FlexRAID 2.0 Opinions? Thinking of going with it over UnRAID/SnapRAID - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 252 Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
BTW... 24-hours later we are at 65%. So right on schedule for about a 36-hour parity build.
Killroy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 252 Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,960
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

BTW... 24-hours later we are at 65%. So right on schedule for about a 36-hour parity build.

So 12 hours until battle of the titans.

FlexRaid founder -VS- Killroy

Got it. DVR set just in case.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is online now  
post #93 of 252 Old 05-02-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

So 12 hours until battle of the titans.

FlexRaid founder -VS- Killroy

Got it. DVR set just in case.

You'll have to wait till the morning. I am usually in bed an asleep by that time...as I hope all of you are too. Nothing good happens after 2am.
Killroy is offline  
post #94 of 252 Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Nothing good happens after 2am.

You simply have not been with the right woman yet.
cybrsage is offline  
post #95 of 252 Old 05-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
flocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Damn it man .... I was so going to go there and add a spoof on the Oregon girls but I held a reserve

Nice one ... nice
flocko is offline  
post #96 of 252 Old 05-02-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

You simply have not been with the right woman yet.

I was going to say something but this forum is family oriented....but those that know me know better.
Killroy is offline  
post #97 of 252 Old 05-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
flocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yes, you are right on both cases . This is a family forum and it is your story and you can tell it any way you want Just yankin on you a bit !!

Okay ... what was the topic ?? Oh ya , I remember..... you are going to pawn flex raid and it's developer in about what (i lost count) ? Six hours ?

There will not be any of the usual saving face posts right ? " Uh... well it was not determined inconclusively that ... " Or my dog ate my home work type stuff ??
flocko is offline  
post #98 of 252 Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

Yes, you are right on both cases . This is a family forum and it is your story and you can tell it any way you want Just yankin on you a bit !!

Okay ... what was the topic ?? Oh ya , I remember..... you are going to pawn flex raid and it's developer in about what (i lost count) ? Six hours ?

There will not be any of the usual saving face posts right ? " Uh... well it was not determined inconclusively that ... " Or my dog ate my home work type stuff ??

I just don't want to brag...

But back on topic, I am going to show the exact thing I mentioned earlier. That too many changes will render an update impossible due to the "Not enough space in the parity" error.
Killroy is offline  
post #99 of 252 Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gigahertz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

I just don't want to brag...

But back on topic, I am going to show the exact thing I mentioned earlier. That too many changes will render an update impossible due to the "Not enough space in the parity" error.

Hope you can do it, we got free copies of FlexRAID riding on it
Gigahertz21 is offline  
post #100 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
spectrumbx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 813
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

So 12 hours until battle of the titans.

FlexRaid founder -VS- Killroy

Got it. DVR set just in case.

Err... it is not a "VS" thing and certainly not a challenge to Killroy.
He has systems I just don't have in my set of test beds.
So, if he is experiencing something that needs fixing, that's why I am here for.

Flexible RAID:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
spectrumbx is offline  
post #101 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 05:55 AM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by killroy™ View Post

i was going to say something but this forum is family oriented....but those that know me know better.

cybrsage is offline  
post #102 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 AM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrumbx View Post

Err... it is not a "VS" thing and certainly not a challenge to Killroy.
He has systems I just don't have in my set of test beds.
So, if he is experiencing something that needs fixing, that's why I am here for.

Oh, we know, it is just a bit of fun.
cybrsage is offline  
post #103 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bryansj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
So everyone from the first page gets a free license?

bryansj is offline  
post #104 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The parity completed at 0048hrs.

I started logging and making changes at 0630hrs.

The data changes will take a few hours since instead of deleting I am first copying the movies to another location then deleting. I don't want to lose any data.

I am keeping a log of all changes so I can document any changes.
Killroy is offline  
post #105 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,060
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Hmm, this is a tough decision for me.

I'm low on space now on my WHSv1, and want to get some more storage installed. However, if I stick with my WHS setup as it is now, I can't use a drive larger than 2TB, and it's looking like a 3TB drive makes the most sense right now.

Part of me wants to wait until Windows 8 comes out to see if Microsoft has a Home Server type SKU that handles backup as well as WHS does now (and then has their Storage Spaces feature). If they have a Home Server product, it would probably be easier to setup as well. Part of the reason that I went with WHS in the first place is that I just wanted to pretty much plug it in and not think about it.

But then part of me is really tempted to just upgrade it now to Windows 7 or Server 2008, and just use FlexRAID. I'd miss out on the backup stuff, and it'd require a bit more setup, but maybe it'd be worth it.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
post #106 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Lars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any reason why you would use Windows server 2008 and not WHS 2011?
Lars99 is offline  
post #107 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhoff80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,060
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

Any reason why you would use Windows server 2008 and not WHS 2011?

Just that I already have a license for that from a Technet account really.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
jhoff80 is offline  
post #108 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
Lars99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Just that I already have a license for that from a Technet account really.

WHS 2011 is available on TechNet

http://www.winrumors.com/windows-hom...sdn-customers/
Lars99 is offline  
post #109 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
OK...

I am about to run the update and I want to summarize some of the changes I made. I kept a very detailed log of everything I did but this is the Reader's Digest.

