Netflix for MCE - scrolling through lots of episodes?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-29-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just making sure I'm not missing something here. I've been watching a show on Netflix streaming with the Media Center plugin. I'm up to season 3, and there are over 20 episodes per season.

Is there a way to jump to a season or page up/down or SOMETHING other than using a mouse or hitting my remote down arrow button 70+ times to get to my next episode?

I'm going to kill my remote by the time I've watched all 9 seasons!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
not that i'm aware...the only trick i've seen is using my wireless mouse wheel...it goes very fast

http://myquest4happiness.blogspot.com/
its my blog about bmw's, primal eating, pc gaming...whatever i feel like :)
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh... the lack of effort Microsoft and/or Netflix put into this plug-in amazes me. They should at lease enable page up/down with the channel +/-.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM

Liked: 11
Yeah, the WMC app really sucks. I like the UI better than the UI on my PS3 or Boxee Box since you can see more titles at once and instead of the ugly grey background, it uses the white theme I use for WMC. However, the lack of the feature where it remembers the last episode you were on so you can just select a show, hit play and pick up where you left off is ridiculous.

The fact that you can't scroll through episodes quickly or select seasons makes using the app a real chore. I tend to just watch movies or shorter series on the WMC app. If I'm going to watch something like Battlestar Galactica that has over 70 episodes, I do it on my PS3. The lack of 1080p and 5.1 sucks also and if the PS3 app didn't require me to keep my controller close so I can use the PS button to close the app when I'm done instead of my Harmony remote I would probably use it more. I guess each Netflix app has its own advantages and disadvantages. I could probably spend the $50 and buy the Logitech PS3 adapter that fully mimics the PS3 controller but it's not that big of an issue for me and I'm cheap.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I just don't think it's worth using the WMC netflix plug-in. The video quality of many of the shows and movies is also much worse than the PS3, Roku, etc. I doubt Netflix or Microsoft care about the plug-in anymore, so it's unlikely it will ever get an update.

I'm crossing my fingers that Netflix will develop a Windows 8 plugin . It's practically guaranteed for Windows 8 on ARM tablets, but I'm not sure if there will be an x86 version. Netflix and the studios like to keep their distance from the PC, probably because of fears of piracy.

I recommend just getting a Roku or some other device for Netflix. It stinks having to use multiple devices, but it's a much more pleasant experience.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-30-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

I have Windows Media Center machines on all my TVs, and I have a wife and kids that use it as well. I don't expect them to whip out a keyboard and mouse to watch TV, so everything has to be done via remote. We also don't have PS3s and Rokus on each TV - we have a WMC single box on each.

I can't speak for how many people use the Media Center plug-in, but it seems clear that Microsoft is not committed to Media Center.

I mean really - what would it take to get some bug fixes and small feature updates on the Netflix plugin? A single programmer working part time on it would be more than fine - but they can't even justify that.

A big mistake I think on Microsoft's part. I think Windows Media Center could have a bright future ahead if they took it in the right direction, similar to how Apple reinvented the music business.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM

Liked: 12
the quality difference between PC and consumer electronic device (ps3/xbox, bluray player, etc) is on Netflix's end. they stream a lower max bitrate to PCs...
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page