HTPC buying advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've just won an AMD FX-8120 and would like to use it to replace my old system (AMD X2 5600+, 4GB, Radeon 5770..another win, NSK2480, WD 1TB).

It's only use is for watching movies, TV and the occasional song from the WHS. It will NOT be used for gaming, encoding, etc.

I would like to scale down the size from what I have now. I like the look and quality of Silverstone cases. ITX would be great but I don't think it will be realistic given the processor and its lack of integrated GFX.

Can you give me some advice on a case (plus ODD depending on the case), PSU, video card, SSD and motherboard (no frills required)? I don't want to spend a fortune on this. The current system really does work great for everything I do. I'm just doing this as a fun tinkering project.

EDIT: Forgot to mention support for TrueHD and DTSHD is a must have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Liked: 10
Congrats on your win! This may sound strange, but given that processor and the description of how you will use the system, I would sell the processor and get an AMD A4 or A6 with integrated graphics and low power.

It just sounds like you need to purchase a lot of stuff to accommodate a processor that is overkill for a HTPC
post #3 of 4 Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisishf View Post

I've just won an AMD FX-8120 and would like to use it to replace my old system (AMD X2 5600+, 4GB, Radeon 5770..another win, NSK2480, WD 1TB).

It's only use is for watching movies, TV and the occasional song from the WHS. It will NOT be used for gaming, encoding, etc.

I would like to scale down the size from what I have now. I like the look and quality of Silverstone cases. ITX would be great but I don't think it will be realistic given the processor and its lack of integrated GFX.

Can you give me some advice on a case (plus ODD depending on the case), PSU, video card, SSD and motherboard (no frills required)? I don't want to spend a fortune on this. The current system really does work great for everything I do. I'm just doing this as a fun tinkering project.

EDIT: Forgot to mention support for TrueHD and DTSHD is a must have.

You can build an ITX with a graphics card in a Silverstone SG05 or SG06. Look on Youtube for some build examples. The SG05 looks really nice and some people use them even for compact gaming systems. It comes in both 300w and 450w versions.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-06-2012, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
Any other suggestions?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page