Worth upgrading to anything at this point? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current HTPC:

Home Built HTPC Silverstone SST-GD05B Case Silverstone 400w PSU Intel DG43GT MB E8400 Core2Duo 3.0 Ghz 8GB DDR2 PC6400 RAM 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD OS 2TB WD Green HD recordings LG BH10LS30 10x Blu-ray r/w ATI Radeon 5570 2xHauppauge 2250 dual tuner (4 tuners total) RCA ANT751 OTA antenna Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Used mostly for WMC recording and playing back OTA tv, streaming TV (Hulu, etc), and ripped DVD/bluray. I leave it on 24/7.

About the only things on my current system I wonder if it could be better would be using an i3 with integrated graphics and lower power CPU to save power and possibly heat/fan noise. also, the 29/59 bug occasionally.

Anyone go from something similar to mine and notice a difference or not? Worthwhile upgrading?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulman1 View Post

My current HTPC:

Home Built HTPC Silverstone SST-GD05B Case Silverstone 400w PSU Intel DG43GT MB E8400 Core2Duo 3.0 Ghz 8GB DDR2 PC6400 RAM 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD OS 2TB WD Green HD recordings LG BH10LS30 10x Blu-ray r/w ATI Radeon 5570 2xHauppauge 2250 dual tuner (4 tuners total) RCA ANT751 OTA antenna Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Used mostly for WMC recording and playing back OTA tv, streaming TV (Hulu, etc), and ripped DVD/bluray. I leave it on 24/7.

About the only things on my current system I wonder if it could be better would be using an i3 with integrated graphics and lower power CPU to save power and possibly heat/fan noise. also, the 29/59 bug occasionally.

Anyone go from something similar to mine and notice a difference or not? Worthwhile upgrading?

I have one HTPC with an E8400 and another with an i3-2400S. Now that both have SSDs, there isn't exactly a big difference in speed between them for HTPC use. Are you noticing any slowdown? Even if the i3 uses less power, I don't think you'd be saving yourself any money in the near future by buying a new mobo, CPU, and ram.

To lower the noise you can always try a different CPU cooler.

Pragmatically, I'd say stick with what you have, but it's always fun to upgrade right?

Edit: Doh, I just remembered the E8400 is in my server and the E5200 is in my HTPC. The differences between the E8400 and an i3 for HTPC use will be marginal, and I still think it would take a while to recuperate the cost of the upgrade in power savings. I haven't done the math myself though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page