Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2012, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have been having connection problems with my WHS2011 for some time now. I am so frustrated that I am able to just install Win7 on the machine and do everything manually. I am hoping for some help to get my networking problems resolved.

First off, the WHS networking was working fine for a long time (~7 months). Suddenly, I WHS LaunchPad will not connect and I get an error that the server is offline. If I browse to the server using windows network, I am able to connect but required to put in my username and password. This happens on all of my Win7 machines in my house (4 in total). All lost the connection at the same time. Also, I am unable to connect to the WHS from outside my home network as well. I am able to connect when using the Dashboard.

I have attempted the following to obtain resolution:
  • Uninstalled Windows Connector on the Win7 Machines: When I browse to FileServer/Connect to re-install via the web browser, I get an error 500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.
  • I tried to disable IP6 on the Win7 machines and that did not work
  • I keep getting errors that the router is not configured properly. I have reconfigured the router manually (DIR-655), I have factory reset the router and reconfigured manually, and I have replaced the router with another DIR-655 and configured it as well. All without success.
  • I have disabled firewalls on both WHS machines and Win7 machines without success
  • I have probably tried other things which I can’t remember because I have been trying to fix this for several months.

I could use help in getting this resolved as I am really frustrated with the WHS machine.

Thanks,

T.Wells
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 06:32 AM

Check inside your network control panel and make sure it is set to Home instead of Public or Work.
Make sure the appropriate ports are forwarded to your WHS machine instead of your router.
Try using a static IP for your WHS machine.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Have you tried restoring the last WHS backup prior to your problems?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

Check inside your network control panel and make sure it is set to Home instead of Public or Work.
Make sure the appropriate ports are forwarded to your WHS machine instead of your router.
Try using a static IP for your WHS machine.

Thank for the suggestions. Yes, the network is setup to 'home' and ports 80, 443, and 4125 are all forwarded. WHS has been on a static IP since I started it. For kicks, I changed the static IP, re-forward the ports from the newly assigned IP and still no joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Have you tried restoring the last WHS backup prior to your problems?

Ah, I wish I had thought of that or began addressing my problem sooner. Unfortunately, the oldest back-up I have is from 4 months ago and I had the problem then. Thanks for that idea, I'll have to do that next time.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
T.Wells
Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM

Are you sure your clients are also set to Home? I assume you're on the same subnet?
You've updated to SP1 on WHS?
When in doubt, a simple reload might be an option.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars99 View Post

Are you sure your clients are also set to Home? I assume you're on the same subnet?
You've updated to SP1 on WHS?
When in doubt, a simple reload might be an option.

Yes, the clients were set to home and I did update to SP1 on WHS.

I wound up doing a reinstall today and it is now working again. I hope that remains the case once I do all the Windows Updates.

Thanks,
T.Wells