Assassin Server Project - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Question on reasoning behind Z77 + G620. Isn't the Z77 overkill for a G620 since you can't use the Z77 abilities? Would a Z68 make more sense given it's $20 cheaper?

I mean DDR3 @3000mhz is always cool with me, as is 5ghz+ CPU Overclocks- but with a G620 neither of those are going to happen. And it's nonsensical to even try in a server. So wondering why the Z77?

For ability to upgrade later with a yet to be released IVY?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I noticed you used slot b1 and b2 for memory ???

Or A2 + B2?

Usually the manual for Asus reccomends first and third slot?? Any particular reason you used 2 and 4 ?

No, that would be incorrect.

post #33 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Yeah, this thing needs a SSD for the OS

+1.

lol.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #34 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Question on reasoning behind Z77 + G620. Isn't the Z77 overkill for a G620 since you can't use the Z77 abilities? Would a Z68 make more sense given it's $20 cheaper?

I mean DDR3 @3000mhz is always cool with me, as is 5ghz+ CPU Overclocks- but with a G620 neither of those are going to happen. And it's nonsensical to even try in a server. So wondering why the Z77?

For ability to upgrade later with a yet to be released IVY?

Z77 has onboard Intel NIC and 8 SATA ports.

So no, a Z68 wouldn't make more sense for this particular build for this particular user.
post #35 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

No, that would be incorrect.

It looks like for single channel you would.

But the dual channel it looks like 1 and 3 in pic.

Hard to tell though.

-

post #36 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It looks like for single channel you would.

But the dual channel it looks like 1 and 3 in pic.

Hard to tell though.

You need to have your eyes checked.
post #37 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Z77 has onboard Intel NIC and 8 SATA ports.

So no, a Z68 wouldn't make more sense for this particular build for this particular user.

Got it. Logical answer to question thanks. I only asked cause I am too looking for a server board in the future.

And- I too was considering Z77 but wondering if the extra Z77 offers is worth it.

Intel LAN is definetly something I want too. The SATA many others have that- including much cheaper boards.

But the INTEL LAN is a good reason.

-

post #38 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Got it. Logical answer to question thanks. I only asked cause I am too looking for a server board in the future.

And- I too was considering Z77 but wondering if the extra Z77 offers is worth it.

Intel LAN is definetly something I want too. The SATA many others have that- including much cheaper boards.

But the INTEL LAN is a good reason.

It has some other nice perks as well.
post #39 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You need to have your eyes checked.

You made me second guess my last couple builds and also gave me a laugh.

I checked my main machine like an idiot and realized I have 4 slots filled each with 4GB sticks and I am a fool for even looking. One second of thought I should have realized that.

Then I checked my server and laughed as it only has 2 dimm slots. Again waste of time.

Next up- The HTPC. lol... Probably not work checking.

Side question and related:

Would it actually matter?

I mean slots 1+3 or 2+4 ? Both would be dual channel correct?

Quote:

It has some other nice perks as well.

I am very familiar with the Asus Z77 line up. Just wondering if you knew something I did not or had a specific reason.

I too am interested in this board and the related models near it in the lineup.

Wondering if you planned to do something cool with the DLNA or dual wifi as media steaming- or the asus Mediashare- or dual lan.

Also- (Z77) it's a solid choice for anyone that might consider an IVY upgrade at some point. It's logical to think they could be faster and more power efficient at a low cost in future.

-

post #40 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Wow , this thing is way to pretty to put into service ."Just set it on a shelf and look at it " .

j/k... j/k

Nice work man , NICE
post #41 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You made me second guess my last couple builds and also gave me a laugh.

I checked my main machine like an idiot and realized I have 4 slots filled each with 4GB sticks and I am a fool for even looking. One second of thought I should have realized that.

Then I checked my server and laughed as it only has 2 dimm slots. Again waste of time.

Next up- The HTPC. lol... Probably not work checking.

Side question and related:

Would it actually matter?

I mean slots 1+3 or 2+4 ? Both would be dual channel correct?

I am very familiar with the Asus Z77 line up. Just wondering if you knew something I did not or had a specific reason.

I too am interested in this board and the related models near it in the lineup.

Wondering if you planned to do something cool with the DLNA or dual wifi as media steaming- or the asus Mediashare- or dual lan.

Also- (Z77) it's a solid choice for anyone that might consider an IVY upgrade at some point. It's logical to think they could be faster and more power efficient at a low cost in future.

