Buy Windows 7 now or wait for Windows 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
sur
Member
 
sur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Win7 Pro legit disc from Microsoft which I bought and installed on my main PC. I got it through a friend who works for MS with the employee discount. He told me that MS usually won't care if you use it personally on about 3 machines.

I think I used it on my brother's laptop as well and maybe another friend.

Now I built a new HTPC and installed the same thing but the activation failed. Wondering what to do now. Should I buy another Win7 but with Win8 almost there I feel like I can upgrade my old machine with that as well.

But MCE is not yet confirmed for Win8.

Any suggestions? Should I try calling MS and explain the situation - hopefully they will activate the current system

Or should I go head long with Win8 preview!
sur is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 51 Old 05-07-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kegobeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Panama City Beach, FL
Posts: 1,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regardless of what your friend told you, you can install Windows on one computer. Microsoft does care - if they didn't, they would allow multiple installations. The only way you can do it is if you have the family pack, which allows installs on up to 3 machines.

Your activation failed because that key has been used on more than one computer simultaneously. You need to uninstall Windows from every other computer, then call MS and ask them to reset your key.

Microsoft has explained which versions of 8 will get Media Center.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/m...rade-path-dol/

The complete rundown is available on the Microsoft blog.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b...-editions.aspx
kegobeer is offline  
post #3 of 51 Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 PM
 
cybrsage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 8,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Buy Win 7, Win 8 will be highly gimped wrt WMC.

Like kegobeer said, your friend is wrong, one license means one machine.
cybrsage is offline  
post #4 of 51 Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lespurgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: California
Posts: 2,455
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Win 7. See if you friend can get you another at employee price. I think that there is a family pack good for 3 machines, if you want to load up multiple copies, see if he can get you that one.
lespurgeon is offline  
post #5 of 51 Old 05-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Newbie
 
yoheidiho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespurgeon View Post

win 7. See if you friend can get you another at employee price. I think that there is a family pack good for 3 machines, if you want to load up multiple copies, see if he can get you that one.

x2
yoheidiho is offline  
post #6 of 51 Old 05-08-2012, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
BobSalita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CHI, CLD, PAR, PHX, PDX, NKC, AUK, MEL, SYD, BUE, SCL
Posts: 936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Win 7 now, If you can wait, install next month's Win 8 Beta release. I've installed Win 8 CP on all my computers. WiFi is slow to connect on the Dell 15z. Another, Sony VAIO VPCS11, had a problem with a permanent dim screen (light sensor incompatibility).

Former Top 1000 Amazon reviewer bemoaning the loss of objective user reviews. Amazon, stop your complacency!
BobSalita is offline  
post #7 of 51 Old 05-08-2012, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 3,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 121
WRT Media Center, so far I'm not seeing any compelling reason to wait for Windows 8, let alone buy it and install it for Media Center use. Windows 7 already supports cablecard tuners and will likely do most everything MC in Win 8 will do.

In other words, stick with Win 7. Microsoft is doing their best to alienate the Media Center crowd and appears to have little or no interest in supporting us in the future.
captain_video is offline  
post #8 of 51 Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
sur
Member
 
sur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input guys!

I will buy another copy of Win 7.
sur is offline  
post #9 of 51 Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hdtv00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ill
Posts: 1,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea clearly not win 8. THey're removing WMC and charging extra as an entire separate download for a fee. Um Big FU to M$.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000
 

hdtv00 is offline  
post #10 of 51 Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Member
 
josrq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...REG&sku=645759

This is a decent deal on the family pack of Win7 HP Upgrade, do the custom install option for a clean install.
josrq is offline  
post #11 of 51 Old 05-09-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sound dropouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would suggest waiting for Win8 only if you do not use WMC. I think that xbmc for windows 8 will be phenomenal, once they integrate it with Metro. Metro is great for remote control. Imagine cleanly switching from xbmc to playing a computer game on xbox live all using a remote and/or gaming controller without ever seeing a desktop.
sound dropouts is offline  
post #12 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 03:00 AM
Member
 
Dimethios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would NOT get Win 8 until at least the first SP1 comes out. However I wonder if my every other OS being bad theory will hold up.

