Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Anyone know where he went?

He made a few hints that he was starting his own site. I hope not as he is a HUGE asset to AVS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Hope he's okay. That's a long time. If he is starting his own site why would he abandon avs? It seems to be a good way to drive traffic to your own site plus a good place to support by purchasing advertisement.

post #3 of 63 Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Hope he's okay. That's a long time. If he is starting his own site why would he abandon avs? It seems to be a good way to drive traffic to your own site plus a good place to support by purchasing advertisement.

Time constraints.
post #4 of 63 Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought he was lying low to work on the next update of his guide. It seems that too many people were asking about when the next guide was going to be out. In any case, hope that he's ok as well.
post #5 of 63 Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
PM him?

Most of these PM notifications go to personal email inbox and mobile devices, he might respond.

he is probably just busy.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 63 Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM

Liked: 10
..just busy? Not telling anything to anybody? Writing a bunch of posts each day since years then stopped it from one day to next? Must be fallen from chair or something..

Where is his "own site"?
post #7 of 63 Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Maybe the man has some personal issues or work related stuff, between work, my college, custom installs and "a new job for somebody on this forum wink wink" i barely have time to edit my guides, let alone post the way i used to months ago.
post #8 of 63 Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Barely is different to nothing...hmm. "The man" had knowing passion in every word since years... always friendly to my guide, hell I'm missing him.

Hope his new passion are Hawaiian waves instead of Weave's.
post #9 of 63 Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyez View Post

and "a new job for somebody on this forum wink wink"

post #10 of 63 Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
He's my HTPC hero. His wisdom seems infinite. Hope all is well with him.

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
post #11 of 63 Old 05-12-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Alien abduction?
post #12 of 63 Old 05-13-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I sent him an e-mail a couple of days ago with a link to this thread. I haven't heard anything. He was living in Japan a year ago. Maybe he's taken a long holiday.

He's been an incredible resource for this forum.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center
jriver.com or Owners Thread at AVSForum
post #13 of 63 Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 AM

Destroyed devices? Nuclear issues?
post #14 of 63 Old 05-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Bumping just to see if anyone has heard any news about Renethx. Really hoping to get news that he is ok.
post #15 of 63 Old 05-28-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTuesday View Post

Bumping just to see if anyone has heard any news about Renethx. Really hoping to get news that he is ok.

Surprised no one has heard from him

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #16 of 63 Old 05-28-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSalita View Post

He's my HTPC hero. His wisdom seems infinite. Hope all is well with him.

I agree he is a beast and seemed to know everything about every PC component hitting the market.
post #17 of 63 Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duketuesday View Post

bumping just to see if anyone has heard any news about renethx. Really hoping to get news that he is ok.

+1
post #18 of 63 Old 05-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
+1
post #19 of 63 Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

+ .0768524

-

post #20 of 63 Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 AM

post #21 of 63 Old 06-06-2012, 08:36 AM

I'm new here and was in search of a "mentor" to help me build my first HD HTPC. I found his guides and they are phenomenal, to say the least. I was so sad to see that he had been inactive for a few months now... I do hope he is ok as well as I can see how much he has contributed to this forum. I was going to see if he could help me with my first HTPC. Oh well confused.gif

Don't make fun of me for my stupid questions!
post #22 of 63 Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Liked: 11
Can I suggest Assassin as a suitable mentor? His guides got me up an running without much issue. The $20 is more than worth it.
post #23 of 63 Old 06-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Is the paid guide more than a "Simple/Beginner" guide?

Don't make fun of me for my stupid questions!
post #24 of 63 Old 06-06-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfhancock View Post

Is the paid guide more than a "Simple/Beginner" guide?

Absolutely!

It walks you though some pretty complicated and advanced stuff that it would take you forever to try to figure out on your own.
post #25 of 63 Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Aren't Assassin's guides more along the lines of how to install everything and how to configure your system? ReneTHX's guides were more about which parts to buy in order to assemble a system that will work well once everything is put together. This made it pretty easy to make sure you were getting a motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. that would all play well together. I don't see the 2 as being interchangeable.
post #26 of 63 Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Aren't Assassin's guides more along the lines of how to install everything and how to configure your system? ReneTHX's guides were more about which parts to buy in order to assemble a system that will work well once everything is put together. This made it pretty easy to make sure you were getting a motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. that would all play well together. I don't see the 2 as being interchangeable.

