You have to love Micro Center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 05-05-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So I went by my local Micro Center to look at cases for a desktop build. I've been planning on using a i5-3570K and taking advantage of MC's "$50 off a Z77 motherboard with a 3570K purchase" deal. They're selling the 3570K for $189.99. Would have liked the Intel DZ77BH but it was $175 which was more than I need, so was 'planning on the $119 AsRock Z77 Pro4.

While looking at cases, another customer asked a MC clerk whether he could get the $50 off a Z77 motherboard if he bought an i7-2700K instead of the i5-3570K. The clerk says "yeah, I can do that." So when he got done with that customer, I asked him "can I get the $50 off an Intel H77 motherboard instead of a Z77 if I buy the 3570K." He asked which motherboard I wanted and I said the Intel DH77KC which was on sale for $109.99. So he says "yeah, I can give that to you for $59.99." As you might expect, I said "I'll take it." So I got an i5-3570K and a new H77 Intel motherboard for a grand total of $266 including tax. Newegg and Amazon want $250 just for the cpu and $120 for the motherboard, for a total of $370. That's a heck of a difference.

I don't plan to overclock or use dual graphics cards so the H77 is great for me.

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have a local Micro Center. But I did not know you could "negotiate" the terms of their advertised deals like that.

Still need to get a case and order some SDRAM from Newegg, and I'll be all set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Closest one to me is in Boston and it's a good hour and half away

jealous.

What other parts are you considering?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 27 Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I've got a MicroCenter right down the road from where I work. I can head out at lunch and grab something to eat on the way. Grab what I'm after and I'm back to work as usual.

Great thing about MicroCenter is that I can use the NewEgg app on my phone in the store to scan the barcode and if it is cheaper I can get it matched on the spot. It's a no brainer to get processor and motherboard combos there.

post #4 of 27 Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Liked: 10
Just wish they had mini-ITX motherboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

jealous.

I am about 40 min from the Cambridge Microcenter but it is still not worth the trip there for me for just the deal on a CPU, lol.
post #5 of 27 Old 05-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nice might try to sell off my i7-920 and x58 EVGA MB and grab the i5-3570K/Asus P8Z77-V PRO. If I can get away with only $150 out of pocket i'll do it.
post #6 of 27 Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbh2 View Post

Just wish they had mini-ITX motherboards.

Agreed. No ITX mobos, no "S" or "T" cpus, and one ITX case (the little Antec, not sure if it's the 65w or 150w version that they carry.) Not much help for my ITX HTPC build, but I suspect I will take advantage of their $109.99 i3-2125 price for that build.

They have started carrying a few lower wattage name brand PSUs I've noticed. They used to mostly all be 750-1250w models. The 400w ones were all names you've never heard of. Now my local one stocks the Antec 380 and a couple other ones.

Their market is people wanting to add to their standard home desktops, and people building gaming machines. No htpcs need apply. You'd think with their TV department they could cross promote. I.e., display a couple of HTPCs in with the TVs. Just not enough volume of sales I assume.

Quote:

I am about 40 min from the Cambridge Microcenter but it is still not worth the trip there for me for just the deal on a CPU, lol.

I don't know, when the difference gets to be $110. . . .
post #7 of 27 Old 05-05-2012, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Glad to hear you got a sweet deal! I have a Microcenter that's about 50 minutes away. Since it's not close enough to go on a whim, I make about one trip every 2 months. Definitely worth the trip even just to browse around. The first time I went there I couldn't help but think how it felt like I was walking through newegg's servers. Love it.
post #8 of 27 Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jealous.

What other parts are you considering?

Well, it will have the i5-3570K cpu and Intel DH77KC motherboard.

I have a few parts that have been sitting around for a while waiting for this build including a Plextor M3 128gb SSD and a PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 400w PSU. My data is on a 500gb Samsung hard drive that will simply move to the new machine, and I've got a 1tb Hitachi hard drive that's still in its box (don't even recall buying it; I almost always buy bare drives) and has been sitting on my shelf for at least a year. It will go in as a backup drive for automatic incremental backups of the SSD and data drive. I always just put a backup drive internally in my desktops these days, what with the low price of storage, and it's a lot handier than using externals. Also have a new copy of W7 Pro that I'll finally use.

