card, since most PC's couldn't handle the size.

Agree.
Your starting to see sub $100 2TB and near $100 3TB drives popping up.

When the 3TB sells for $99 all day long is when we will be in a good place I think.
But storage solutions are a totally different subject and animal than SSD.

For me- if storage dropped to $25 for a 4TB drive and SSD increased in price 200% from today's prices I would still buy and use SSD for my OS.
It's not even an option anymore for me.
The choice is SSD or nothing. The performance of an HDD is just plain unacceptable for an OS drive.
Like Assassin wants to get all those possible into HTPC, I too want all those possible to experience SSD.
I think it's clearly worth the money to all who adopt it. If you can't afford it or your budget does not permit it and you actually have long term plans never to own one- I would suggest your better off not owning and using a PC at all. It's just better that way.
One you try it - you can't go back. It should be against the law to install a new OS to a HDD.

-

post #71 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:

I would suggest your better off not owning and using a PC at all. It's just better that way.

Ignorance is bliss.

Like I have said before if you have always used bloated Dell/HP/Gateway/etc then you won't notice anything different.

I think to tell people not to get into HTPC at all unless they have a SSD is just wrong advice.

But that's my opinion. And of course you are entitled to yours.

post #72 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Ignorance is bliss.

Like I have said before if you have always used bloated Dell/HP/Gateway/etc then you won't notice anything different.

I think to tell people not to get into HTPC at all unless they have a SSD is just wrong advice.

But that's my opinion. And of course you are entitled to yours.

Yes. I am not saying don't get into HTPC.

Infact if you have never used SSD and get into HTPC without SSD it will seem amazing.

But if you have used SSD- It's a game changer.

I am really saying get into SSD.

And,

more extreme don't use or buy PC's without one. Not just HTPC.

I mean all PC's. I am not suggesting not getting into HTPC. I am suggesting stop using a computer. lol.

Seems extreme to some- but I could never go back.

I feel bad for people who don't know better.

-

post #73 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I have two htpc. One is off a 40gb intel ssd. The old one not a recent version. And the other is run off of a 2.5" HDD.

The difference is night and day in all aspects. Changing channels in the guide, browsing with mb, shutting down. I tend to get pretty frustrated while using the bedroom htpc because of it.

Well , maybe you should have put an ssd in the bedroom pc . Why not ? Well , cause u proly thought it was not a needed expense for a bedroom pc ... right ? Not EVERY situation calls for "big guns at any expense" type of thinking .
post #74 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Flocko,

DO you have an SSD or an HDD for you OS?

Sorry I missed this post while at work !

I use an ssd for my htpc . The other 5 pc in the home ALL use standard mech. drives . Love them ALL for what they are .

I certainly do not feel that I would not have gotten into htpc or should be banned from owning a htpc or ANY pc for that matter if I could not have afforded an ssd
post #75 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

Please clarify. Those Staples coupon almost always exclude technology. Are you saying you have a current one that works on tech products?

Heres a ebay link for one (first link I clicked on btw):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Staple-25-of...item4ab6d458c5

The seller is offering that coupon for .99.

And heres the exclusions printed on that coupon from the auction:
'Not valid on any HP ink and toner, Epson ink and toner, custom printing orders placed online, services, promotional products, gift cards, mobile phones and mobile phone services, phone cards or postage stamps, Staples industrial purchases, prior purchases or any purchases on other provider web sites'

Looking at those exclusions it should work just fine for hard drives or even SSD's. I used a $25 dollar staples coupon for each of my dual 21.5" monitors on my home pc and they didnt blink an eye when I presented them.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #76 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

Sorry I missed this post while at work !

I use an ssd for my htpc . The other 5 pc in the home ALL use standard mech. drives . Love them ALL for what they are .

I certainly do not feel that I would not have gotten into htpc or should be banned from owning a htpc or ANY pc for that matter if I could not have afforded an ssd

That's cool. I hear that.

Let me ask this,

Would you build a new PC without one? Not a PC for someone else, but for yourself for personal use. If you were upgrading or replacing a PC at work or home - with significant personal use planned- would you choose HDD in the future?

Having a preexisting HDD based PC and still owning and appreciating it for what it does is common and normal. Nothing wrong with that.

But- I am curious if someone who has used SSD would gladly go back if given the choice?

I am only asking you because you seem impartial and level headed. Your replies are often insightful and it's obvious you know certain things. In other words I would respect your opinion more than some of the others here.

What say you ?

-

post #77 of 152 Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's cool. I hear that.

Let me ask this,

Would you build a new PC without one? Not a PC for someone else, but for yourself for personal use. If you were upgrading or replacing a PC at work or home - with significant personal use planned- would you choose HDD in the future?

Having a preexisting HDD based PC and still owning and appreciating it for what it does is common and normal. Nothing wrong with that.

But- I am curious if someone who has used SSD would gladly go back if given the choice?

I am only asking you because you seem impartial and level headed. Your replies are often insightful and it's obvious you know certain things. In other words I would respect your opinion more than some of the others here.

What say you ?

Well , to be honest and I MEAN honest . Yes, I have built several pc (s) with only mechanic hdds . My work , my home and my in laws . They LOVE them !! No shite ... really ?

