post #31 of 50 Old 05-20-2012, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

You could also use Windows Easy Transfer Wizard to move your (optionally carefully selected) files and settings to a fresh Windows installation.

Was this posted before or after? I successfully installed the image from my original OS drive and put it on the SSD, otherwise called a Bare Metal Install since the SSD had no OS on it, had to be formatted as well.

Made it a simple volume with Client Restore software (Windows PE) and it took about 2 hours to download the image from the my WHS 2011 and install it. One reboot, everything but the ATI tuner worked, which turned out it wasn't seated right. I had pulled it all apart to install the new APU and Motherboard. Once I figured the board was the culprit of why my new system wouldn't fire up, I put the SSD with the old motherboard, re-installed all the tuners and its all working fine just faster...

I don't see how installing it with new hardware would be any different. All I have to do is changed out the motherboard, APU and memory for the old parts when the new motherboard gets here according to Amazon this Tues.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Was this posted before or after? I successfully installed the image from my original OS drive and put it on the SSD, otherwise called a Bare Metal Install since the SSD had no OS on it, had to be formatted as well.

Seems like after. Late to the parade I guess. I posted that because I've used it a bunch of times like when upgrading Windows from 98 to XP. It allowed me to do a clean install and keep my settings. I think they called it the 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' back then.
post #33 of 50 Old 05-20-2012, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Seems like after. Late to the parade I guess. I posted that because I've used it a bunch of times like when upgrading Windows from 98 to XP. It allowed me to do a clean install and keep my settings. I think they called it the 'Files and Settings Transfer Wizard' back then.

I used Easy Transfer as well because some of the information from the image had been changed. So I used both....

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #34 of 50 Old 06-03-2012, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I installed the new motherboard, APU and memory tonight. I also did some cleaning up of the wiring (zip ties). The fans are turned all the way down, steady at 17 degrees C .

PlayReady wouldn't allow video to be shown of course, so tried to update. I hand to go to Solution #2 I found on the SilconDust Homerun site, which involved CMD.

Experiencing some issues with Live TV however. This might be the case of the tuner might need to be re-seated again. I'll fix it before going to bed, it has to work Indy Car at Detroit tomorrow...

Also the TV Archive transfer service is not running. All minor issues, beats installing all from scratch...

Much faster than my old HTPC, I'm glad I made the upgrade. The SSD is even faster with SATA 3 ports and my WIE score hit 7.7 with the SSD -

I'll sort all these minor issues out over the next few hours/days.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #35 of 50 Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
If you don't do a clean install, Intel, Samsung, and probably some other makes have really handy tools you can downloard for their drives that go through all the items that should be adjusted in Windows, check them, list them, and give you the choice to fix them or not.

I think they all only work with the particular manufacturer's drive, but you should check and see if yours has such a tool available.
post #36 of 50 Old 06-14-2012, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Updating...

I tried an PlayReady Fix and got it re-install, deleted my recording schedule but that's not a big deal. NASCAR and F1 this past weekend failed, I got Copy Protected Screen.. For some reason Indy Car at Texas the week before played without a problem (not Copy Protected I assume) on NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus).

So with the Server Connector issues and all that still, (I had to disable IPv6 just to get the bridge to continue working since the NIC would stop sending packets (???).

Anyway, with Le Mans coming up this weekend, I don't wanna take any chances of recording failing because I'll have to go to bed early to catch the start of the race (6am PST) and I have been not working out to spend time troubleshooting this thing. Its okay, only 3lbs off my goal despite not pumping iron or doing any cardio, just stop drinking the protein drinks for the moment (off-topic I know). I am going to try a Sysprep trick I found on the Seven Forums using Sysprep to trick Windows into believing its starting up for the first time with the new hardware like it was original, but keeps your old profile in place, you'll just re-log into it when its done.

I hope this works, otherwise its a fresh install and I'll be super upset!

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #37 of 50 Old 06-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

So, I've finally picked up an SSD for my main HTPC, and I'm concerned about losing the ability to play back all my "copy once" recorded TV too. Based on this, I want to avoid a fresh install, and do a migration. From reading some other threads, it sounds like using Windows' built-in backup and restore capability should work out for this...

