Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey all,

I'm using VideoReDo (VRD) TVSuite to cut commercials out of OTA recordings. In most cases, the recordings can be processed just fine with VRD, but once in a while I have a "glitched" recording. I am wondering if other VRD users have seen the same when editing their OTA recordings.

Whenever a glitched segment is encountered in the raw recording, VRD will report that some frame removal was done to maintain A/V sync. The VRD notification looks like this:

When the VRD output is reviewed, the glitched segment is pretty easy to spot. The glitches typically affect about 10 to 30 frames. Here are two screengrabs to illustrate:

SCREENGRAB 1 OF 2: A single frame just before glitch begins.

SCREENGRAB 2 OF 2: A frame within a 16-frame glitch.

Glitches like this occur infrequently, something like in the order of 1 recording in 10 exhibit the issue. I am wondering if other VRD users have ever seen this at all? If not, then maybe something is amiss in my home-built HTPC/DVR. Thanks in advance for any responses

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I see it all the time, but I don't think it's an issue with VRD but rather the recording itself. You could be experiencing momentary glitches due to a weak signal or some kind of interference. If you get a segment with bad pixelation, sometimes VRD just chokes on it and won't progress beyond that point. Try running a quickstream fix first and then edit the file. Turn on the filters for the segment you're trying to fix for best results.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see this (and Audio Frame Errors as well) quite often. I'm using HDHrun tuners with SageTV. I have never noticed any glitches when actually watching the final product, however.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
One of my favorite shows!

Jim White
St. Petersburg, FL
post #5 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I see it all the time, but I don't think it's an issue with VRD but rather the recording itself... Try running a quickstream fix first and then edit the file. Turn on the filters for the segment you're trying to fix for best results.

Thanks. Would you kindly elaborate a little regarding the filter feature you wrote of? Thanks again

post #6 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Thanks. Would you kindly elaborate a little regarding the filter feature you wrote of? Thanks again

When you select the QuickStream Fix option under the Tools drop-down menu there's a checkbox to enable filters. When you select it VRD will scan the vidoe stream for a few seconds and then display the resolution of the main video stream. A window will appear with the Video Dimension Filter indication and the resolution value. Just click OK if the resolution matches what you expect to see (i.e., 720 x 480 or 1920 x 1080, etc.). I believe this allows VRD to ignore anything that's part of the video that is not of the same resolution as the main stream (i.e., as in some commercials that are standard def in a HD recording). VRD does a more effective job when performing the QuickStream Fix on a set resolution.

FYI - VRD has it's own support forum that's accessible from their website.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I see this ALL the time with my recordings. I typically get about 10-40 bad frames per hour of recording.

The biggest issue I have is one of the local channels uses a stone age video server for local commercial inserts. So when watching a primetime show, when switching to commercials there is ALWAYS a glitch in the recording during the switch. This actually causes VideoReDo and any other video editor to completely crash when it tries to display those frames. I have to find this bad frames the hard way, then try to cut out just those few frames, every single commercial break.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-29-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I've used VRD quite a bit & always use the QuickStream Fix option. If I don't the PC seems to frequently stutter when playing the original video off the HDD. So I just use it on every video. It sometimes removes frames, but I don't recall if they were video, audio, etc. If there was a bad frame as pictured above I'm guessing I might not ever see it.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

I am wondering if other VRD users have ever seen this at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I see it all the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post

I see this (and Audio Frame Errors as well) quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

I see this ALL the time with my recordings. I typically get about 10-40 bad frames per hour of recording.

Looks like the glitched OTA recording phenomenon is a not uncommon one, though the cause of the issue seems to vary. None of my recordings, for instance, seem to have issues when the broadcast goes into/comes out of commercial segments. They seem to happen at random within the program itself, and they occur only once in a while, like only once in 10 hours of recordings.

I was wondering if I could mitigate the issue to the point of near elimination by doing anything differently on the HTPC/DVR, like maybe performing a weekly defragging on the HDDs where the recordings go.

Some have replied here that they have not seen any glitches in the final VRD output. My experience has been, however, that if VRD says that video and/or audio frames were removed to maintain A/V sync, then a glitch is present in the final VRD output. They may not be perceptible during playback, as they may affect less than 10 frames (i.e. "blink, and you'll miss it")... but if you are analyzing the output frame-by-frame, they can be spotted simply by noting - for film based programs - where the output exhibits a change in its 3:2 cadence (assuming the source is 24fps/24.976p filmed material that was telecined to 30fps/29.97i for television broadcast).

Thanks again to all who replied. This discussion has been very helpful, to me at least

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page