Just asking . I know ur not talking to me but wifi for media streaming ?? Really . Will or would that be reliable . Now the dual lan on the other hand .. oh ya
post #42 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

Just asking . I know ur not talking to me but wifi for media streaming ?? Really . Will or would that be reliable . Now the dual lan on the other hand .. oh ya

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...55/P8Z77V_PRO/
ASUS Exclusive Features

Wi-Fi GO!
It’s a Home Theater, Extra Router and Even Acts a Portable PC on Your Tablet
ASUS Wi-Fi GO! makes enjoying home entertainment easier than ever! Exclusive Wi-Fi functions provide DLNA streaming so you can enjoy a home theater PC, while also providing remote access to your PC with a smart device. ASUS Wi-Fi GO! leads the market by integrating Wi-Fi connectivity, DLNA access and all smart devices with a one-stop utility for a futuristic connected lifestyle.

Wi-Fi hotspot setup for convenience:quickly set up and connect anywhere at home thanks to instant soft access point and device detection. Build your network without an extra router!

Turn smartphones and tablets into a remote control:
Remote Desktop: access your PC from a tablet? No sweat! Control your PC in real-time from a mobile device for complete comfort. This function brings notebook-like convenience, by creating a virtual remote desktop, offering portable access to your data in desktop with a smartphone or pad.
Motion control your PC: entertaining and customizable! Using natural gestures, you can move directionally to use applications with a smartphone or tablet’s motion sensors. For example, in media players you can fast forward, go next, stop, or create a music playing motion control profile. You can even program sensor scenarios to design your own motion-based game!
Remote keyboard and mouse: sit back and control your computer by using your tablet’s built-in QWERTY keyboard to type and click !
(Ensure to download Wi-Fi GO! Remote to your smart devices either from Android Market or App store.)

DLNA streaming made easy:enjoy HD content, music and photos from the PC on your DLNA devices via Wi-Fi connectivity, the perfect match for creating your own home theater!

Easy file and screenshot transfers:
File Transfer: send and share files between your PC and smart devices* with only a right click on the mouse.
Capture & Send: capture and send screen shots from your PC to smart devices directly by pressing the hotkey**

Network iControl
Real-time Network Bandwidth Control
With a single-click on/off button, the application currently in use has its data and network bandwidth prioritized over other programs. Moreover, you can prioritize your favorite software easily by configuring profiles through the intuitive user interface. Within the profile, programs can be pre-scheduled to run in a specific time period to avoid network congestion and long-waits on downloads. Auto PPPoE network connection provides a one-step setup for enhanced online convenience. Overall, it's an intuitive network bandwidth control center.

Quote:

I know ur not talking to me but wifi for media streaming ?? Really?

Yes.

-

post #43 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks man . Looks like I could stand to do some reading

Point taken
post #44 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks man . Looks like I could stand to do some reading

Point taken

Lol. I meant it more of a type post than a "talking down" type.

I am more far excited about the features of the Asus Z77's than making my point for sake of seeming smart. I am not smart at all.. lol.

Just want to clarify. I did not expect you to know about it- nor others. It's pretty new stuff and also higher end / complicated. It's beyond normal HTPC levels you see here everyday with $100 or less motherboards.

I am more looking to shock with the "cool factor" than anything.

Hope your not offended. Not my intention at all.

back at topic:

I was wondering if this board was choosen for some of this stuff. Or if the board was just chosen cause it is good- but this stuff is just a bonus without any real plan in place for use.

I imagine if it's set up right- some of this stuff could be cool for use in a server.

-

post #45 of 116 Old 05-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Oh no .... no offense taken on this end at all . It was a good post and shows with out dispute a feature of the board I did not know . Thanks

I am guessing that this board was chosen for the dual Intel lans and the fact that 8 sata ports are built into the board which in this build would negate the need for an expander card immediately. Also this board and it's chip set capacity's can easily be used in an Ivy up grade or a complete tare down and / or used in a totally different capacity at a later date .

Another words .... Diversity

I also detect a bit of an "experimental" theme to the purpose of this build but that maybe an assumption on my part . I like the fact that the o.p. is stepping out on a bit of a limb here . No hugging the trunk of the tree here with this build is obvious . I like it and intend to follow along intently .

Maybe one day you folks will change my mind about Asus Your getting close !
post #46 of 116 Old 05-10-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Had a few more minutes of free time today...

I will be sure to post the finished product once I am done with cable management and tell you my thoughts from a hardware build perspective.
post #47 of 116 Old 05-10-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Maybe one day you folks will change my mind about Asus Your getting close !

You don't like Asus ? (gasp!)

How come ? I believe them to be the best motherboard maker in general.

They have been at the top for a long time.

-

post #48 of 116 Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Nice work. Who is this lucky AVS member??? Lets post some pics of him/her as well !!! lolz
post #49 of 116 Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Nice work. Who is this lucky AVS member??? Lets post some pics of him/her as well !!! lolz

I was asked politely not to disclose that information.

Let me just say he/she is a pleasure to work with though.
post #50 of 116 Old 05-10-2012, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You don't like Asus ? (gasp!)

How come ? I believe them to be the best motherboard maker in general.

They have been at the top for a long time.