My HTPC currently has a single 2TB hard drive. OS and programs are all stored on a separate (approx 50 GB) partition, which is the C drive. Then there is the little 100 MB system reserved block. The remainder of the drive is all filled with media (recorded TV, to be more precise).
So far I've created a system image on an external USB hard drive, which seems to contain the entire C drive partition's content plus the system reserved chunk. I have a Win7 installation USB flash drive I can use for the recovery (since my HTPC doesn't have an optical drive).

My main question is -- when I've installed the SSD, is it going to be as simple as booting up from the flash drive, telling windows to "repair" my installation, and pointing it to my external hard drive for the system image source and to the SSD for my destination? Do I need to unplug my hard drive's SATA cable before doing this, so the HTPC doesn't try to touch my good/functioning Windows install? Do I need to delete my C partition from the hard drive before doing all this?

My hope was to leave my hard drive untouched, as a sort of safety net, and only delete the C partition after I'm able to boot from the SSD and confirm my copy protection isn't borked. But I don't have a good feel for how that might affect drive lettering (the SSD wouldn't be able to be C since C would already be claimed). Please tell me I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be! biggrin.gif Thanks!
post #38 of 50 Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This tutorial should get you through a migration pretty quick.

http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/
post #39 of 50 Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks - I ran across that article last night and will resort to using 3rd party software if absolutely required. Still holding out hope I can make it work with Windows internal utilities.

I did get the SSD installed and attempted to boot from my Win7 installation image flash drive. Even though I put it at #1 in the BIOS boot lineup, I still ended up booting from the hard drive instead. So my next plan is to try disconnecting the hard drive's SATA cable and trying again. Then I can attempt a recovery/repair installation first, and if that doesn't work, start over with a fresh installation. After that, I should be able to put the SSD at #1 in the BIOS boot lineup, and run from the SSD while keeping a redundant OS installation on my hard drive until I'm comfortable deleting it. At least, that's my hope. smile.gif
post #40 of 50 Old 06-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

So the migration didn't work using Win7 backup/restore. At first I was getting an error saying "the disk set as active in the BIOS is too small" (even though the OS partition I created a system image of was ~50GB and my SSD is 90GB). I figured out that seemed to be caused by the fact I had my USB drive as #1 in the boot order. But after shuffling the boot order around to put the SSD at #1 and re-trying, I got a new error saying "the parameter is incorrect" followed by some alphanumeric string.

So I gave up on that, and am now trying a clean install on the SSD. We'll see what happens when I plug the hard drive's SATA cable back in.
post #41 of 50 Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlniec View Post

So the migration didn't work using Win7 backup/restore. .... But after shuffling the boot order around to put the SSD at #1 and re-trying, I got a new error saying "the parameter is incorrect" followed by some alphanumeric string.
So I gave up on that, and am now trying a clean install on the SSD. We'll see what happens when I plug the hard drive's SATA cable back in.

I think I've run into the same thing and in my case it had something to do with attempting the restore using a Win7 USB Install... I wondered if it was getting confused and trying to restore to the USB stick instead of the SSD... I found that pulling the USB stick containing Win7 Install at the last moment before the restore actually starts avoided that problem.

You're probably well into your fresh install by now though...
post #42 of 50 Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So the migration didn't work using Win7 backup/restore. At first I was getting an error saying "the disk set as active in the BIOS is too small" (even though the OS partition I created a system image of was ~50GB and my SSD is 90GB). I figured out that seemed to be caused by the fact I had my USB drive as #1 in the boot order. But after shuffling the boot order around to put the SSD at #1 and re-trying, I got a new error saying "the parameter is incorrect" followed by some alphanumeric string.

That's interesting. I shank 320GB drive down to 45GB to get it onto a 60 (55.7GB) SSD. I did a Bare Metal Install. If you haven't installed already, disconnect all internal drives but the SSD and unplug/disconnect/turnoff your external drives.

What I did was install the SSD only. Before anything I secured erase. Booted up Client Restore, went to Advanced Options and Formatted the drive into a Simple Volume. I then picked an image from the day before, took about two hours, but it loaded up. Came up Windows didn't shut down correctly so I just continued with the regular boot up and it ran fine no issues on the original hardware.

