XBMC = Heaven - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just wanted to start this off by saying. There's nothing close to the enjoyment that a htpc can bring you. Though for most of us its a constant struggle to get our htpc's just to preform as expected. Just like an artist who has a masterpiece in his head who just can't transfer it to canvas. We sometimes get bogged down by the fact that we have a vision of what our htpc can be, and what it is. So after 2 1/2 years of building, ripping, trying different programs, and running into endless problems. My "Mona Lisa" is complete thanks to Xbmc. From my harmony remote, to playing 24p files, everything is perfect now. The only thing is that you're so use to tinkering that it feels strange just to enjoy your htpc. So if anyone has any trouble please feel free to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does it do HD Lossless audio now?

...I've heard it's been going back and forth with that feature.
post #3 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

yes it now does lossless HD audio
post #4 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 03:07 PM

Which build/theme are you using? That was always the most confusing thing to me. Too many choices
post #5 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 03:14 PM

It's even working very nicely for live TV and recording now.

It still needs some work in the time-shifting area. But its working well enough with the mediaportal tv server to have replaced windows mce for me.

Channel changes are fast and playback looks just as good as mce or mediaportal.
post #6 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How is this XBMC ease-of-use factor? Can grandma pick up the remote and there she goes?
post #7 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

How is this XBMC ease-of-use factor? Can grandma pick up the remote and there she goes?

yes, if you keep it simple.
post #8 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boke01 View Post

It still needs some work in the time-shifting area. But its working well enough with the mediaportal tv server to have replaced windows mce for me.

I'm still working on this. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm having a hard time getting XBMC to even show the option for live tv.
post #9 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart View Post

yes it now does lossless HD audio

Doesn't this require the HD audio patch? Also, I heard there were issues with the HD audio patch and the final Eden release. Do you know if these problems were addressed?
post #10 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I'm still working on this. Can you point me in the right direction? I'm having a hard time getting XBMC to even show the option for live tv.

Without a doubt the hardest part is setting up Mediaportal's TV server. But is easy enough when you have done it a few times.

Here are the steps I took.

Download and install Mediaportal 1.2.3 . You can just install the TV server portion of the software if you like.

Download and install XBMC PVR from http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~mar.../prebuild.html. I used the "XBMC Eden (11.0) build" from 03-05-2012 . the pre Frodo build gives me problems.

Download the TVServerXBMC plugin http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~mar...erverxbmc.html. I used v1.2.3.114 .

First to configure mediaportal:

Un-rar the Release version of the TVServerXBMC plugin to the Plugins folder in the Mediaportal TV Sever instalation directory.

Start TV-Server configuration, click on "Plugins" and then put a check in "TVServerXBMC" to enable it.
Now click on "Manual Control" and then "Stop Service", when it has stoped click "Start Service" and then "OK". The plugin should now be active.

Configure your tuners, scan for channels and setup the EPG. I use the xmltv plugin with mc2xml to grab the guide data.

Now to configure XBMC:

Goto System-> Settings-> Add-ons-> Installed Add-ons-> PVR clients-> Mediaportal PVR Client (TSReader) and enable it. Then configure the TSReader part of the addon to point to your "Mediaportal recordings directory" and the "Timeshift buffer directory".
Disable all other PVR Clients.

Now goto System-> Settings-> Live TV-> General and enable "Enabled".
Your guide data should be imported and the Live TV menu option will appear in the main menu. You should be ready to go.

It does have some bugs but is becoming very useable. One obvious bug is in the channel list some channels will say "No information available". Even though the Guide data has been imported correctly and shows the correct info in the EPG Timeline.
post #11 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Doesn't this require the HD audio patch? Also, I heard there were issues with the HD audio patch and the final Eden release. Do you know if these problems were addressed?

It does require a different build. I don't like calling it a patch because that implies you install an update to XBMC, and I'm pretty sure that isn't true. You have to download an unofficial build.

