did upgrading my memory for 8 to 16 gigs stop playready from working? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I upgraded my memory from 8 gig to 16gigs. And playready stopped working right. i could not record tbs and netflix stopped working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-12-2012, 03:15 AM

Liked: 12
Shoot me your system specs please.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
That would most likely be the cause for PlayReady not working, however it would probably take a bit more than just upgrading the memory to hose PlayReady. Anytime I've ever tried either a memory or CPU upgrade it killed PlayReady, but it was probably the 3rd or 4th upgrade I attempted on the PC before it killed it. I believe that once you exceed three upgrades Windows wants you to reactivate the OS and it ends up killing the DRM decryption key in the process. You're probably going to have to reinstall Windows from scratch, although there are supposed to be workarounds to get PlayReady working again.

This begs the question, why on earth would you need 16 GB of memory in an HTPC?
post #4 of 4 Old 05-12-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I built this computer for playing games and recording tv shows. I even play 3d blu-rays on it. i also use it as a computer on a second monitor. My computer replaces my tivo hd. my ps3 and my blu-ray player.

I don't know if i need 16gigs of memory but it was only 50.00 for another 8gigs so i bought it. also added a 3rd 200mm fan at the sametime.

i used the workaround to fix playready

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

That would most likely be the cause for PlayReady not working, however it would probably take a bit more than just upgrading the memory to hose PlayReady. Anytime I've ever tried either a memory or CPU upgrade it killed PlayReady, but it was probably the 3rd or 4th upgrade I attempted on the PC before it killed it. I believe that once you exceed three upgrades Windows wants you to reactivate the OS and it ends up killing the DRM decryption key in the process. You're probably going to have to reinstall Windows from scratch, although there are supposed to be workarounds to get PlayReady working again.

This begs the question, why on earth would you need 16 GB of memory in an HTPC?

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page