Configure WMC Remote power button to Sleep - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all. I recently built an HTPC. Here are the basics: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit using windows media center, Hauppauge 2250 tuner with IR receiver and remote.

Mostly everything is working properly, including the remote, which I have replaced with the Logitech Harmony 300 so I can control the receiver, TV, etc, in addition to media center.

Here is what I am trying to do: use the power button on the remote to bring the computer in and out of sleep (or maybe even turn the computer on and off). Currently, the power button simply closes Windows Media Center, leaving the computer on, which is not what I want.

I have googled this and found similar issues, but no solution.

In the Harmony software, I have chosen both "Hauppauge 2250" and "Windows Media Center" devices. Both work, but the power button behaves the same on both. If you are familiar with the Harmony software, you can drag and drop commands onto the button you want to assign the command to, but there is no "Sleep" option. Only "PowerToggle" which just closes out of media center. You can also "learn" commands from other remotes, but the remote that came with the tuner does not have a sleep button.

I know if I can just have the power button behave the same as if I physically press the power button on the computer, I should be able to configure the power option how I want in Control Panel.

Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 AM

I was just tinkering the other night with my Harmony 900, when I created the device in the Harmony SW I followed the directions on the Harmony board by using Microsoft as manufacturer and Windows Media Center SE for type. This created the keys for me, one of which was power that does what you want, suspends the PC. Press it again and WMC comes back.

I also went into the power settings on the PC and set the power button to sleep mode. So pressing the power button also does the same.

Perhaps the last thing is actually what makes this work with Logitech, not sure as I did this step first.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Nice - I will give this a try tonight and post how it works out..
post #4 of 15 Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, this did not work. Windows Media Center SE had a few more commands (power on, power off, in addition to powertoggle), but I tried all these and they are still only closing the program.

I read that pronto codes can be entered into the remote manually, but I can't find how to do this. Can someone help?
post #5 of 15 Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #6 of 15 Old 05-22-2012, 06:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maldives View Post

In the Harmony software, I have chosen both "Hauppauge 2250" and "Windows Media Center" devices. Both work, but the power button behaves the same on both. If you are familiar with the Harmony software, you can drag and drop commands onto the button you want to assign the command to, but there is no "Sleep" option. Only "PowerToggle" which just closes out of media center. You can also "learn" commands from other remotes, but the remote that came with the tuner does not have a sleep button.

I know if I can just have the power button behave the same as if I physically press the power button on the computer, I should be able to configure the power option how I want in Control Panel.

Help?

Is the Hauppauge 2250 an external device? I have a Ceton card and I have my Logitech Harmony One remote just programmed for Microsoft WMC. It just works (goes to sleep).

Is the IR receiver plugged into the HTPC? Or is it part of Hauppauge?
post #7 of 15 Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

It is an internal PCI express card and the IR receiver connects directly to the back of the card. Did you have to configure the power button, or did you just use the defaults?
post #8 of 15 Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 13
It is the Hauppage receiver that must be doing it, many IR receivers have issues with sleep not working, you can get an HP IR receiver on Ebay for around $10 that works fine. It doesnt matter how you code the remote, the receiver is what translates the remote signal into a command for the computer, if the receiver doesnt have a normal sleep command in its database then theres nothing you can do.

If the receiver supports keyboard commands you can try a command that does "win key, right, right, s"
post #9 of 15 Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

you can get an HP IR receiver on Ebay for around $10 that works fine.

This is what I have and yes, it works great. You probably want to contact Hauppage to find out if their receiver supports the sleep command. idividebyzero alternate suggestion is also worth a shot.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 PM

Liked: 18
Do you have a generic WMC remote ? You could just learn the command from the remote. Thats what I did for my MX-880. Then just go into power options and set up the power/sleep buttons.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #11 of 15 Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hopefully I won't have to buy another IR receiver, but if I have to do that to fix it, then I will have to break down.

I tried pressing "win key, right, right, s" by hooking up a regular keyboard, and this does not send it to sleep.

Also, I do still have the original remote, but the power button on this behaves the same as the Harmony (simply starting and stopping WMC).

I have contacted Hauppauge today and hopefully I will hear back soon.

I made a batch file and placed the following command in it: "shutdown.exe -h". This works, and after sleep/hibernating, pressing power brings it out of hibernate. I have tried to create a shortcut pointing to this batch file and setting the keyboard shortcut (ie ctrl+alt+s). This works using a regular keyboard, but not the remote.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to update this thread - turns out the comments left here were correct, so thank you for your help. I bought an HP IR receiver from amazon, plugged it in, and it works perfectly. It brings the HTPC in and out of sleep and all other functions work great too. I did not have to install drivers or configure anything, and I did not have to change any of the buttons on the harmony remote.

A side note: I also had issues with the built in IR receiver taking commands twice (e.g. pressing OK would send the OK command twice, which was not good). The HP receiver fixed this issue.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-23-2012, 10:08 AM

When the HTPC enters sleep mode... will it still download from Usenet or does that pause?

Don't make fun of me for my stupid questions!
post #14 of 15 Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That makes no sense. If the PC is sleeping why would it be downloading?
post #15 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 02:45 PM

I don't know if this will help you, but I just set up my 900 last night. I have the Origen M10 that comes with the soundgraph / imon stuff.

When setting up the remote, I chose computer, then Soundgraph, V310. It works like a champ. Power works better now than it did with the included remote.
Reply Home Theater Computers