Which brings me to the next caveat. You can't currently do both HD audio and LiveTV together. They are both unofficial builds with additional features. The LiveTV stuff isn't due to merge into the main branch until the next major release (probably next December given past history). The HD audio support may come to the official build earlier.
post #12 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 05:32 PM

How does XBMC do on TV series recording handling? I remember a few years ago I tried Media Portal, and liked it, except for the way it handled TV recordings. If you told it to record all episodes of a series, new and rerun, it would record the same episode over and over and over...ignoring the fact that it had already recorded it, leaving me with 10 recordings of the same episode of Mythbusters.
Does XBMC do a better job of understanding things like this?

Ray
===Ghostlobster===
post #13 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostlobster View Post

How does XBMC do on TV series recording handling? I remember a few years ago I tried Media Portal, and liked it, except for the way it handled TV recordings. If you told it to record all episodes of a series, new and rerun, it would record the same episode over and over and over...ignoring the fact that it had already recorded it, leaving me with 10 recordings of the same episode of Mythbusters.
Does XBMC do a better job of understanding things like this?

Not yet. Though I don't think that happens anymore within Mediaportal itself. So for now you can launch mediaportal to schedule your more advanced series recordings.

If you want much more fine control of what is recorded and when the "For The Record" plugin for Mediaportal works great.

Installing multiple pieces of software is a bit of a downer but they work well together.
post #14 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 07:00 PM

So you can now use XBMC as a PVR by installing the mediaportal FE?

1)why not just use Mediaportal for both FE and BE?
2)Is Mc2xml still the best (only) option to get guide data?

post #15 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 07:23 PM

1) I still use analog cable for some stations. Never could get Mediaportal to play back those stations smoothly. Also XBMC for me is much snappier. And adding shares, changing skins, audio/video configuration and so much more can all be done with a remote from the couch. I like that much better.

2) Not sure its all I've needed so I haven't tried any other way.

I don't want to fool anyone into thinking the TV side is 100% ready for prime time. It is not. It is somewhat of a pain to set up. But if you can get mediaportal working you can easily get XBMC PVR running.

It needs 3 more things to make me happy.

Timeshift forward and back. And an option to record ONLY new episodes.

The new episodes problem can be overcome by using "For The Record".
post #16 of 54 Old 05-05-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Too bad I've got to use WMC with my Ceton to get its full potential. I haven't bothered with XBMC since getting a cablecard tuner.

post #17 of 54 Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Too bad I've got to use WMC with my Ceton to get its full potential. I haven't bothered with XBMC since getting a cablecard tuner.

Im the almost the same way - where I was using XBMC for everything, the only thing I use it for now is watching some of the Video Plug-Ins, like MLBMC, SportsDevil, and Navi-X.

Other than that, its all WMC+MB for me.
post #18 of 54 Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxphenomx View Post

Which build/theme are you using? That was always the most confusing thing to me. Too many choices

I'm using Eden 11 with the hd audio patch, with aeon mq3 skin. Another reason I love xbmc is "pseudotv", that alone is worth switching to xbmc.
post #19 of 54 Old 05-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy980 View Post

I'm using Eden 11 with the hd audio patch, with aeon mq3 skin. Another reason I love xbmc is "pseudotv", that alone is worth switching to xbmc.

Explain "pseudotv"
post #20 of 54 Old 05-06-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boke01 View Post

Thats good to hear, it looks like we are going to need an alternative now that MS seems to be abandoning media center. I haven't really used xbmc because I needed the DVR functionality of MC.

I'm wondering if MS is bowing to media companies, it seems like they are all pretty anti computer.
post #21 of 54 Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:

Explain "pseudotv"

Its goal is channel surfing.

It's an XBMC add-on that organizes your media as if you were watching TV via a program guide similar to a cable or Sat provider.

Here is an awesome guide for setting it up:

http://cloud.github.com/downloads/xb...dia_System.pdf

From this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127492
post #22 of 54 Old 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesfullup View Post

Its goal is channel surfing.

