post #31 of 34 Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

OP has already stated that he'll archive off content to a WHS so local long-term storage is not needed.

A SSD runs cooler, consumes less power at start up, full load, and idle, and is faster. A single SSD drive large enough for OS, apps, record buffer and short term content storage will provide everything, as oppose to needing (or wanting) an SSD for OS/apps and a 2nd drive for storage.

If you look at everything just most bang for your buck, then almost everything we talk about here is overkill for a HTPC.

Agreed. I'd build an HTPC with a slightly bigger case, eg, not necessarily the "slimmest" case - thus the airflow/fans can do its job to keep it cool, plus the ability to use both SSD and 3.5 regular HDD for storage. Mine - i use the Silverstone GD05B case which is not the slimmest but in my opinion, gives me the ability to put in a regular P/S, any PCI-E card i want (not low-profile) and very efficient cooling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Agreed. I'd build an HTPC with a slightly bigger case, eg, not necessarily the "slimmest" case - thus the airflow/fans can do its job to keep it cool, plus the ability to use both SSD and 3.5 regular HDD for storage. Mine - i use the Silverstone GD05B case which is not the slimmest but in my opinion, gives me the ability to put in a regular P/S, any PCI-E card i want (not low-profile) and very efficient cooling...

Different strokes for different folks. We live in a tiny apartment and don't have space for something as large as a GD05B (AVR-sized). Most of my HTPCs are the size of the Wii and are hidden behind the TV. Buying a largish SSD for the HTPCs is infinitely cheaper than buying a house (the ones in the neighborhood are in the region of $500,000) or moving to a bigger apartment to accommodate the extra space required.
post #33 of 34 Old 05-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

Different strokes for different folks. We live in a tiny apartment and don't have space for something as large as a GD05B (AVR-sized). Most of my HTPCs are the size of the Wii and are hidden behind the TV. Buying a largish SSD for the HTPCs is infinitely cheaper than buying a house (the ones in the neighborhood are in the region of $500,000) or moving to a bigger apartment to accommodate the extra space required.

Understood. But then when everything is hidden behind the TV, dont you have to buy a RF remote like a Harmony 900 - which is expensive? ;-) j/k
post #34 of 34 Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Understood. But then when everything is hidden behind the TV, dont you have to buy a RF remote like a Harmony 900 - which is expensive? ;-) j/k

While the PC is hidden behind the TV, the tiny USB IR receiver is peaking out by the TV's stand. I have no qualms buying a Harmony 900 but the parents prefer the peanut-shaped Media Center Remote. Too many buttons on the Harmony confuses them.

I myself use my iPod Touch or iPhone to control the HTPC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page