  • Total data protected in 20 drives: 46.18TB
  • Total data that was deleted: approx. 200.30GB (that is less than .5% of total data)
  • Total data added: Approx. 292.96GB (just a bit over .6% of total data)
  • Total changes without data changes (folder/file renames): 260

So, in total we are talking about 1% of total data protected was changed.

I have to run to the Apple Store to pick up my Mac that was getting fixed so I am going to leave you guys guessing what will happen...I won't even know till I get back so we will wait together.
Killroy is offline  
post #110 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gigahertz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

OK...

I am about to run the update and I want to summarize some of the changes I made. I kept a very detailed log of everything I did but this is the Reader's Digest.

  • Total data protected in 20 drives: 46.18TB
  • Total data that was deleted: approx. 200.30GB (that is less than .5% of total data)
  • Total data added: Approx. 292.96GB (just a bit over .6% of total data)
  • Total changes without data changes (folder/file renames): 260

So, in total we are talking about 1% of total data protected was changed.

I have to run to the Apple Store to pick up my Mac that was getting fixed so I am going to leave you guys guessing what will happen...I won't even know till I get back so we will wait together.


Will check back later to read your update
Gigahertz21 is offline  
post #111 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I wonder if Domino's delivers crow.

After 9-hours I got the email I was NOT expecting: "[MediaServer1][UPDATE] SUCCESS"

So excuse me while I finish eating this tasty crow.

Time for me to buy some FlexRAID licenses to show my apologies to spectrumbx.
Killroy is offline  
post #112 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,960
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

I wonder if Domino's delivers crow.

After 9-hours I got the email I was NOT expecting: "[MediaServer1][UPDATE] SUCCESS"

So excuse me while I finish eating this tasty crow.

Time for me to buy some FlexRAID licenses to show my apologies to spectrumbx.

Thanks for being honest and taking the time to test this.

A very refreshing post.

Free FlexRaid licenses for all (proponents) in this thread!!!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is online now  
post #113 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pokekevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 5,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Yayyyy

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
pokekevin is offline  
post #114 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hey, I'll be the first to admit it when I'm wrong. At least I can say that I gave FlexRAID one hell of a test. I was sure that the 260 folder/file renames was going to be the deal breaker.
Killroy is offline  
post #115 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,960
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Hey, I'll be the first to admit it when I'm wrong. At least I can say that I gave FlexRAID one hell of a test. I was sure that the 260 folder/file renames was going to be the deal breaker.

Its a great program. I still think many opponents are mainly just mad that you now have to pay for it.

I deal with something similar with outrageous claims and assumptions on a weekly basis (not at AVS but elsewhere on the web).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is online now  
post #116 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Gigahertz21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

I wonder if Domino's delivers crow.

After 9-hours I got the email I was NOT expecting: "[MediaServer1][UPDATE] SUCCESS"

So excuse me while I finish eating this tasty crow.

Time for me to buy some FlexRAID licenses to show my apologies to spectrumbx.

NOOOOOOOO....there goes my free copy of FlexRAID that was promised by spectrumbx if you were able to prove this bug existed. Maybe he will still offer us a really cheap copy as a consolation prize, keeping fingers crossed

Gigahertz21 is offline  
post #117 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,960
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Another thing to learn from this thread is that software changes.

Just because you tried something 1 year ago and it didn't work for you doesn't mean that it won't be a totally different experience today (assuming a good developer or team and changes/improvements have been made).

I see this with Media Browser, XBMC, JRiver, etc on an almost daily basis here at AVS.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is online now  
post #118 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
But I didn't try it just a year ago. I tested the very last beta copy (14 I think) and that is the one that kept crashing out. The very next version was the paid one and I could not test it without paying for it. I will not pay for an app that the last beta was bad.

Now that I had a chance to give it my own version of a torture test, I know that it will work for what the average user will throw at it.

The test I did today was way above and beyond what anyone would ever do in an average machine. Deleting close to 9,000 jpgs and renaming 260 folders/files is more than anyone will ever do in a 24-hour period....or at least without updating once in a while.
Killroy is offline  
post #119 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 1,730
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigahertz21 View Post

NOOOOOOOO....there goes my free copy of FlexRAID that was promised by spectrumbx if you were able to prove this bug existed. Maybe he will still offer us a really cheap copy as a consolation prize, keeping fingers crossed

I am buying my 4 licenses....before the price goes up...lol
Killroy is offline  
post #120 of 252 Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,960
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

But I didn't try it just a year ago. I tested the very last beta copy (14 I think) and that is the one that kept crashing out. The very next version was the paid one and I could not test it without paying for it. I will not pay for an app that the last beta was bad.

Now that I had a chance to give it my own version of a torture test, I know that it will work for what the average user will throw at it.

The test I did today was way above and beyond what anyone would ever do in an average machine. Deleting close to 9,000 jpgs and renaming 260 folders/files is more than anyone will ever do in a 24-hour period....or at least without updating once in a while.

Sure. But the amount of work he put in over that time could be equivalent to what other teams put in in a whole year in order to get it ready for a paid product.

That's why I have no problems at all supporting him and FlexRaid and recommend it without hesitation.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

assassin is online now  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off