I like there boards . It is there support that sucks . Drivers , bios roll outs etc. Go on there forum and spend about a day meandering around . Let's just say not the friendliest crowd around and NO Asus tech support ever comes on to help like EVGA does.

With that said , I have heard rumors that it is getting better .

Just my thoughts . Doesn't make me 100% correct.

Edit : Let me say that I do feel that all board maufactures have there issues of one sort or another . So I'm not "picking" on Asus . The fact is , how they handle the issues is what i mean. I respect your loyalty but I really don't want to go to far here since this thread does belong to Assassin .

Thanks
post #51 of 116 Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 PM

Liked: 10
UnRaid, ZFS or what?
post #52 of 116 Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

FYI the Intel integrated NIC (Intel 82579V on this particular board) is NOT supported or recognized by Intel in WHS 2011.

I have been battling this tonight. There are workarounds posted out there but the drivers that they worked with have all been taken down by Intel.

Bottom line: Don't spend extra to get an Intel integrated NIC if you are using WHS as you can't install the drivers --- even manually.

Here is the best discussion I could find on this issue...

http://communities.intel.com/thread/...rt=15&tstart=0

Not worth all this trouble and headache to save $25 and 1 PCI-e lane. Just get a Realtek NIC board and add an Intel NIC PCI-e.

Update: I got it working. See page 3.
post #53 of 116 Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:

FYI the Intel integrated NIC (Intel 82579V on this particular board) is NOT supported or recognized by Intel in WHS 2011.

I have been battling this tonight. There are workarounds posted out there but the drivers that they worked with have all been taken down by Intel.

Bottom line: Don't spend extra to get an Intel integrated NIC if you are using WHS as you can't install the drivers --- even manually.

Not worth all this trouble and headache to save $25 and 1 PCI-e lane. Just get a Realtek NIC board and add an Intel NIC PCI-e.

got a link for the realtek nic board & the Intel nic PCI-e ? I'm amassing parts

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #54 of 116 Old 05-11-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Glad to know... You saved me headache.

Sorry it happened to you.

-

post #55 of 116 Old 05-11-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

post #56 of 116 Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 PM

Liked: 16
I really liked the fan control on my Asus Z77 board. That's about the only thing that worked right on it before I returned it.

As for the NIC either go cheap with a low end board and add a card as you stated or if you've got the budget go Supermicro for the Intel NIC.

I am kinda surprised that the Win7 drivers don't work. It does appear that Intel may be making a concerted effort to differentiate it's boards between server and consumer. The only thing in the Server 2008 download section for desktop boards is a PDF stating that they don't plan on developing drivers for server operating systems.

Just a thought, could you run the installer in Win7 compatibility mode to fool it.
Good luck.
post #57 of 116 Old 05-11-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff99 View Post

I really liked the fan control on my Asus Z77 board. That's about the only thing that worked right on it before I returned it.

As for the NIC either go cheap with a low end board and add a card as you stated or if you've got the budget go Supermicro for the Intel NIC.

I am kinda surprised that the Win7 drivers don't work. It does appear that Intel may be making a concerted effort to differentiate it's boards between server and consumer. The only thing in the Server 2008 download section for desktop boards is a PDF stating that they don't plan on developing drivers for server operating systems.

Just a thought, could you run the installer in Win7 compatibility mode to fool it.
Good luck.

All the other drivers installed just fine for me. As did the ASUS software. The ASUS board itself has been great thus far without any issues except the Intel integrated NIC which I think is more of an Intel issue than an ASUS issue.

The Intel NIC drivers did not as I have stated (even in compatibility mode which I tried several different options).

I don't this this is an issue with ASUS but instead is an issue with Intel limiting this. My personal server is an ASRock H67 board and the Realtek NIC installed just fine (as did the Intel NIC that I added later via PCI-e).

I think this is just Intel's way of getting you to either buy a more expensive server board or to buy an additional NIC card.

It hasn't deterred me from using these boards for servers. I just learned a valuable lesson about paying extra for the Intel integrated NIC.
post #58 of 116 Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 PM

I figured you would have tried all the obvious tricks. I think your right about them trying to separate the desktop and server market. This must be intentional since this is the first generation of desktop boards from companies other that Intel that are coming with Intel NIC's. They must have released a cheaper NIC designed for desktop boards, they just didn't want to hurt their server business.
post #59 of 116 Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff99 View Post

I figured you would have tried all the obvious tricks. I think your right about them trying to separate the desktop and server market. This must be intentional since this is the first generation of desktop boards from companies other that Intel that are coming with Intel NIC's. They must have released a cheaper NIC designed for desktop boards, they just didn't want to hurt their server business.

There will be a hack for it eventually (there almost always is). At that point he will have dual Intel LAN if he wants. Until then its PCI-e which should arrive early in the next few business days.
post #60 of 116 Old 05-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Silly question. I assume you tried ReneTHX's fix.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...ostcount=17409
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page