AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Back again:

http://www.buy.com/prod/q/loc/101/221150373.html

Sold out from original deal

Available from Newegg's eBay site: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crucial-M4-C...99&PID=1225267

At 1:00 PM Pacific time (4:00 PM EDT) the Crucial M4 128GB SSD will be on sale for $99.

http://slickdeals.net/f/4349734-Cruc...AwAAAAAEPEJfJg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the heads up!
post #3 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Damn, I literally just paid $125 for that on Thursday. Not a problem because I needed it ASAP anyway, but still.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #4 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Almost time.

post #5 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I just bought a Kingston 128GB HyperX SSD from Newegg Friday evening for $129.00 with a $30 rebate. I'd have preferred the Crucial M4 with no rebate, but isn't that just how it goes?
post #6 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Got one. Thanks!

[Edit]
Wow! Out of stock already! I am glad I had one in my cart ready to go at 4:00:01!

post #7 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Live and now gone. Glad you got one. I already have enough SSDs for now.

post #8 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Liked: 12
Woohoo, grabbed one too. Thanks for the heads-up.
post #9 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
man i am too late
post #10 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post

man i am too late

There will be more deals. Prices are coming down, not up.

post #11 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Smart move on the part of the SSD manufacturers to scoop up the low-end of the storage spectrum while HDD prices are recovering. I've got a couple of customers who hardly use any storage or that want to move to centralized storage that'll benefit greatly by this downturn in prices. I can build their client/nettop PCs with SSDs without breaking the bank.

post #12 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 10
Great heads up!
post #13 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Damn, I paid more than that for my 64g. I guess I should have waited.
post #14 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well it looks like it isn't dead after all.

Newegg on eBay has them http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crucial-M4-C...99&PID=1225267

post #15 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 239
post #16 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Good price, just a little less then a year ago I paid that same price for the Crucial C300 64gb.
post #17 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Well it looks like it isn't dead after all.

Newegg on eBay has them http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crucial-M4-C...99&PID=1225267

Thanks for the heads up, snagged one on eBay.
post #18 of 49 Old 05-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Nice find. Just picked one up for my Mame PC.
post #19 of 49 Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
It's clear that there is no need to jump on any SSD "special deal" because there will be a better one the next day or the next week.

Today I got emails with the following:

Corsair Force Series 3 180GB $149 after MIR - Newegg 48 hour sale
ADATA S510 120GB with Acronis cloning software $104 free shipping - Newegg 48 hour sale
Kingston HyperX 3K 90GB $79 after MIR free shipping - Newegg 48 hour sale

SanDisk Ultra 120GB $99.99, no rebate required - Micro Center
OCZ Petrol 128GB $79.99 after MIR - Micro Center
OCZ Agility 3 240GB $179.99 after MIR - Micro Center
OCZ Agility 3 120GB $94.99 after MIR - Micro Center

It's obvious that no one should be paying more than $1/gb any more, and is anyone still seriously questioning that 120/128 is the new sweet spot?

It was only about 4 months ago that it was a good deal to get a 64gb for under $100. How about $99 or even $79 for 128gb?

I'm not counting on it, but it also wouldn't surprise me if 256gb drives were getting down to the $100-120 range in three or four months.

I bought several on special several months ago because they looked like deals too good to pass up. A couple of them are still sitting unused. Plainly the best strategy now is to wait until you need it.
post #20 of 49 Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Liked: 13
Ive noticed that a lot of SSD's that go on sale have extremely bad reviews (like the OCZ Petrol), as if the only reason they are going on sale is because theyre being discontinued due to quality issues. Are any of these SSD's actually any good? I dont care how cheap they are, I would never put my data on something that has overwhelmingly negative reviews.
post #21 of 49 Old 05-08-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

Ive noticed that a lot of SSD's that go on sale have extremely bad reviews (like the OCZ Petrol), as if the only reason they are going on sale is because theyre being discontinued due to quality issues. Are any of these SSD's actually any good? I dont care how cheap they are, I would never put my data on something that has overwhelmingly negative reviews.

Well, unless you're scared off by the Sandforce SF-2281 issue, all of those other than the Petrol (which uses an Indilinx controller) should be just fine.

I think all the others are 2281 based units and ought to work about the same as any other 2281 based unit. Speed will vary some by type of memory, but reliability should be about the same. I think there are about a gazillion Agility 3s in circulation.
post #22 of 49 Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Well, unless you're scared off by the Sandforce SF-2281 issue, all of those other than the Petrol (which uses an Indilinx controller) should be just fine.

I think all the others are 2281 based units and ought to work about the same as any other 2281 based unit. Speed will vary some by type of memory, but reliability should be about the same. I think there are about a gazillion Agility 3s in circulation.

Tomshardware and most other review sites I have seen basically agrees with this. Most of the Sandforce drives perform much about the same as another- with the only exception or factor being the type of memory used.

