FlexRAID 2.0 Opinions? Thinking of going with it over UnRAID/SnapRAID - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 252 Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post

Drive Bender looks real good for $20.

At first I was interested in FlexRaid because of both pooling and efficient backup protection via parity, but have learned since I don't have many drives, the parity feature doesn't provide any advantages over mirroring (which Drive Bender does for $20).

Seems like FlexRaid has the high end niche with many drives, but Drive Bender appears suited for my small, but growing, drive array.

Jake

The main difference between Drive Bender and StableBit Drive Pool is that Drive Bender can be used on any version of Windows where Drive Pool is only for WHS types of OS. Back when DB was $40 and DP was $20 I chose DP since I was running WHS. Now I'd have to reconsider DB. I tested both and they seemed rather equal. I also tested the final FlexRAID beta against those two and ended up with DP. I'm not sure most of the FlexRAID users here tried the other options.

The good thing about duplication with either of these programs is that you can set it at the folder level. Only want to back up your Pictures and Documents in the pool? Just set those folder for duplication, now you don't have to waste a TB on recorded TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 252 Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doing some more reading...Stable Bit seems to do everything Drive Bender does, plus: non-pooling on same drive, file balancing (I assume this means striping a file across multiple drives), and "Removing a disk from the pool moves all the existing pooled files on it to another disk in the pool."

For me, I'd be interested in the disk removal feature for disk upgrade purposes.
post #213 of 252 Old 05-09-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I think file balancing means keeping all your pooled drives at the same capacity. If you have four 2TB drives and 4TB of data, then each drive would have 1TB of data. Duplication just makes sure the data is stored on two different drives.

To remove the disc you must first initiate that you are going to remove it in the dashboard app. It will then balance and duplicate across the remaining drives. Once complete you can remove it.

I've been using it for well over a month and it has been working great.

post #214 of 252 Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I'm not sure most of the FlexRAID users here tried the other options.

As snakyjake alluded, the appropriateness of parity vs. mirroring depends on how many drives you have. If you only have one or two drives, mirroring probably makes more sense (unless you expect it to expand, then you may as well do parity from the start). But DB/SB aren't really appropriate for large systems. I have over 30TB of data. Adding another 30TB to mirror the data isn't really practical. unRAID and SnapRAID are some parity based alternatives, but again, for larger systems, FlexRAID is a better choice. unRAID maxes out at 20 drives per system. SnapRAID is better in that respect, but is still limited to 2 parity drives. For 20+ drive systems, I personally would prefer more redundancy.

Quote:

The good thing about duplication with either of these programs is that you can set it at the folder level. Only want to back up your Pictures and Documents in the pool? Just set those folder for duplication, now you don't have to waste a TB on recorded TV.

The same holds true for FlexRAID/SnapRAID. In fact, the ability to use Regular Expressions in FlexRAID is another one of the factors that prevented me from trying out SnapRAID. You can set up some fairly complex filters that determine exactly what is, and is not, included in the RAID. SnapRAID's filtering is more limited.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #215 of 252 Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

As snakyjake alluded, the appropriateness of parity vs. mirroring depends on how many drives you have. If you only have one or two drives, mirroring probably makes more sense (unless you expect it to expand, then you may as well do parity from the start). But DB/SB aren't really appropriate for large systems. I have over 30TB of data. Adding another 30TB to mirror the data isn't really practical. unRAID and SnapRAID are some parity based alternatives, but again, for larger systems, FlexRAID is a better choice. unRAID maxes out at 20 drives per system. SnapRAID is better in that respect, but is still limited to 2 parity drives. For 20+ drive systems, I personally would prefer more redundancy.

The same holds true for FlexRAID/SnapRAID. In fact, the ability to use Regular Expressions in FlexRAID is another one of the factors that prevented me from trying out SnapRAID. You can set up some fairly complex filters that determine exactly what is, and is not, included in the RAID. SnapRAID's filtering is more limited.

I agree, parity is the way to go for a media storage collection that will only grow, mirroring/file duplication is not practical and will get too expensive. Right now I have 4TB of media, I don't want to have to buy another 4TB of storage just to back it up.
post #216 of 252 Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Man.

Dude is taking a beating.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #217 of 252 Old 05-09-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Try managing about 120TB.
post #218 of 252 Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 166
This is definitely powerful software, but I don't know, I'm leaning towards purchasing WHS2011 and DriveBender I think.

My server has a bunch of drives, so I'd rather use parity, but I kind of hate the way that it doesn't seem to integrate with WHS. Now, I don't care about a Dashboard addin for the console, but reading the site / wiki, you can't actually control Users and Share Permissions from the WHS Dashboard, and instead have to do it from the FlexRAID interface. It kind of seems to defeat the purpose of WHS slightly for me.

Not 100% sure if that's what I'll decide, just what I'm leaning towards at the moment. This is definitely impressive though.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #219 of 252 Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone else find it funny/interesting that now there are like half a dozen people on the FlexRAID forum that have the "not enough usable space for parity" issue that I was having? A few weeks ago I was told that I was the only one.
post #220 of 252 Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I had the problem during the final beta and somehow I fixed it. Haven't tried the final.

post #221 of 252 Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy™ View Post

Try managing about 120TB.

I'm curious about this... what exactly do you have that takes up 120TB?

Do you have 2500 blurays? You eat up something like 200 watts of energy just on hard drives?
post #222 of 252 Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

I'm curious about this... what exactly do you have that takes up 120TB?

Do you have 2500 blurays? You eat up something like 200 watts of energy just on hard drives?