Win 3.11 - Good for the time
Win 95 - Bad
Win 98 Sp2 - Great OS
Win ME - Terrible
Win XP Sp1 - Great OS
Win Vista - Ok, but memory hog & too buggy
Win 7 SP1 -Very nice OS
Win 8 - ?

It seems to me every other OS for them is the guinea pig/test bunny for the next OS, and i'm not willing to use that OS on a critical machine.
Dimethios is offline  
post #13 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Artslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
IMO Windows 8 is just a transition to the next real finished OS whatever it will be called. Unless you buy one of the new tablets which will have 8 I'd skip this release.
Artslinger is offline  
post #14 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ctviggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

I would suggest waiting for Win8 only if you do not use WMC. I think that xbmc for windows 8 will be phenomenal, once they integrate it with Metro. Metro is great for remote control. Imagine cleanly switching from xbmc to playing a computer game on xbox live all using a remote and/or gaming controller without ever seeing a desktop.

I've been thinking of transitioning to XBMC, but will it support cable cards/HD Homerun Prime?

Bob
ctviggen is offline  
post #15 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
assassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 12,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post

I've been thinking of transitioning to XBMC, but will it support cable cards/HD Homerun Prime?

Unfortunately no.
assassin is offline  
post #16 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ctviggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Bummer. I guess I'm stuck with WMC, unless I want to go to MythTV and XBMC, but I'm not sure I can convince the wife to do that (not to mention that I use one of my HT computers as a dual purpose computer, HT or work/home).

Bob
ctviggen is offline  
post #17 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Senior Member
 
ericbsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethios View Post

Win 3.11 - Good for the time
Win 95 - Bad
Win 98 Sp2 - Great OS
Win ME - Terrible
Win XP Sp1 - Great OS
Win Vista - Ok, but memory hog & too buggy
Win 7 SP1 -Very nice OS
Win 8 - ?

It seems to me every other OS for them is the guinea pig/test bunny for the next OS, and i'm not willing to use that OS on a critical machine.

While your theory sounds nice, all wrapped up in a bow like that, you managed to leave out several major OS revision releases, and completely left out Win NT/2k (which were decent OSes in their own right). While Win95A had major issues, by Win95C the OS had become a reasonably stable and useful OS. The chief issue here was that there was no upgrade path from Win95A to Win95C. Win98, OTOH, wasn't particularly well accepted until Win98 SE came out (were you mistakenly calling "Win98 Second Edition" "Win98 SP 2"?). WinME, while not great, was not horrible. It just didn't really have anything going for it that put it out ahead of Win98SE. Meanwhile, WinXP had many issues when it was first released. Until SP1 was released many people were on the fence about it, but from SP1 on through SP3 it had become a very stable and reliable OS. In fact, every OS up through this point eventually reached a point of maturity which gave it a useful stability and made it a worthwhile OS.

Then you get to Vista. Universally lambasted since it was released, what makes it truly unique is that no amount of tweaking or Service Pack releases has been able to remove the problems from this OS. Vista was just a memory hog at a time when memory was still at a premium, which was unforgivable. It has "features" nobody wanted, and it's new driver architecture meant that much older hardware simply stopped working making it an upgraders nightmare. Even as RAM got cheap enough, you still had issues as laptops and netbooks got smaller with less powerful processors and limited amounts of RAM, which made Vista unusable on them.

It took a completely redesigned approach, in the form of Win7, to correct some of the fundamental flaws of the Vista OS. And unique in Win7 is that it was almost universally accepted as a great OS almost instantly. Whether that was because it was a great OS or because people were burned out from Vista is hard to tell -- personally I think it was a little of both. Certainly the release of Vista helped Win7, as the drivers were reaching a point of maturity by the time Win7 was released, meaning the backwards compatibility with older hardware has mostly ceased to be an issue. Win7 is still more of a memory hog than WinXP; the difference is that Win7 came out at a point in time when the hardware could handle it, unlike Vista which was "ahead" of it's time.