My problem is -

1) Replacing the motherboard is what broke PlayReady. As I understand it, the MAC Address is different on this NIC than with the previous motherboard.

2) I tried to run Sysprep to fix that problem. However I found with Windows Backup and Restore images and Server 2008R/Windows Home Server/Small Business causes all sorts of problems. The main one is Autochk (which looks for the drive with the OS in the First Boot/Opening The Box) when this fails, you get c0000021a Fatal Error. I tried at least four different things to fix it (usually a problem with Server 2008R, but kernel is the same as Windows 7) and nothing worked. I am waiting for a reply from the guy that wrote the Sysprep Tutorial.

In the meantime, I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 7 and came really close to installing Windows 8., which I may still do. I will (WHS 2011) backup the OS drive I assume in the next day or so. I wanted to get it up and running because its my TV. Yes I can unplug the cables from it and plug it into the LCD since its a real HDTV this time and not the 24" LCD 1080p monitor I had before. The reason I spend almost a week on trying to install an image is because of all the programs I run, not really that many, but I already had XBMC mostly where I wanted it, despite MCM messing up the files names and metadata.

Now I am going to focus on the customizing I've been meaning to do for years - http://www.hack7mc.com/ that way I'll have it right where I want it, if I can't get the old image to work.

Oh I almost forgot, I had to go out and spend $40 on a USB Wireless Adapter (Netgear WNA3100) since the Realtek NIC has been causes all kinds of issues with it disconnecting from the network. So when it came time to install the Server Connector it constantly disconnect from the network/internet. The only thing that has changed was the motherboard and all its associated parts, so I tried the latest driver from Realtek, tried to install the connector again, it failed. Installed the drivers for the USB adapter, plugged it in, put in the key (WDS wasn't working for some reason) and it instantly downloaded and installed the Server Connector, LaunchPad, Dashboard and TV Archive - smile.gif that it worked, frown.gif I had to purchase something else. I will call ASRock on Monday to see if we can solve it. Otherwise, its back to Amazon and no more ASRock boards, first one was DOA.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #43 of 50 Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Who made the SSD and the HD? Many manufacturers offer a free version of Acronis (all I had to do to use the WD version was plug in an external WD drive).
post #44 of 50 Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Me or the other post? OCZ, no software. Software is usually included with Laptop or Desktop kits, not raw drives. Even so Clonzilla is free, easy to understand and again, FREE. I used Windows Home Server 2011, easy, peasy...

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #45 of 50 Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Who made the SSD and the HD? Many manufacturers offer a free version of Acronis (all I had to do to use the WD version was plug in an external WD drive).

NOW ya tell me! smile.gif Seriously, though, this post helped me out a lot -- I have several WD external hard drives, and while none of them had the Acronis software on them, I did find the free download @ WD's website. I was able to successfully clone my OS partitions (plural since I'm including the "system reserved" chunk) over to the SSD. I am now booting from it, and things are working just like they did when I was running from the hard drive (except much snappier, of course).

Lessons learned?
1. Clean install of Win7 to the SSD resulted in DRM failure -- i.e. I could not play back my "copy once" recorded TV.
2. Even if the drive you want to boot from doesn't show up as a choice for the boot order menu in the BIOS, that doesn't mean you can't boot from it.
3. Putting the SSD on the SATA port that my hard drive used to be on seemed to help ensure booting to the SSD and not the hard drive (which still has its Windows install intact).
4. Backing up OS partitions to image, and then restoring to the SSD (using Acronis SW) resulted in success -- copy-protected recorded TV plays as it should.
5. Next time I do a build from scratch, it's getting an SSD right out of the chute (none of this migration nonsense!) biggrin.gif