It's an XBMC add-on that organizes your media as if you were watching TV via a program guide similar to a cable or Sat provider.

Here is an awesome guide for setting it up:

http://cloud.github.com/downloads/xb...dia_System.pdf

From this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=127492

Many thanks for drawing my attention to this. It's been fun playing around with it for the most part.

I tried installing and using it on the mac mini w/ XBMC in my main HT, and it's been kinda neat. As I was using it on a mac, I couldn't play around with channel assignments using PseudoTV Network manager, but, even despite that limitation, it's been cool.

The main problem I've been having is all kinds of hiccups and XBMC crashes when switching from different types of files. I have about 1600 movies and about 60 TV series, many of which are in very different formats from others, and the audio/ resolution/ refresh rate switches have caused all kinds of issues that have necessitated anything from going into the audio menu and clicking/unclicking various settings, to XBMC app crashes, to one episode where I had to reboot b/c it appears that XBMC tried to switch to 25p for a Luther episode when my TV doesn't take 25p, and I couldn't get it to auto detect the display resolutions through my Onkyo 905 afterwards.

Granted, I haven't screwed around with XBMC for a long while on my macs, and I'm still happy with WMC+MB for my HTPC's due to Ceton integration, but a program add-on like PseudoTV could be very helpful for my wife, who seems inherently incapable of deciding on what to watch from my library just due to the sheer numbers of possible movies.

Sometimes cutting down on people's choices can be a very good thing.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll play a little more with it in the coming days...
post #23 of 54 Old 05-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
For those of you on WMC instead of XBMC, SecondRun.tv does the same thing as PseudoTV minus the time adjusting aspect of the media. Plus, you can integrate Hulu and Netflix into the fake guide.

http://www.secondrun.tv/

Also MediaBrowser has it's own version more akin to PseudoTV but no Netflix or Hulu support either

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/per...---version-1-0

I prefer/use SecondRun personally
post #24 of 54 Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM

what skin is that?
post #25 of 54 Old 05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
No clue. Don't use MediaBrowser. That's just the preview image from the release thread over at the forums.
post #26 of 54 Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Anyone have an answer to this unless I mused it somewhere in the thread?

Also, can the XBMC player bitstream LPCM HD multi-channel audio?
post #27 of 54 Old 05-07-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 173
What's the deal with their dvr plans? I know right now you have to install a separate build, media portal, and then do a bunch of configurations to get it to work. First, why do you need mediaportal? Are they not developing their own in house way of doing dvr? A simple turn on and start using like WMC would make more sense and be in line with their philosophy. I guess I'm just confused what their ultimate goal is. XBMC will never become my primary use for dvr if I have to go through all those steps to get it working (and half ass working as it is right now).
post #28 of 54 Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

What's the deal with their dvr plans? I know right now you have to install a separate build, media portal, and then do a bunch of configurations to get it to work. First, why do you need mediaportal? Are they not developing their own in house way of doing dvr? A simple turn on and start using like WMC would make more sense and be in line with their philosophy. I guess I'm just confused what their ultimate goal is. XBMC will never become my primary use for dvr if I have to go through all those steps to get it working (and half ass working as it is right now).

Its just not ready yet.

Pretty simple.
post #29 of 54 Old 05-07-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

My understanding is the focus of the next major release (12.0) will be DVR. So wait a year and check in again!
post #30 of 54 Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:

My understanding is the focus of the next major release (12.0) will be DVR. So wait a year and check in again!

And even then its doubtful they will ever develop their own back-end.

They will continue to use the other already existing back-ends.

The man hours it would take to develop a dedicated back-end would be considerable.

Quote:

XBMC will never become my primary use for dvr if I have to go through all those steps to get it working (and half ass working as it is right now).

I didn't think using Mediaportal's TV engine was a good idea either. But it is working very nice for me... certainly not half assed.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page