Given that Microsoft appears to have learned their lesson with Vista I wouldn't count Win8 out yet. That's not to say that Win8 won't have some flaws, chief among them in importance, at least for this forum, is the removal of WMC. I just don't think that taking a flawed look at past OS releases and using that to predict how Win8 will handle is a good method of predicting anything.

--
Eric B. Smith
The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.
ericbsmith is online now  
post #18 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Member
 
b0gus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Microsoft Technet subscription.

I think it's past time to upgrade my equipment and my room.
b0gus is offline  
post #19 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 1,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post


Originally Posted by ctviggen
I've been thinking of transitioning to XBMC, but will it support cable cards/HD Homerun Prime?


Unfortunately no.

Are there other software choices for pc cable card tuners, far as record/playback?

Cheers, Tp

"No lawsuit ever fixed a moron."
Teeps is offline  
post #20 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Zon2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post

While your theory sounds nice, all wrapped up in a bow like that, you managed to leave out several major OS revision releases, and completely left out Win NT/2k (which were decent OSes in their own right). While Win95A had major issues, by Win95C the OS had become a reasonably stable and useful OS. The chief issue here was that there was no upgrade path from Win95A to Win95C. Win98, OTOH, wasn't particularly well accepted until Win98 SE came out (were you mistakenly calling "Win98 Second Edition" "Win98 SP 2"?). WinME, while not great, was not horrible. It just didn't really have anything going for it that put it out ahead of Win98SE. Meanwhile, WinXP had many issues when it was first released. Until SP1 was released many people were on the fence about it, but from SP1 on through SP3 it had become a very stable and reliable OS. In fact, every OS up through this point eventually reached a point of maturity which gave it a useful stability and made it a worthwhile OS.

Then you get to Vista. Universally lambasted since it was released, what makes it truly unique is that no amount of tweaking or Service Pack releases has been able to remove the problems from this OS. Vista was just a memory hog at a time when memory was still at a premium, which was unforgivable. It has "features" nobody wanted, and it's new driver architecture meant that much older hardware simply stopped working making it an upgraders nightmare. Even as RAM got cheap enough, you still had issues as laptops and netbooks got smaller with less powerful processors and limited amounts of RAM, which made Vista unusable on them.

It took a completely redesigned approach, in the form of Win7, to correct some of the fundamental flaws of the Vista OS. And unique in Win7 is that it was almost universally accepted as a great OS almost instantly. Whether that was because it was a great OS or because people were burned out from Vista is hard to tell -- personally I think it was a little of both. Certainly the release of Vista helped Win7, as the drivers were reaching a point of maturity by the time Win7 was released, meaning the backwards compatibility with older hardware has mostly ceased to be an issue. Win7 is still more of a memory hog than WinXP; the difference is that Win7 came out at a point in time when the hardware could handle it, unlike Vista which was "ahead" of it's time.

Given that Microsoft appears to have learned their lesson with Vista I wouldn't count Win8 out yet. That's not to say that Win8 won't have some flaws, chief among them in importance, at least for this forum, is the removal of WMC. I just don't think that taking a flawed look at past OS releases and using that to predict how Win8 will handle is a good method of predicting anything.

The theory that you were responding to also ignored that prior to Vista there were also two entirely separate products - NT/2000 (and everything since Vista) based on the true 32 bit NT kernal, and all the 9x, ME etc that are based on 16 bit kernal that is actually based on MS-DOS. In no sense are NT, 2000, Vista or 7 versions or upgrades from 9x, and indeed for a long time 9x and NT were sold in parralel, NT for business (and especially Pentium Pro based machines) and 9x for consumers.
Zon2020 is offline  
post #21 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kegobeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Panama City Beach, FL
Posts: 1,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post

Are there other software choices for pc cable card tuners, far as record/playback?