For what it's worth, the hard drive is a 2TB WD Green (extracted from an Elements USB external) and the SSD is a 90GB Kingston HyperX.
post #46 of 50 Old 06-16-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NOW ya tell me! smile.gif Seriously, though, this post helped me out a lot -- I have several WD external hard drives, and while none of them had the Acronis software on them, I did find the free download @ WD's website. I was able to successfully clone my OS partitions (plural since I'm including the "system reserved" chunk) over to the SSD. I am now booting from it, and things are working just like they did when I was running from the hard drive (except much snappier, of course).
Lessons learned?
1. Clean install of Win7 to the SSD resulted in DRM failure -- i.e. I could not play back my "copy once" recorded TV.
2. Even if the drive you want to boot from doesn't show up as a choice for the boot order menu in the BIOS, that doesn't mean you can't boot from it.
3. Putting the SSD on the SATA port that my hard drive used to be on seemed to help ensure booting to the SSD and not the hard drive (which still has its Windows install intact).
4. Backing up OS partitions to image, and then restoring to the SSD (using Acronis SW) resulted in success -- copy-protected recorded TV plays as it should.
5. Next time I do a build from scratch, it's getting an SSD right out of the chute (none of this migration nonsense!) biggrin.gif
For what it's worth, the hard drive is a 2TB WD Green (extracted from an Elements USB external) and the SSD is a 90GB Kingston HyperX.

As I was saying -

1) Replacing the Motherboard will break PlayReady. All Copy Protected content can't be viewed on your old machine because it has a new motherboard. Why? The NIC has a different MAC address...

2) You can replace video card, hard drives, ram, even CPU and most of the time it won't break PlayReady.

3) Swaping Drivers (HD to SSD) is painless. You can do a fresh install or image. I haven't given up on my image yet, I am waiting for some information. I did a fresh install so I can have TV.... Watching 24 hours of Le Mans via Eurosport HD (Justin TV), Recording with Windows Media Center, watching Le Mans live on the ACO web site and listening to Radio Le Mans + Mark Cole (Eurosport).

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #47 of 50 Old 06-18-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Correct - I was fortunate enough that the only change in my system was adding the SSD. All other hardware (most importantly, the motherboard) stayed the same.
What I found funny was that, in spite of keeping my hardware the same, a fresh install of Windows on the SSD still killed PlayReady. Even though I used the same copy of Windows/activation code, too.
In any case - best of luck with getting PlayReady working again after the motherboard change. It's too bad that we users who try to legitimately respect the content providers' wishes (by using "approved" WMC DVR functionality via CableCARD authentication) get screwed, while those users who pirate content won't ever have to worry about a hardware/software change breaking their ability to play the content... but I digress. mad.gif
post #48 of 50 Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All that nonsense has given rise of the thought of living without DirecTV. Its not my call, but if we don't get Sunday Ticket again this season, there's little reason to have DirecTV. None of us watch movies very often, a Netflix and Redbox account could solve that. All the racing I watch is not even on American TV in most cases, I get that through other means, but dropping DTV would mean loosing access to the recently added Speed 2.

I'm not clear about the legalese of what your saying because common sense tells me file sharing is no different tape trading in another era. I let people borrow my CD's and many times they never returned them. Giving them a digital copy means I don't have to loan out the actual copy. Who gets to say whether that is legal or not? Funny its the media companies looking to drain every penny you got from you. Sharing it over a network just widens the sharing pool.

When Nintendo cracks down on emulation, its okay when they use emulation to allow you to play older Nintendo games on the Wii. Sony cut cost of manufacturing the PS3 by using emulation for PS2 games since hardware playback of PS2 games made it more expensive to manufacture.

All of this is off-topic and MS is just going along with a DRM agreement, it has nothing to do with them but more with whatever contract they agreed too. Blame the content providers who scream about piracy and again want to milk every penny out of you by railing against streaming content and making examples out of downloading by suing the for 5x or 10x the amount of whatever they downloaded retail (inflated) value.

