New To This! Please Please Please Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased a 70 inch Sharp LED TV with a PC running Windows 7 Pro, connected with an HDMI cable.
I would like to copy my 60+ DVD's of family video to the computer and play them in some organized fashion. They were created in Pinnacle Studio and have chapters. I believe XBMC may be my best bet but really don't know. What about add-ons?
I would love some advise on if that's the best program to catelog my DVD's and be able to search by a specific chapter (ie: Kids 4th birthday party, Disney vacation, graduation, etc.).
Also, what is the best way to rip them and how do I name the files?
Also any tips to save me time would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1302559

Welcome to the forum

Have you checked out the link and registered for the paid guides ?

Guarantee your frustration levels will drop immediately
post #3 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks flocko. I am more than willing to pay for assistance. Who is the best for what I am trying to accomplish?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Did you click the link ? That is your best bet .

It's not that you "have" to pay for assistance .... it was just that it was my best suggestion if you want a speedier solution and a TON of other info as well that may clear up some other questions you may have as well .

If your not in a huge hurry and can afford some time then hang out for a bit and you will get some other feed back .

Consider this a slight "bump for ya man" type of post
post #5 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjordan View Post

Thanks flocko. I am more than willing to pay for assistance. Who is the best for what I am trying to accomplish?

Here is the direct link flocko was referencing:

assassinhtpcblog.com
post #6 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you for that correction .... should have done that to begin with
post #7 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just purchased a 70 inch Sharp LED TV with a PC running Windows 7 Pro, connected with an HDMI cable.
I would like to copy my 60+ DVD's of family video to the computer and play them in some organized fashion. They were created in Pinnacle Studio and have chapters. I believe XBMC may be my best bet but really don't know. What about add-ons?
I would love some advise on if that's the best program to catelog my DVD's and be able to search by a specific chapter (ie: Kids 4th birthday party, Disney vacation, graduation, etc.).

Ripping DVDs can be done with specific software. Try programs like DVDFab, DVD clone, and DVD Shrink. The dvd will be placed on your hard drive in a file format like this (using generic names) c:\\dvds\\\\video_ts\\

A program like XBMC, JRiver, MediaBrowser can then be directed to the "dvds" folder and it will play the files inside the " folder.

If you were ripping hollywood dvd movies that are recognized by IMDB then the folder name should correspond with the movie name and date. For example dvds\\Avatar (2009)\\video_ts\\ XBMC, mediabrowser, JRiver and others will all recognize this format and download cover art, movie info, and background images. This is called metadata.

But since you're ripping home movies XBMC, mediabrowser, and JRiver will not recognize the name and therefore not download metadata. You will have to create your own. For XBMC I use a program called Ember Media Manager. It allows you to add movie descriptions, personalized cover art, and background images. This data will show up when you add the movie to XBMC.

There's so much more that can't be covered in this reply. All I can say is read, read, read. Good luck
post #8 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would like to copy my 60+ DVD's of family video to the computer and play them in some organized fashion. They were created in Pinnacle Studio and have chapters.

if they are home video's, all you need to do is a standard everyday window file copy to move the files from DVD and place them on HDD...
store bought DVD's & BR tend to be a bit more work as they tend to not want people to copy them for some odd reason, but still, anyDVD, DVDFAB, etc can copy those easy enough too...
or you can use something like MakeMKV to create 1 big file...

Quote:

I believe XBMC may be my best bet but really don't know. What about add-ons?

it may very well be... but that is 100% a personal preference thing, load it up, play with it, and then decide if it is for you or not...

Quote:

I have no clue if there is anything? everything I know about is more actual "Hollywood" type Movie oriented...

Quote:

you don't name the files, just name the upper level folder something that you will understand...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #9 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I think J River Media Center has a free 30 day trial. You might give it a shot. It's not necessarily the easiest to figure out, but it's incredibly flexible and powerful, and you can get a lot of help on their user forums.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

I think J River Media Center has a free 30 day trial. You might give it a shot. It's not necessarily the easiest to figure out, but it's incredibly flexible and powerful, and you can get a lot of help on their user forums.

+1.

Good product. Jriver is high quality and well thought out. They do offer a free download and trial on the website.

learning curve sucks a bit... but once you get it- your glad you did.

----

But it's worth looking at the guides mentioned above and following them for set up of XBMC and Mediabrowser.

Those are the two most popular programs- and the guides will cover those as well as Jriver. You can try them all and decide for yourself.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page