No. If you want to use a cablecard tuner, you are stuck with with WMC.
kegobeer is offline  
post #22 of 51 Old 05-12-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jeffkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post

While your theory sounds nice, all wrapped up in a bow like that, you managed to leave out several major OS revision releases, and completely left out Win NT/2k (which were decent OSes in their own right). While Win95A had major issues, by Win95C the OS had become a reasonably stable and useful OS. The chief issue here was that there was no upgrade path from Win95A to Win95C. Win98, OTOH, wasn't particularly well accepted until Win98 SE came out (were you mistakenly calling "Win98 Second Edition" "Win98 SP 2"?). WinME, while not great, was not horrible. It just didn't really have anything going for it that put it out ahead of Win98SE. Meanwhile, WinXP had many issues when it was first released. Until SP1 was released many people were on the fence about it, but from SP1 on through SP3 it had become a very stable and reliable OS. In fact, every OS up through this point eventually reached a point of maturity which gave it a useful stability and made it a worthwhile OS.

Then you get to Vista. Universally lambasted since it was released, what makes it truly unique is that no amount of tweaking or Service Pack releases has been able to remove the problems from this OS. Vista was just a memory hog at a time when memory was still at a premium, which was unforgivable. It has "features" nobody wanted, and it's new driver architecture meant that much older hardware simply stopped working making it an upgraders nightmare. Even as RAM got cheap enough, you still had issues as laptops and netbooks got smaller with less powerful processors and limited amounts of RAM, which made Vista unusable on them.

It took a completely redesigned approach, in the form of Win7, to correct some of the fundamental flaws of the Vista OS. And unique in Win7 is that it was almost universally accepted as a great OS almost instantly. Whether that was because it was a great OS or because people were burned out from Vista is hard to tell -- personally I think it was a little of both. Certainly the release of Vista helped Win7, as the drivers were reaching a point of maturity by the time Win7 was released, meaning the backwards compatibility with older hardware has mostly ceased to be an issue. Win7 is still more of a memory hog than WinXP; the difference is that Win7 came out at a point in time when the hardware could handle it, unlike Vista which was "ahead" of it's time.

Given that Microsoft appears to have learned their lesson with Vista I wouldn't count Win8 out yet. That's not to say that Win8 won't have some flaws, chief among them in importance, at least for this forum, is the removal of WMC. I just don't think that taking a flawed look at past OS releases and using that to predict how Win8 will handle is a good method of predicting anything.

Yes win2000 was awesome
jeffkro is offline  
post #23 of 51 Old 05-13-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 21,878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by sur View Post

Thanks for the input guys!

I will buy another copy of Win 7.

This is the wrong move.

As is most of the advice in this forum regarding how many installations you can do- and also buying another disc.

Just call microsoft and explain your keycode no longer works.

Tell them you own the disc and it's legit. They will give you new Key code over the phone.

most of the time they do it for free for me.

But if they do charge- it's way less than another windows disc. You certainly don't need another disc for extra $$$$$

The ISO is available online even if you lose it.

Just buy the license on a reduced price direct from MS over the phone.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #24 of 51 Old 05-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
flocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Agreed ....

I don't think it would be a good idea to move to Droid 8 for htpc .

Like mfusick states and I concur .... just get another license from MS and move on .
flocko is offline  
post #25 of 51 Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
sur
Member
 
sur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good advice!
I will call MS and see what they have to offer
sur is offline  
post #26 of 51 Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Mfusick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western MA
Posts: 21,878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by sur View Post

Good advice!
I will call MS and see what they have to offer

If you pretend you own it and just lost your code--- they give you a new one.



Free.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Mfusick is online now  
post #27 of 51 Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Member
 
Dimethios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry Mr. Gates err um I mean ericB, I didn't want to bore the death out of the guy just trying to give my opinion.. But if you really want to get into a pissing match about how many VERSIONS there are...