Its a helluva a lot more than that and I don't even want to know how much power they consume....but my electric bill is not that bad actually.
post #223 of 252 Old 05-16-2012, 03:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Just curious . Have you ever hooked a watt meter to that main frame you call a server to see how much power it is using . A tad extreme but I would say a 120 + TB server would justify extreme

Man... that must take some serious management skills. Bigger "stones" than me for sure !
post #224 of 252 Old 05-16-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I really don't care since I would not change anything no matter what the watt meter told me. $300-400/m electric bills in the summer months (when the A/C is on) and between $80-130/m when the A/C is not on.
post #225 of 252 Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Liked: 148
Do they go idle when not in use? Mine do (though I have considerably fewer drives than you have).
post #226 of 252 Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy™ View Post

I really don't care since I would not change anything no matter what the watt meter told me. $300-400/m electric bills in the summer months (when the A/C is on) and between $80-130/m when the A/C is not on.

No , that's not bad at all . Just curious on your thoughts .

It was my impression that the drives spinning down in flex was one of the big plus features of this type of raid ?
post #227 of 252 Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Do they go idle when not in use? Mine do (though I have considerably fewer drives than you have).

That is a very long and complicated answer... yes, I can set them up to idle down but I have been having issue with network stuttering when streaming and during the streaming another drive idles down. The network starts stuttering like crazy during playback and I hate that. So i have them on a 12-hour idle down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

No , that's not bad at all . Just curious on your thoughts .

It was my impression that the drives spinning down in flex was one of the big plus features of this type of raid ?

It is but I am positive that unRAID also allows to idle the drives...and SnapRAID also allows this.
post #228 of 252 Old 05-16-2012, 05:56 PM

unRAID does spin down drives.
post #229 of 252 Old 05-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post

Anyone else find it funny/interesting that now there are like half a dozen people on the FlexRAID forum that have the "not enough usable space for parity" issue that I was having? A few weeks ago I was told that I was the only one.

Except that all of them have been proven to be user error (even when non-intentional).
Anything from Windows using the PPU space for system restore or VSS purposes, to hardlinks and whatnots. These are not easily obvious. So, there is no blaming the end users.
Never found it curious that no Linux user ever that issue?

FlexRAID protects you data. It does not do magic tricks.

Remember, when posting information, makes sure it is complete else it is just inaccurate at best or lies at worst.

Flexible RAID:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #230 of 252 Old 05-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
quick question.
planning to have four 2TB samsung F4 drives on flexraid with pooling.

if one is the parity, 3 will have data. pooling will make it show up as one drive.

if one of the data drive fails completely, would i have lost that data, or would i have to lose two drives to lose any data?

also with pooling, if i share that pooled drive letter over the network, will it matter to the other computers that its a pool or would i just treat it as a regular drive to copy and move files, reoriganize etc?

thanks.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #231 of 252 Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 AM

Liked: 148
You can lose one drive and not lose the data. You will have to replace the drive and then recover the data with the program. I have done it twice already.
post #232 of 252 Old 05-26-2012, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
A few questions...

I have a Sans Digital TR5UT+B on the way with 3 2 TB drives. I was planning on using it connected directly to my HTPC using RAID 5. Is the Sans Digital compatible with FlexRAID? And if I run FlexRAID on my HTPC will there be a performance hit? Thanks.

post #233 of 252 Old 05-27-2012, 06:58 AM

The Drobo S works great for me. I have 5 3TB 7200RPM drives installed. I plan on getting another unit with same setup to mirror the first RAID for backup.
post #234 of 252 Old 07-06-2012, 12:14 PM

I've been reading there's not going to be a future version of Windows Home Server (now Windows Server 2012 Essentials at $425). So if you were thinking about Stablebit or a WHS solution, you may want to reconsider.

I'm starting to like FlexRaid's OS independence.
post #235 of 252 Old 07-06-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Man I love the inaccuracies of the internet.

WHS will be available until 2025 as OEM. Will be available until 2014 as retail product.

Its not going anywhere.

post #236 of 252 Old 07-06-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Man I love the inaccuracies of the internet.
WHS will be available until 2025 as OEM. Will be available until 2014 as retail product.
Its not going anywhere.

Feel free to contact bit-tech and let them know they are inaccurate:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2012/07/06/microsoft-kills-home-server/1
post #237 of 252 Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post

Feel free to contact bit-tech and let them know they are inaccurate:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2012/07/06/microsoft-kills-home-server/1

From your very link...
Quote:
This doesn't mean that Windows Home Server will be disappearing immediately, however: the company has confirmed that the product will be available until the end of 2013, while OEMs looking to build embedded systems around it will have to option of buying Windows Home Server 2011 licences through to the end of 2025 - but with Microsoft no longer releasing upgrades and feature enhancements, it's unlikely that many will take advantage of this option.

BTW the version on Newegg is OEM.

post #238 of 252 Old 07-06-2012, 01:20 PM

I said no "future version of Windows Home Server". I can re-word it to reduce confusion: "no new future version of WHS". I was thinking "future" would have implied "new".
post #239 of 252 Old 07-06-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post

I said no "future version of Windows Home Server". I can re-word it to reduce confusion: "no new future version of WHS". I was thinking "future" would have implied "new".

There will be the same $30-$40 fantastic OS solution that there has been for many months in WHS2011.

Or you can use Win8. Or even Win7.

The sky is not falling and its not abandoned but merely not being developed further.

I am a glass half full kind of guy.

post #240 of 252 Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 AM

Have a question. Jus ordered flexraid. Will be using with WHS 2011

What happens when the OS drive fails since it is out of the array?
I don't want to have an external drive attached just to backup the OS drive...

If the OS hard drive fails, would I be able to just replace it with a new hard drive, re-install WHS 2011 and flexraid and have it pick up where it failed?

Will flexraid be able to read the rest of the data on the pool and pick up right where it left off?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page