I think I'm going to get a Corsair Carbide 300R case. Should have gotten it today, but then I saw a Fractal Designs case that I liked and wanted to read about. But I want the USB 3.0 front panel outlets, and the Fractal I was looking at are 2.0, so I'll stick with the Corsair. (I really like the Carbide 400R, but it is just enough bigger in both height and depth to make it a problem for me, so I'll go with the 300R.

Think I'm going to order 2x4gb of GeIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600 ram unless I find something on a good sale in the next few days. Still debating whether to get a Hyper 212 Evo or stick with the stock cooler. The case has a lot of fan mounts, and I'm not overclocking, so I suspect I'll go with the stock cooler. Need to order a couple of 140mm fans for the top and side of the case. Will probably keep the front 140mm fan and replace the rear 120mm with a Scythe Gentle Typhoon.

So that's my current plan, subject to change until built.
post #9 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I grabbed that microcenter deal too: 3570k and Asus P8Z77-V for $340, $110 lower than the newegg price. The cpu said instore pickup (I have one near me) but when I didn't get an option to select a store I called mc and they said both will be shipped to my house also nabbed the Intel 520 180Gb for $150 last week on newegg when it went on sale for a day!!
post #10 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 04:00 PM

yeah microcenter is a godsend. I go there so much I know all the employees. plus if you stay in the Houston area, there is a place call directron. it has everything under the sun. so if microcenter doesn't have what I need. I can go to directron and get the rest.
post #11 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy980 View Post

yeah microcenter is a godsend. I go there so much I know all the employees. plus if you stay in the Houston area, there is a place call directron. it has everything under the sun. so if microcenter doesn't have what I need. I can go to directron and get the rest.

I order from Directron -- great place.

I work about 2.5mi from the Cambridge MicroCenter. I am not it's worth the 45min drive down Memorial Drive . If you know Cambridge you know what I mean .

post #12 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scl23enn4m3 View Post

Glad to hear you got a sweet deal! I have a Microcenter that's about 50 minutes away. Since it's not close enough to go on a whim, I make about one trip every 2 months. Definitely worth the trip even just to browse around. The first time I went there I couldn't help but think how it felt like I was walking through newegg's servers. Love it.

There is one in Yonkers, NY. I'm permanently free of Worstbuy, or the office stores for electronics. Worth a drive.

In Vienna we sit, in late night cafe. Straight Connection, on T.E.E.
post #13 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlaw View Post

There is one in Yonkers, NY. I'm permanently free of Worstbuy, or the office stores for electronics. Worth a drive.

Don't knock Staples. Staples.com will pricematch Amazon and then let you apply coupons. There are always $25 off $100 type of coupons floating around. I recently got a 2TB HDD for $65 from them.

post #14 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

jealous.

Closest one to me is 770 miles ....LOL. Gladly take the hour and half drive.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #15 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Picked up a i5 2500k chip on black friday for $150 at the paterson nj branch. They got the best deal on cpus and mobos imo
post #16 of 27 Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 PM
sur

Quote:

So am I (near 495) but I like to go there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Agreed. No ITX mobos, no "S" or "T" cpus, and one ITX case (the little Antec, not sure if it's the 65w or 150w version that they carry.) Not much help for my ITX HTPC build

Agreed not much ITX support there so I ended up build a micro-ATX htpc. Eventually it came out nice!
PowerSpec mATX case $50
Gigabyte Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard on clearance deal $70
i3 2100 $100
8GM DDR3-1600 $35
SSD 60GB $60
HDD 2TB $130
DVD drive $18

Did all my shopping there knowing that 'some' items MAY be cheaper online but the price difference wouldn't be much so didn't bother.

Amazed at the performance if this system!
post #17 of 27 Old 05-07-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sur View Post

Did all my shopping there knowing that 'some' items MAY be cheaper online but the price difference wouldn't be much so didn't bother.

That's when you use the NewEgg smartphone app. Use the app to scan the barcode in MicroCenter, tell the sells guy that it is cheaper at NewEgg, he prints out the pricematch, then you pay the NewEgg price at checkout.