The guy wanted to know if he should use Win 8, I don't really think he give a rats ass about a Nerdy discussion over countless windows versions, I just gave him my opinion, the only mistake I should have said is because with most OS from MS they tend to be buggy at launch and don't normally get refined until at least the 1st SP or maybe even the 2nd sp if ever. So yes I do believe that my "flawed look at past OS releases and using that to predict how Win8 will handle is a good method of predicting anything." Well it does predict a big waste of money in my opinion. and if it is not going to support MCE at launch (we don't know yet) which the original poster is wanting, he might as well wait and just get a new key for his Win7.
Dimethios is offline  
post #28 of 51 Old 05-14-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nevcairiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Fact is, Win98 SE was no real service pack, because you couldn't upgrade your Win98 SP1 seamlessly like with any other service packs before or after. Its more of a full OS upgrade then a service pack.

If Win98SE was just a service pack, why would it have its own blob on your version graph there? No other service pack has that.
Nevcairiel is offline  
post #29 of 51 Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 AM
Senior Member
 
ericbsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethios View Post

Sorry Mr. Gates err um I mean ericB, I didn't want to bore the death out of the guy just trying to give my opinion.. But if you really want to get into a pissing match about how many VERSIONS there are...

Then why'd you start out with a discussion of past windows versions at all? I mean, yeah, it's a great joke, but it's nothing to base a decision on, so why even bring it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethios View Post

I just gave him my opinion, the only mistake I should have said is because with most OS from MS they tend to be buggy at launch and don't normally get refined until at least the 1st SP or maybe even the 2nd sp if ever.

Then why didn't you just say that? At least I could have pointed out that this was not the case with Windows 7, which was both stable and relatively trouble free from the get-go. The only thing that the first Service Pack really added was packaging all the security updates into a single download/install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethios View Post

and if it is not going to support MCE at launch (we don't know yet) which the original poster is wanting, he might as well wait and just get a new key for his Win7.

And that may be the one relevant thing you've actually said. If they're removing MCE from Win8, and the original poster wants it, and the upgrade to MCE is going to cost more than a couple bucks then he really should consider getting another Win7 License Key.

--
Eric B. Smith
The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.
ericbsmith is online now  
post #30 of 51 Old 05-15-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zon2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethios View Post

So yes I do believe that my "flawed look at past OS releases and using that to predict how Win8 will handle is a good method of predicting anything."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post

At least I could have pointed out that this was not the case with Windows 7, which was both stable and relatively trouble free from the get-go. The only thing that the first Service Pack really added was packaging all the security updates into a single download/install.

Actually, if you ignore all the DOS-based versions, which in fact died with ME and are completely irrelevant to any current discussion, Vista was the only new release that was truly a problem, and that problem was mostly that it was bloated and lacked adequate driver support at the time of release, not really that it was excessively buggy. The NT family has been remarkably stable and succesful.

It's really not surprising that the DOS family were a mess. They were attempting to maintain compatibility with old 8-bit hardware and software while introducing a new form of OS and trying to increase the data path and performance. They didn't operate with essentially a clean slate the way apple did. So they ended up with endless compromises and patch over patch over patch. The marriage often didn't really work very well. But the root cause of most of the issues was that effort to maintain backward compatibility.

Where they were able with NT to largely ignore the legacy junk and write for the future, they built a really strong, stable platform.

Windows 7 was a terrific OS right out of the box on day 1. There's no reason to think 8 won't be stable either, and referring back to the history of Windows 2 and 3 and 9x as any predictor of how W8 is likely to be is completely misplaced.

Now, IF you rely on WMC and IF it's not going to be available in 8, that will be a big issue for some people. But that doesn't even include everyone on this forum, and in the entire Windows-using population, it's a really small share of people.

On the other hand, W7 is such a good OS that there is little motivation to upgrade unless and until it becomes apparent there is some huge benefit from doing so. I expect more likely for me, I will probably not upgrade current machines, but will start using 8 on new ones. I don't think I ever upgraded a machine from XP to Vista because I didn't see the benefit; but I did upgrade machines from Vista to 7 because I thought correctly it would be an improvement.
Zon2020 is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off