WMC OTA Recorder and MCE Buddy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks again Assassin for the guides and I have a question.

So the MCE buddy program removes the commercials and moves the files to the media browser TV shows listing, but what happens if MCM does not find information about the TV show. I record a lot of kids TV shows for my son.

What is the advantage of moving them to the MB interface rather than keeping in the stock WMC recorded TV interface?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Your question is a bit confusing but I think what you're asking about is advantages of using MCE Buddy to convert the files?

Besides the removal of commercials, conversion also allows you to use media extenders other than xbox or up-and-coming WMC extenders like the Ceton Echo. For example in my setup, I use HDHomeRun with WMC to record shows and an Xtreamer to play the converted files streaming over the network.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response and you are right that my question was confusing. Let me try again!

I like the functionality MCE Buddy, but have a install question. Do people have the WMC recorded shows get run through MCE Buddy at night and keep them in the original folder so you can view the newly condensed shows via WMC recorded TV menus?

If so what are the downsides of using the WMC recorder? The reason I ask is becasue in Assassin's great guides he proposes moving the condensed files into Media Browser to store and watch there instead. What are the advantages of using MB instead of the native recorder screens in WMC?

Thoughts?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

If you go with Assassin's suggestion, then you could use Media Browser to scrape TV show information for inclusion in your library. The resulting file is also a lot smaller depending on what settings you use. The only downside for me is that re-encoding takes a long time so the show isn't available right away.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbilliel View Post

Thanks for the response and you are right that my question was confusing. Let me try again!

I like the functionality MCE Buddy, but have a install question. Do people have the WMC recorded shows get run through MCE Buddy at night and keep them in the original folder so you can view the newly condensed shows via WMC recorded TV menus?

If so what are the downsides of using the WMC recorder? The reason I ask is becasue in Assassin's great guides he proposes moving the condensed files into Media Browser to store and watch there instead. What are the advantages of using MB instead of the native recorder screens in WMC?

Thoughts?

I also use a HDHomerun to WMC to record shows and then MCE Buddy to convert and move. I have Buddy mark the commercials for skipping, convert to MP4 and then move to another folder.

For my purposes I keep the .WTV files in one set of folders and the .MP4 versions in another set of folders. I prefer having the mp4 and wtv versions in different areas since I use different applications to access the files.

I keep my WMC storage size set to hold several days worth of recordings and then let them delete automatically when space is needed. Other people will set Buddy to delete the file after conversion. Usually if I want to watch a show the night it is recorded on my HTPC I will watch the .WTV version otherwise I'll watch the .MP4 version using Plex from the Macs, Iphone, Ipad, Roku box or Media Browser from the W7 computers that are around the house after the conversion.

The WMC recorder works well and is easy to schedule so i don't see any downside to it for recording except that it puts the file in the .wtv format that is not used by other applications. MCE Buddy fixes this issue.

You don't really put the files into Media Browser you tell MB where to look for the files. You can also point other apps such as Plex, XBMC, etc. to look at these same folders. It is also possible to tell most of these programs to look at several locations for the desired files. For example I have movies on two different machines. I tell my MB "Movies" listing to point to both of the folders on two different HTPCs where my movies are stored so it appears as one big listing of movies in MB.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 PM

...I will watch the .WTV version

If I understand correctly, that file will not be commercial skipped? Not to bump the OP, just want to understand.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopeyus View Post

...I will watch the .WTV version

If I understand correctly, that file will not be commercial skipped? Not to bump the OP, just want to understand.

Correct. However if you wait until at least about 10 minutes into a 30 minute show or 20 minutes into a hour long program to start watching the .wtv version as it is being recorder, you can use the 30 skip command to blow through the commercials pretty quick and not catch up to the live show. For example if I want to watch two hours of programming that will be on from 7-9 pm. I would not start watching those programs before 7:40pm.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Resurrecting an old discussion about MCE Buddy.

I just discovered it over the weekend and my first test was to convert an NFL game to .mp4 recorded with WMC and remove commercials. The resulting .mp4 file did not play well. It paused about every 3 or 4 seconds throughout the entire file. I'm sure it is a setting I have wrong somewhere but if anyone has a quick fix, it would save me a lot of trial and error testing.

Thanks,
jab
Old 08-27-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
Resurrecting an old discussion about MCE Buddy.

I just discovered it over the weekend and my first test was to convert an NFL game to .mp4 recorded with WMC and remove commercials. The resulting .mp4 file did not play well. It paused about every 3 or 4 seconds throughout the entire file. I'm sure it is a setting I have wrong somewhere but if anyone has a quick fix, it would save me a lot of trial and error testing.

Thanks,
jab
MCE Buddy is alot of trial and error.

Where is the file stored you tried to convert?

Are you converting it with the same PC or another PC?

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
Old 08-28-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
MCE Buddy is alot of trial and error.

Where is the file stored you tried to convert?

Are you converting it with the same PC or another PC?
I have a 4 TB video storage SATA internal drives. The conversion was done on the same drive as the original file on the same computer. I have done a little more tinkering and found that converting without commercial detection yields good files. There are two options for commercial removal and both cause the stops and starts. The audio plays fine but the video pauses about every other second, very rhythmically. I don't really care about cutting the commercials anyway because it's easy to zap through them with the skip button on my MC remote but thought it might save some disk space.

I record college football, every game I can get over the air and archive them for the off season and sometimes have 35 or 40 games. That eats up a hefty chunk of my storage. I guess the simple solution is to just get another drive but I'm cheap!

Thanks for your help!