The Agility uses a cheaper memory, which accounts for it's very low everyday price. (I bought one for $48)

Real world though.. it's probably tough to tell much difference between a $59 Agility3 and any other SSD of the same size. This would suggest the value at that price. In fact - some important benchmarks sometimes favor Sandforce based SSD drives over other controllers - The Agility is certainly a solid value. It's price is low and it's performance is not relative to it's price tag.

Above this, OCZ makes the Vertex3 which is supposed to be a step up from Agility but still uses the same controller. The major difference I believe is the memory. Architecturally the Agility 3 is identical to the Vertex 3. You get the same controller running similar firmware, and as a result post similar peak performance stats.

But the Vertex3 does indeed outperform it in benchmarks. If it's not the controller causing this, and it's not the firmware - then it's the NAND. The Agility 3 (and Solid 3) both use asynchronous NAND.

Equipped with asynchronous NAND, the Agility 3's max performance is limited to 50MB/s per channel compared to 200MB/s per channel in the Vertex 3. The Vertex 3 doesn't come close to saturating its per-channel bandwidth so there's a chance that this change won't make much of a difference. To further tilt things in the Agility 3's favor, remember SandForce's controller throws away around 40% of all of your data thanks to its real time compression/deduplication algorithms - further reducing the NAND bandwidth requirements. When a Vertex 3 pushes 500MB/s that's not actual speed to NAND, it's just how fast the SF controller is completing its tasks. In a typical desktop user workload without too much in the way of incompressible data access, the Agility 3 should perform a lot like a Vertex 3.

I have a MAX IOPS Vertex3 which also uses the same controller- but the NAND is different (better)

Not wanting to be completely married to Intel NAND production, OCZ wanted to introduce a version of the Vertex 3 that used 32nm Toshiba Toggle NAND - Rather than call the new drive a Vertex 3 with a slightly different model number, OCZ opted for a more pronounced suffix: MAX IOPS.

Like the regular Vertex 3, the Vertex 3 MAX IOPS drive is available in 120GB and 240GB configurations. These drives have 128GB and 256GB of NAND, respectively, with just under 13% of the NAND set aside for use as a combination of redundant and spare area.

The largest NAND die you could ship at 32/34nm was 4GB - the move to 25nm brought us 8GB die. What this means is that for a given capacity, the MAX IOPS edition will have twice as many MLC NAND die under the hood.

In terms of performance and SSD hierarchy it looks something like this:

#1. Top shelf = second-gen SandForce SSDs with Toggle NAND

#2. Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB and second-gen SandForce SSDs with Sync ONFi NAND

#3. Crucial m4 256 GB and OCZ Vertex 4 (not Sandforce controllers)

#4. second-gen SandForce SSDs with Async ONFi NAND (like Agility3)

Crucial M4's remain a good option for anyone that does not want a Sandforce controller in their SSD Drive. They perform well and sell for low street prices.

If your concerned with budget first- the Agility series probably performs real world very similar for a slightly lower price.

If your concerned with performance and also budget a Sandforce with Sync NAND is probably as cheap or cheaper than a Crucial M4 and a bit quicker. Real world it's not significant probably, but technically it's true.

If your not really concerned with budget as much as performance- Look for Toggle NAND and Sandforce second gen controllers. These drives are among the fastest drives available today in any given GB size segment.

Last note: I believe many of these Crucial M4's were purchased to be resold via Amazon and Ebay. I noticed the reduction in prices there- as well as more sellers. No doubt the $99 newegg offered was probably a bit under the normal wholesale price for these models.

I am not sure how many they offered though. It's possible they only had like 25 available at that price- and just wanted to spike some traffic on the site.

They came back in stock quickly afterwards- so it's not like NewEgg sold out of stock. I mean you can buy one right now for $125.

I think they limit how many per special sale price to limit losses.

It's a good value. No doubt people jump on it. The 120GB Vertex3 was also $99 recently and I tried to grab one and apply my customer appreciation 15% but the damn sale also went out of stock before I could jump on it. I would have loved a $85 120GB Vertex3

One thing is for sure though.. seems like SSD's are coming down in price. I like that.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #23 of 49 Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Why do you constantly compare and tout ssd "performance" between different ssds? It really doesn't matter for htpc. Any ssd is good.
post #24 of 49 Old 05-10-2012, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Why do you constantly compare and tout ssd "performance" between different ssds? It really doesn't matter for htpc. Any ssd is good.

If it wasn't for wanting better performance we could all get by with regular 5,400k HDD for our HTPCs.

post #25 of 49 Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

If it wasn't for wanting better performance we could all get by with regular 5,400k HDD for our HTPCs.

What does that have to do with my statement?

There is little tangible performance difference in quality ssd A vs quality ssd B when you are using them for htpc.
post #26 of 49 Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What does that have to do with my statement?

There is little tangible performance difference in quality ssd A vs quality ssd B when you are using them for htpc.