I do an awful lot of building and testing. After all we are a htpc company.
post #27 of 63 Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I do an awful lot of building and testing. After all we are a htpc company.
But do your guides list various combinations of components to serve different purposes (such as low end, mid range, high end, workstation, file server, etc.) like ReneTHX's guide does (did?)? If not, then your guides and his aren't interchangeable. I'm not implying there's no value in your guides, but IMHO ReneTHX's guides played a role that no other guide I'm aware of can replace at this time.
post #28 of 63 Old 06-06-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But do your guides list various combinations of components to serve different purposes (such as low end, mid range, high end, workstation, file server, etc.) like ReneTHX's guide does (did?)? If not, then your guides and his aren't interchangeable. I'm not implying there's no value in your guides, but IMHO ReneTHX's guides played a role that no other guide I'm aware of can replace at this time.

I never said they were interchangeable. But its pretty easy to put together a "low end, mid range, high end" system based on the parts that I have used and recommend. I also have a set of server guides but I am not going to make those free. Let's put it this way --- I tested and created my initial AVS hardware guides and received 32 voluntary donations over a 12 month span. So we are talking less than $400 total people thought my time and guides were worth over that time which amounts to about $30 per month. Look, I am all for helping out the HTPC community but how am I (or renethx) supposed to realistically create and update guides let alone devote some of my precious free time long term to such a cause?

That's why I say that paid guides are the way to go as it keeps the poster interested and somewhat invested in the guides. There are thousands of free HTPC/PC guides out there that were posted and then soon forgotten.

There is a reason that Renethx is most likely gone and its because you just can't do what he did for the paltry amount that people paid him. I agree with him that it takes about $1000/month minimum to test and create hardware guides. So unless someone at AVS is going to step up and invest $12,000+ a year for a set of hardware guides plus devote their free time to them it just isn't going to happen. It also isn't just the parts that cost money but also his time which is even tougher to put an evaluation on. Creating and updating guides is another full time job so you are looking at another $2000+ per month in compensation to likely make it worth his while.

So its no surprise that he no longer posts or is active. I hope that he is setting up a paid website where he can get compensated for his time, knowledge and expertise. I know that I will be one of the first to sign up if he indeed creates such a place.
post #29 of 63 Old 06-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Assassin's guides do give build options. His hardware guide is free, easy to understand, and has some great pictures to go along with it. While his approach is different than ReneTHX's, it would be a great place for someone to start with HTPC builds. I paid for both Rene's and Assassin's guides and found them both very helpful. It is too bad that Rene hasn't been around and that his guide has become dated, but Assassin's hardware guide is up to date and even includes Ivy Bridge builds. That being said, I recommend that people who use his free guides also pony up the $25 bucks and follow his software guides. They are more than worth it and an incredible value.

It's obvious that Rene is missed. I donated double to him right before he disappeared in the hopes that it would help him produce a new guide. The guy was giving away massive amounts of time and expertise, and I guess he couldn't sustain it. Hope he surfaces again and we can all show support and benefit from his knowledge.
post #30 of 63 Old 06-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

There is a reason that Renethx is most likely gone and its because you just can't do what he did for the paltry amount that people paid him. I agree with him that it takes about $1000/month minimum to test and create hardware guides. So unless someone at AVS is going to step up and invest $12,000+ a year

If I had a windfall I would send $12,000 to renethx right now. His guide is to me the best thing. I lost all purchased issues due to someone deleting them. It had been more than 4 months so I purchased again so I can at least have the last one. I hope it is not the last one. Missing many issues I once had. I hope they are not lost forever and more importantly renethx is not _______ forever. I really miss him and his work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeTuesday View Post

I donated double to him right before he disappeared in the hopes that it would help him produce a new guide.

This was a good idea. I wish I had the foresight to see what was happening and realized the need. If I did and could have done it before he left I would have tried to scrounge up as much as ten times the the 4 issue amount in hopes that it might have helped to change something. renethx please come back. There is nothing like what you have done in the whole world.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page