Would I go back ? If that was the only way that I could keep rockin ?? You darn right , I sure would . There was life before ssd . There was life before the hdd. LOL ... You proly don't remember when we use to boot from 5- 1/4 disk drives .... Give us some credit man !!! We were rockin it way before you ever thought of it ... Piece to you ... if you can find it
post #78 of 152 Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

Well , to be honest and I MEAN honest . Yes, I have built several pc (s) with only mechanic hdds . My work , my home and my in laws . They LOVE them !! No shite ... really ?

Would I go back ? If that was the only way that I could keep rockin ?? You darn right , I sure would . There was life before ssd . There was life before the hdd. LOL ... You proly don't remember when we use to boot from 5- 1/4 disk drives .... Give us some credit man !!! We were rockin it way before you ever thought of it ... Piece to you ... if you can find it

Thank you for honest answer. I respect what you said too.

-

post #79 of 152 Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
In case anyone is interested, Newegg has on sale a 256gb Crucial M4 for $199.99 with free shipping, and a 120gb AData for $104.99. A couple more "less than $1/gb" offerings. Prices are supposed to be good through May 10, unless they sell out sooner, which they often do on specials. No coupon or code or MIR required.

Oh, but there's a limit of 3 per person on the Crucial; 5 on the AData.

And if you want to go top drawer, they also have the Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120gb on sale for $159.99, also with free shipping. Yeah, you can only buy five of those too.
post #80 of 152 Old 05-04-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

65$ for 60Gb vertex 3 makes a great value for entry level priced drive.

It's high performance and cheap. Great way to get into SSD high performance for low cost.

-

post #81 of 152 Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I saw the M4 128GB sold out in a couple hours at $99 on Newegg Eggsaver special.

-

post #82 of 152 Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I saw the M4 128GB sold out in a couple hours at $99 on Newegg Eggsaver special.

Less than 5 minutes.

post #83 of 152 Old 05-09-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Less than 5 minutes.

Really? It seemed available to me on my iphone newegg application for a while.

Any idea how many they sold ? The Vertex was $65 and also sold out quickly. I guess the prices are coming down and the sales must be up for SSD. The argument for HDD keeps getting weaker each passing day.

(Is it strange it angers me to admit I have an iphone? I feel like a liberal hippie and for some reason it embarrasses me I have an iphone. But it's a great phone even if I don't personally align with the traditional apple buyer)

-

post #84 of 152 Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Really?

Yep.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21995067

post #85 of 152 Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
IPhone(s) stink, pew signed Samsung Infuse 4G Gingerbread... (4.5" screen)

Picked up my $50 60GB Agility 3 SSD.

A. Thomas -

: djfourmoney

12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #86 of 152 Old 05-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
I plan to go with a 128GB SSD soon when I build my i7 workstation build.

The main value to me for SSD is besides fast boot times, applications load much faster, especially some of the suite software I have like the Adobe Video Master Collection.

There are valid reasons why some would go with a regular HDD build, and its either because of cost, or they don't want to be bothered with the newer technology. You could never convince my dad to go into SSD; he just likes having a computer that works well and that's what it does for him.

The only SSD I have right now is in my i5 HTPC build in the main room. My bedroom one has the WD mechanical drive and its doing the job just fine.

I don't bother with the special deals half the time Newegg has them because by the time I have the money for one they are always sold out..so I don't bother. I just get them as I can afford them. And its good that the SSD prices are going down, and will continue to drop over the coming months.

But for server/storage use, HDD is still the better choice.
post #87 of 152 Old 06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

IPhone(s) stink, pew signed Samsung Infuse 4G Gingerbread... (4.5" screen)

Picked up my $50 60GB Agility 3 SSD.

I like my iphone. Very much.

And I generally hate apple and it's owners.

The apple freaks are always odd people to me.
The products often cost more and perform less.

But the iphone is a kick ass phone that is not buggy like a droid.

-

post #88 of 152 Old 06-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I won my last one (an Intel 520) in a contest. Can I expect my next one to be cheaper than that?

Treelord, is that you?

Actually probably not. I won one of two 240GB 520 SSD in a contest ending May 15th. You posted before that. Treelord was the other winner.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #89 of 152 Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just noticed some pretty massive price drops for Crucial m4's. 256GB: $199.99 and 512GB: $419.99. So so tempting...

The Intel G2 120GB used for virtual machines and 500GB mechanical drive on my laptop seem like they're itching to be replaced...

P.S.
Why the heck are Intel 320 SSDs still so expensive? They pretty much still hold the same prices they did at launch. Cherryville 520 and Elm Crest 510 saw significant price drops but the Postville Refresh still commands a hefty price premium despite being bottom of the barrel in terms of performance.
post #90 of 152 Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Just noticed some pretty massive price drops for Crucial m4's. 256GB: $199.99 and 512GB: $419.99. So so tempting...

The Intel G2 120GB used for virtual machines and 500GB mechanical drive on my laptop seem like they're itching to be replaced...

P.S.
Why the heck are Intel 320 SSDs still so expensive? They pretty much still hold the same prices they did at launch. Cherryville 520 and Elm Crest 510 saw significant price drops but the Postville Refresh still commands a hefty price premium despite being bottom of the barrel in terms of performance.

The intel 320 will be dropping.

Just wait.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page