Don't you worry about the difference between CAS8 and CAS9 sdram too?
post #27 of 49 Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Your reading too much into my post.

It was more expanding on what Zon2020 said.

I was suggesting nothing as purchase decisions go- and claiming that no SSD was superior.

I just used the examples of highend, midrange and low end to actually explain that any SSD is good- but there is a reason why one cost $60, another $120 and yet another $240.

Zon2020 originally made a comment about a cheap Agility SSD so I basically used that as the basis. It's under $50 on sale today.

I actually tried to remain as unbiased as possible.

I think because you favor the Crucial and also know that I think the Crucial is junk your thinking I actually said that- But I did not. I held my breath. I said it's a good choice for anyone that does not want a Sandforce based SSD. I also said there is little real world difference.

We are on the same page here.

I think perhaps because you favor the Crucial M4 and it's not considered a top tier performer it just bothers you to see that posted or talked about. Your always quick to dismiss any performance advantage over an M4 as insignificant. While technically it's true in terms of a pure and basic HTPC- it's not universal across the board for all people/systems. I agree that a basic HTPC would see no real world difference of any significance from one SSD to another within a given price point or tier. We agree on that. But a performance difference does exist- and it's really no different than someone spending up on faster/better DDR3 RAM, a faster CPU, or a motherboard with better performance. While you don't need a quad core CPU I see people do that all the time too. SSD buying decision is really no different. So while I agree for an ordinary user with an ordinary HTPC only doing HTPC basic stuff the difference is not significant from most SSD's- There might still be a reason someone chooses a faster one- or one with a better reputation for quality- warranty- performance- speed- price... There is many factors that influence buying decisions.

I don't regret spending up on a Toggle NAND SSD for my main PC. My HTPC uses Sync, and my server is on Async. So I actually have all three levels of SSD in operation- and all three were chosen for the price/performance ratio they offer for each application. My main PC I want the Speed. My HTPC I want speed, but at the $99 pricepoint, not $200 for Toggle NAND. And my server I viewed as as least priority and used a $50 SSD.

My entire post was simply an expansion of the Zon2020 quote. The only two points I was making are 1. Any SSD is pretty decent. 2. While any SSD is decent, there is a reason why one costs more than another inside.

Surprised this warranted your comment actually. I never claimed the performance difference was important or "touted" it as if it matter in a traditional HTPC application.

Quote:

Any ssd is good.

So then do you think an Agility 3 for $48-$59 is a better choice than a Crucial M4 for $100-$120 ? I bet you would still grab a $99 M4 even though it costs more. Right? That's because your statement is not 100% true and other factors are included in buying decisions. While it's a great drive for $50, it's a totally low end drive. Personally I would never run one in my main machine as the performance is too low. But I run it in my server. So while any SSD is good... it's still more complicated.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #28 of 49 Old 05-11-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't "favor" the Crucial. I like Crucial and so do many many others as witnessed by the 5 minutes it took for a sell out. Also the Crucial is regarded by many on AVS and many many other sites as having an outstanding track record for reliability --- which I would argue is incredibly more important than benchmarking or performance statistics that you like to reference.

I still don't understand why you view Crucial as "junk". Seems about as legitimate as people ripping on OCZ as "junk" which you are quick to dismiss (but then even quicker to point out how OCZ has the best "performance" of all SSDs).

So in a way what you do and say about Crucial SSDs is exactly what you reprimand people on AVS when they say something disparaging about OCZ.
post #29 of 49 Old 05-11-2012, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

So then do you think an Agility 3 for $48-$59 is a better choice than a Crucial M4 for $100-$120 ? I bet you would still grab a $99 M4 even though it costs more. Right? That's because your statement is not 100% true and other factors are included in buying decisions. While it's a great drive for $50, it's a totally low end drive. Personally I would never run one in my main machine as the performance is too low. But I run it in my server. So while any SSD is good... it's still more complicated.

Where was there an Agility3 128GB for $48?
post #30 of 49 Old 05-11-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't "favor" the Crucial. I like Crucial and so do many many others as witnessed by the 5 minutes it took for a sell out. Also the Crucial is regarded by many on AVS and many many other sites as having an outstanding track record for reliability --- which I would argue is incredibly more important than benchmarking or performance statistics that you like to reference.

I still don't understand why you view Crucial as "junk". Seems about as legitimate as people ripping on OCZ as "junk" which you are quick to dismiss (but then even quicker to point out how OCZ has the best "performance" of all SSDs).

So in a way what you do and say about Crucial SSDs is exactly what you reprimand people on AVS when they say something disparaging about OCZ.

No I bit my tongue and try to temper myself.

Your 100% right. Just because I had an issue with Crucial and dislike it- does not mean it's universal across the board.

I realize there is good and bad luck with any product.

It does bother me when people do that so I should take your comments and refrain myself.

Your right.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page