Minimum SSD size for Live TV Buffer + TV recordings - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
kevinmscs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

OP has already stated that he'll archive off content to a WHS so local long-term storage is not needed.

A SSD runs cooler, consumes less power at start up, full load, and idle, and is faster. A single SSD drive large enough for OS, apps, record buffer and short term content storage will provide everything, as oppose to needing (or wanting) an SSD for OS/apps and a 2nd drive for storage.

If you look at everything just most bang for your buck, then almost everything we talk about here is overkill for a HTPC.

Agreed. I'd build an HTPC with a slightly bigger case, eg, not necessarily the "slimmest" case - thus the airflow/fans can do its job to keep it cool, plus the ability to use both SSD and 3.5 regular HDD for storage. Mine - i use the Silverstone GD05B case which is not the slimmest but in my opinion, gives me the ability to put in a regular P/S, any PCI-E card i want (not low-profile) and very efficient cooling...
kevinmscs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 34 Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ilovejedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Agreed. I'd build an HTPC with a slightly bigger case, eg, not necessarily the "slimmest" case - thus the airflow/fans can do its job to keep it cool, plus the ability to use both SSD and 3.5 regular HDD for storage. Mine - i use the Silverstone GD05B case which is not the slimmest but in my opinion, gives me the ability to put in a regular P/S, any PCI-E card i want (not low-profile) and very efficient cooling...

Different strokes for different folks. We live in a tiny apartment and don't have space for something as large as a GD05B (AVR-sized). Most of my HTPCs are the size of the Wii and are hidden behind the TV. Buying a largish SSD for the HTPCs is infinitely cheaper than buying a house (the ones in the neighborhood are in the region of $500,000) or moving to a bigger apartment to accommodate the extra space required.
ilovejedd is offline  
post #33 of 34 Old 05-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
kevinmscs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Different strokes for different folks. We live in a tiny apartment and don't have space for something as large as a GD05B (AVR-sized). Most of my HTPCs are the size of the Wii and are hidden behind the TV. Buying a largish SSD for the HTPCs is infinitely cheaper than buying a house (the ones in the neighborhood are in the region of $500,000) or moving to a bigger apartment to accommodate the extra space required.

Understood. But then when everything is hidden behind the TV, dont you have to buy a RF remote like a Harmony 900 - which is expensive? ;-) j/k
kevinmscs is offline  
post #34 of 34 Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ilovejedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Understood. But then when everything is hidden behind the TV, dont you have to buy a RF remote like a Harmony 900 - which is expensive? ;-) j/k

While the PC is hidden behind the TV, the tiny USB IR receiver is peaking out by the TV's stand. I have no qualms buying a Harmony 900 but the parents prefer the peanut-shaped Media Center Remote. Too many buttons on the Harmony confuses them.

I myself use my iPod Touch or iPhone to control the HTPC.
ilovejedd is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off