This is could have easily been solved with an all you can eat for a flat rate model, similar to Netflix all you can eat for $20 a month, one disc at a time including BR and all the streaming you want. How come Sony, Universal and the others don't offer that, silly, there lost and they'll learn the hard way.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #49 of 50 Old 06-19-2012, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Correct - I was fortunate enough that the only change in my system was adding the SSD. All other hardware (most importantly, the motherboard) stayed the same.
What I found funny was that, in spite of keeping my hardware the same, a fresh install of Windows on the SSD still killed PlayReady. Even though I used the same copy of Windows/activation code, too.
In any case - best of luck with getting PlayReady working again after the motherboard change. It's too bad that we users who try to legitimately respect the content providers' wishes (by using "approved" WMC DVR functionality via CableCARD authentication) get screwed, while those users who pirate content won't ever have to worry about a hardware/software change breaking their ability to play the content... but I digress. mad.gif

Just for future notice there are apps that will change your MAC address to anything you need as long as you're not going to use the original board, either on your network or to be safe, anywhere. I had to do it for an EDA license I used at work that stopped working when my original system went off lease because the license was tied to the MAC. I can't remember the app name at the moment but there are freeware versions.
post #50 of 50 Old 11-24-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrach View Post

This tutorial should get you through a migration pretty quick.

http://www.howtogeek.com/97242/how-to-migrate-windows-7-to-a-solid-state-drive/

This link was recently updated with the following comment:
"Wow. This article makes things way harder than they need be. I’m not sure if the folks at The Geek are aware of this, but Windows 7 is fully SSD aware. Fully. That means that awareness extends to the Windows 7 backup and restore utility and its built in disk image function. You can try and verify for yourself, but I promise that this is a true thing. What this means is that if you are migrating an existing Windows 7 installation from a standard hard disk to an SSD, you do NOT need Clonezilla or EaseUS Partition Manager, and you do NOT need to use diskpart to align the partitions. Really.

After reading this article I was filled with doubt about what I thought I knew, so I set about verifying that what I thought I knew was right. And here’s what I thought I knew (and have verified to be so.)

A Windows 7 system image generated by the Windows 7 backup and restore utility from a Windows 7 installation on a standard hard disk is properly aligned automatically when that image is used to migrate/restore the Windows 7 OS to a solid state disc. How did I verify this? Well, I checked the Dell Latitude E6500 that sits on my desk which was set up in exactly this way. Partitions are aligned properly. Then I called a friend for whom I had just a few weeks ago migrated an existing Windows 7 installation from a Western Digital Scorpio Black 320 gig drive to a Samsung 470 SSD just a few weeks ago and had him check the partition offset. It was perfect. (1048576.) And then I checked half a dozen assorted other laptops and desktops I had migrated from spinning hard disks to SSDs using Win 7′s own backup and restore generated system image and in each and every case the SSD was aligned properly.

If you have Win 7, you don’t need Clonezilla or EaseUS or Acronis or Ghost. All you need is Win 7. Boot with the Wi n 7 OS DVD or a recovery disc and restore the system image to the new drive. That’s it. Check for yourself.

The advice on things like defrag? Good advice, but you don’t need Defraggler or any third party software for that either. Win 7′s defrag consolidates free space. You can verify this by running Win 7′s defrag from as an admin from the command prompt. (CMD–>run as administrator) Run defrag /c /u /v

Yes, clear all the temp files. Disable hibernation. Reduce the swap file (but don’t turn it off completely.) Run Win 7′s defrag from the command prompt. Shrink the partition (if needed to make it fit on the new SSD.) Generate a system image on an external USB or eSATA (if your system supports booting with eSATA) drive. Install your SSD and restore the system image. That’s it."

It seems like the alternatives for migrating the operating system to a SSD is rapidly changing and getting easier. Current software migration aids include Aomei, Acronis and Paragon and if this comment is correct I may not even need these programs.

I am planning to use my new Black Friday purchased OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB SSD mainly to speed up booting my 2009 computer and I have been reading up.

I considered a fresh install from win 7 32 bit to win7 64 bit but it seemed the only advantage of 64 bit Win 7 for me was that I could use a larger than 3 TB drive as a boot drive and now I won't be doing that. While a fresh install would clean up a lot of accumulated junk it would also take a lot time, require preparation of outlook data, backing up internet favorites, preparation of my direct attached storage hardware raid device which stores media backups and my system backup and the reinstallation of many programs, (some of which require original software or codes that will be time consuming or difficult to get)

So, my question is, "Am I correct that the migration process has become simpler and more dependable than it was six months ago?" Is Windows 7 fully SSD aware or should I use Aomei Partition Assistant?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page