Worst case is you print it out at home and go back to customer service and get the refund.

post #18 of 27 Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM
sur

I know I could have done all that and shaved off a bit more from the final price. As much as I love shopping online, I would hate to see B&M places like microcenter go away because of too much online competition.

I like to support small guys too The sales guy was pretty good, informed and helpful. It is nice to see fellow enthusiasts roaming the aisle. I also like physically looking at all the components.

All in all good experience.

Just my $0.02
post #19 of 27 Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

That's when you use the NewEgg smartphone app. Use the app to scan the barcode in MicroCenter, tell the sells guy that it is cheaper at NewEgg, he prints out the pricematch, then you pay the NewEgg price at checkout.

Worst case is you print it out at home and go back to customer service and get the refund.

WOW. That is pretty cool.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #20 of 27 Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I love MC too and I love that if I really want to I can just pop over and browse after work when I am down in The People's Republic (Cambridge).

However, I have to say, the Cambridge MC is kind of a dump. I know it's been there forever. I really think they should build one in tax free New Hampshire. It'd be a geek destination resort .

post #21 of 27 Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I love MC too and I love that if I really want to I can just pop over and browse after work when I am down in The People's Republic (Cambridge).

However, I have to say, the Cambridge MC is kind of a dump. I know it's been there forever. I really think they should build one in tax free New Hampshire. It'd be a geek destination resort .

I went into the Cambridge microcenter for the first time very yesterday. Mostly because of this thread.

Never been inside a microcenter before.

I was early for a business appointment in weymouth - and realized it was only 10 minutes from where I was currently. I took a walk through the store just to say I did. lol.

Reminds me of an oldschool circuit city combined with a Newegg. lol.

For a PC geek it's a cool store.

I just wonder how they make any money at retail when you factor in the aging of product effects margins- shrink/theft and paying for a retail storefront with labor and costs associated with a brick and mortar.

I mean PC hardware does not have tons of margin. how they do the super low prices on CPU and make money makes me wonder- or how they do the $50 off motherboards.

Both are great deals for a consumer.

Coolest thing was that you can see all the cases side by side and check them out.

Some of the ugly ones online actually looked good in person and some of the good online looks crappy in person.

But the cases were displayed poorly. Missing accessories and parts- open bays.. etc..

It was cool to see the in person quality of PC cases.

I also realized how excessively large my COSMOS II is. The other big full towers looked small next to it. (probably opposite of your build... lol)

Store was kinda dumpy but with cool products for sale.

-

post #22 of 27 Old 05-10-2012, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Nearest MC from me is 3 hours away near the Detroit area. Not going to drive that distance for such deals, as much as it sucks since the cost of gas will pretty much negate the savings.

I used to go to MC when I lived in Ohio (Cleveland area) and in Houston....gotten alot of good stuff there.
post #23 of 27 Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The MC near me is quite nice. Not dumpy at all. I guess they're all different.
post #24 of 27 Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mine isn't dumpy, but it is well used. There are signs on the shelf in each aisle saying "this area maintained by xxxxx". I guess they told the employees to clean up the mess.

Also, the repair center gets a lot of business at my location. They are the authorized repair centers for HP and others. I haven't been to other MCs, but mine has an Apple store (I don't think it is an official one) and a gaming store. The gaming area seems rather dead.

post #25 of 27 Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have an older MC near me, one of the stores that went up in the 90's. They are okay but not great. No real selection of anything I want as far as computer parts go and they have a horrible layout. The only things I buy there are knick-knacks, tools, the occasional computer part, Blu-Ray cases, and old games that they have in their surplus software section.
post #26 of 27 Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM

There is not a MC in Austin, but we do have a Frys. How does MC compare?
post #27 of 27 Old 05-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Liked: 12
Fry's is great for electronics but I think microcenter is a lot better for computer stuff mainly due to it being just a computer shop. CPUs at microcenter are cheaper than anywhere else I've seen. Usually 20 bucks or so cheaper than newegg or tiger.

Funny that I see this post today cause yesterday was the first time I went to microcenter. I picked up an i5-2500k for 170 and a decent case for 50. They don't seem to have any HTPC cases though.

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page