FlexRAID 2.0 Opinions? Thinking of going with it over UnRAID/SnapRAID - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 252 Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxse View Post

Have a question. Jus ordered flexraid. Will be using with WHS 2011
What happens when the OS drive fails since it is out of the array?
I don't want to have an external drive attached just to backup the OS drive...
If the OS hard drive fails, would I be able to just replace it with a new hard drive, re-install WHS 2011 and flexraid and have it pick up where it failed?
Will flexraid be able to read the rest of the data on the pool and pick up right where it left off?

Any opinions on this? I'm interested in this answer as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 252 Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Another question regarding FlexRAID.

Lets say I have three 3TB drives, two of which are in a pool and one of them is the parity drive. As I understand, FlexRAID fills one drive at a time in a pool before moving onto another. So if there's a "Movies" folder in the pool and one of the drives in the pool is almost full, what happens to the "Movies" folder when I put a movie that won't fit in whatever space is left on the first drive? Will the movies folder be split in two?
post #243 of 252 Old 10-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboki View Post

Any opinions on this? I'm interested in this answer as well.

1) I think that post should read, "if" your os drive fails . No different than if your os drive fails and you are on a one drive system . Your toast ! You need to make a back up of your os drive . That is sop for any computer . No exception here either .
2) If you loose the os drive you will need to start over with FR assuming you have no back up of your os drive AND you would have to manually re add all the drives back into the pool . Basically start over. If you have a back up then yes, you would pick up where u left off from the last time the os was backed up .You could make a back up of the os drive on the server . Unlikely the os drive and a data drive would fail at the same time.wink.gif Make sure you register your copy of FR weather you install it right away or not . The license code expires in about 7 day's of purchase . If you register FR right away you can extend that 7 day limit . Just FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla View Post

Another question regarding FlexRAID.
Lets say I have three 3TB drives, two of which are in a pool and one of them is the parity drive. As I understand, FlexRAID fills one drive at a time in a pool before moving onto another. So if there's a "Movies" folder in the pool and one of the drives in the pool is almost full, what happens to the "Movies" folder when I put a movie that won't fit in whatever space is left on the first drive? Will the movies folder be split in two?

Understand this : FR works in a POOLED environment. When you click on "computer" inside the explorer bar of your os you will see one drive called (example only) " V Flexraid" that is the entire pool in one drive . That is where your " movies folder" is pulled from , not the individual drives inside the pool. In essence you will still have one folder called "movies" . The over flow will move to the next drive but still be seen as one in the pool .

This is one concept of FR that is tough to grasp at first . Think .... " many drives pooled into one "

I haven't done this in a while but I will make exception here ( i got flamed to many times ! )

Assassin puts out a FANTASTIC guide on Flex Raid . Hands down , no question !

http://www.assassinserver.com/

I would also urge all folks who are curious to go to the FR wiki page . There is a TON of info that will explain it in more precise detail . It truly is an amazing program and I highly recommend it

http://wiki.flexraid.com/

The forum . Be patient . This forum is slow in responding to questions and bumping your own thread is not frowned upon;)

http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php

And last but not least .... the Home Page

http://www.flexraid.com/
post #244 of 252 Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Liked: 12
Doesn't UnRaid have pooling too? Or something about setting up a shared folder which acts the same as pooling.
post #245 of 252 Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

Doesn't UnRaid have pooling too? Or something about setting up a shared folder which acts the same as pooling.

No, technically it does not.
post #246 of 252 Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

No, technically it does not.

Could you explain why what Unraid does with user shares isn't drive pooling? I see my 6 drive unraid server as a single 5.5 TB volume, while unraid automatically fills the drives using high water allocation. Would I not see the same thing if I were to use drive pooling in another program?
post #247 of 252 Old 10-12-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Drive pooling merges all of the drives into a single volume, which is what FlexRAID does. Shares are folders within each drive that are spread over the entire array but appear as a single folder that can be mapped from another PC. It appears pretty much the same way to the user but shares appear as a folder whereas the drive pool appears as a single drive. FlexRAID also allows for shares to be set up. With unRAID you can map a shared folder or an individual drive. With FlexRAID, I believe you can map the shared folder or the entire drive pool.
post #248 of 252 Old 10-12-2012, 09:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Drive pooling merges all of the drives into a single volume, which is what FlexRAID does. Shares are folders within each drive that are spread over the entire array but appear as a single folder that can be mapped from another PC. It appears pretty much the same way to the user but shares appear as a folder whereas the drive pool appears as a single drive. FlexRAID also allows for shares to be set up. With unRAID you can map a shared folder or an individual drive. With FlexRAID, I believe you can map the shared folder or the entire drive pool.

It sounds similar to Windows 7 Library concept - i.e. a collection of item from different drives but on the surface appear to be stored together , plus they can be mapped.

So, its fair to say Drive Pooling is slightly better implemented on FlexRAID but a similar effect can be achieved in UnRaid. So no clear winner on that one.
post #249 of 252 Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

So, its fair to say Drive Pooling is slightly better implemented on FlexRAID but a similar effect can be achieved in UnRaid. So no clear winner on that one.
You'll have to determine which scenario works best for your situation. If you're building a multimedia server, either solution will work fine. If you're building a home server that contains mostly data, then drive pooling may be best suited to your needs.
post #250 of 252 Old 02-22-2014, 12:38 PM

For a storage server that only stores BD rips (and constantly growing on TB) and only switched on for streaming/playing the movie, then switched off again...
what of all of those systems (flex raid, snap raid, unraid, zfs, drive bender etc) are preferred?

I need to see all those drives as a single disk and not making network share for every disc drive...
http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/compare.html from this table the most powerful seems the snapRAID but i didn't quite get what is the symbolic links
4.3 Pooling
http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/manual.html

Any help will be greatly welcomed smile.gif
post #251 of 252 Old 02-23-2014, 08:51 AM

I've been playing around with FlexRaid, UnRaid, and SnapRaid.

Thus far, I find SnapRaid to be very easy and fairly intuitive (thought having a workflow would be even more intuitive), even in command line.  Truly, software raid such as SnapRaid is much simpler that I originally thought; and this comes from someone who prefers intuitive GUI's with wizard-like workflows.  One of the best parts about Snapraid is that I can perform tests to learn how it works very easily, and this gives me a good expectation of what WILL happen when I have a bit rot issue.  I also liked that Snapraid didn't have licensing issues, as I like to experiment and take my time doing them. 

I stayed away from UnRaid because it lakes data integrity checking.

I tried FlexRaid but I thought it was overly complicated for what I needed:  create parity, check integrity, restore.  I also wasn't comfortable with the licensing since I wanted complete flexibility of moving my array around on virtual servers of Linux or Windows or changing hardware.

For drive pool, you can use 3rd party tools.  

The direction I'm going is:

OpenNAS

SnapRAID

Greyhole or Aufs

I have more experiments with the above configuration before I have complete confidence in my NAS, personal cloud, file storage system.  Thus far very promising.

Jake

post #252 of 252 Old 02-24-2014, 06:48 PM

Liked: 13
I tried Flexraid, but couldn't get it to update properly before the trial period expired. I moved to Stablebit Drivepool as my drive extender. It is very slick and easy to use. They also have a complementary product which scans and monitors the health of your hard drives and supposedly warns you of pending failure. I am also starting to experiment with Snapraid. I haven't had a lot of time to get it working yet though.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page