Migrate or Fresh Install? HDD to SSD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Now that I have all the parts, I am ready to assemble the new/upgraded HTPC.

I don't think I wanna go through the task of pointing folders from the server back to XBMC for example. Never mind finding all the serial keys for software.

My most often used paid program is Replay A/V and I do have the serial key for that, not an issue. The other is Game Cam which I used to screen capture gameplay naturally (fairly rare however).

In any event, I already have an image of the OS drive backup to the server. My plan was to shrink C: down to that of below the SSD final size, currently it sits at 45GB used with other 255GB allocated of course. I would shrink that down to about 46-48GB with plenty of space leftover for whatever. I would then do a manual backup of the C: drive via WHS 2011.

Once that's done, I would then take apart the PC and install the new hardware. Once that's done I would fire up the new PC with SSD only before I add the 640GB internal drive.

Questions -
  1. Should I set AHCI in Windows before making an image? If so, is it the same reg key hack or is there a different one for AMD PC's?
  2. Once I set the BIOS/UEFI to AHCI and boot the SSD for the first time, install the image, shut down and then add the larger drive. Correct?
  3. It says I should reset Windows Experience Index to take in account the SSD but everything but the case and psu are changed, so I would have to re-run this anyway, right?
  4. I have 4GB of RAM, I should reduce Page File to 500MB correct? I'll leave everything else as it should be with the SSD defaults inside Windows 7.
  5. I will not be using the HD4670, should I remove its drivers before making an image and then install the AMD Vision drivers for the APU?

I'd like to get this up and running soon, likely tomorrow night. Thanks.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm going to vote for fresh install. Let Windows optimize for SSD during installation, rather than having to kluge in all the SSD appropriate settings and configurations after the HDD migration to SSD. And, as a general rule, fresh is better anyway. But, hey, that's just me

post #3 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Always fresh install for me.

Takes the guess work out of issues you might have in the future...

"Hmm. Wonder if this isn't working because of that SSD migration" I think to myself when X, Y or Z aren't working.

Ends up saving me time in the long run.
post #4 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Back again just to say after re-reading the original post:

If that old installation you want to migrate from HDD to SSD was done while the old system was set to IDE mode... and now you want to switch to a new system that runs in AHCI mode... I'd say it's the perfect time to nuke and re-pave the OS

post #5 of 50 Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've always found it worthwhile doing a fresh reinstall of windows every 6-12 months regardless of whether the os drive is being replaced. It's amazing how much crud builds up in windows and slows things down over time.

post #6 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't mind a clean install at all. Its just a chore to install all the programs (980MB total). I might cut back on a few that I rarely use since I try not to use it as a desktop anymore.

I know Windows 7 installs happen much faster via USB to SSD (which is what I would be doing) claims of 10-15 mins and that is one of the reasons I opted for an SSD.

I was looking a this post about boot-times and somebody posted this -

According to Mark Stewart (who ever that is....):

Quote:

To prepare the SSD, remove logical prints that result registry corruption and so on, it is essential, (according to Intel, for all SSD devices), to run CLEAN ALL from DISKPART during the Windows 7 Setup. CLEAN ALL will not run from a USB thumb drive due to desktop device restrictions. From a thumb drive you can only run CLEAN, then CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY, and FORMAT. Unfortunately, FORMAT does not properly execute for the SSD, from the setup command prompt Shift-F10, or from the Windows Setup disk preparation window.

The only way to use CLEAN ALL from a USB is to move comaand focus during Windows Setup to a Windows 7 DVD and run CLEAN ALL from there. However, when you return to your restricted USB to continue Setup, your Windows Setup focus will remain with the DVD device where CLEAN ALL was executed. Your OS installation will run at DVD speed, give or take a milisecond, However, USB is not the device preferred installation channel. Problems may arise.

For example, HKU S-register permissions corruption will be removed from internal systems disks, but what was a few corrupt folder entries on internal drives then becomes HKU S-registry corruption for all folders and files of all extrenal drives for the same system. In consideration of this and thousands of other issues, Microsoft MAY provide thumb support, or even a method to manually copy the entire setup manaully to the target SSD for future versions of Windows. Windows managment on an SSD Windows system is for advanced users only.

If this is true, no problem I have Hirem's boot disk (actually on a USB drive) and can run Windows PE, run Diskpart and CLEAN ALL (I suppose?)

I also might install it from my WHS 2011 using MDT 2010 if I can anyway...

Just to see how that works.

I'll think it ova....

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #7 of 50 Old 05-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have been following this thread since I'm about to upgrade my HTPC to SSD.

I did some Googling, and I have started to conclude its not needed or even a good idea to do a CLEAN ALL on an SSD. If you have an ERASE utility from the disk manufacturer, you'd be better off using that.
post #8 of 50 Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

I have been following this thread since I'm about to upgrade my HTPC to SSD.

I did some Googling, and I have started to conclude its not needed or even a good idea to do a CLEAN ALL on an SSD. If you have an ERASE utility from the disk manufacturer, you'd be better off using that.

I am getting closer to doing this but likely not today. Between the NBA Playoffs (both Lakers and Clippers are in), my workout (which I have skipped the past two days due to other issues) and getting at least 8 hours of sleep (max calorie burn) doesn't mean there's much time between my recordings and the time it takes to remove the old hardware to install the new hardware.

I may just do a shrink and image for the time being and later do a fresh install.

Otherwise, I may never get this done. It takes about 45mins to an hour to install the hardware, since OEM Heatsink Fans come with a pad and not paste, you just peal and stick, when the CPU powers up it will cure it. Not the best when it comes to thermal control but "good enough" no overclocking happening here, maybe memory but it doesn't have spreaders on it, so not likely, depends how much Prime likes the new build I suppose.

The longest part would be the image being sent over network but its it 802.11n and I can stream compressed HD from my server (unsure the bit-rate).

It shouldn't take very long, it would only be restoring about 50GB anyway.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #9 of 50 Old 05-15-2012, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Wipe out the os drive and do a fresh install . You will save a LOT of headaches.

Make the time and do it right . Yes it is a pita but you will be glad u took the extra painful steps . Snappier system to !
post #10 of 50 Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM

I'll go ahead and throw in my $0.02 here...

I have done quite a few HDD to SSD migrations. Both with Win7 (32 and 64-bit) and most recently with WHS 2011. I've never had a problem... You can save a lot of time and headaches getting things setup just like they were by just re-imaging. I generally use my WHS restore capability to perform the "clone", but the Win7 built-in image backup/restore works well too (and will get the SSD alignment correct).

The only change I make after doing the migration is to disable hibernation (powercfg -h off), which is something you should do on a fresh install anyway (at least on a system which is allowed to sleep).
post #11 of 50 Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanM View Post

I'll go ahead and throw in my $0.02 here...

I have done quite a few HDD to SSD migrations. Both with Win7 (32 and 64-bit) and most recently with WHS 2011. I've never had a problem... You can save a lot of time and headaches getting things setup just like they were by just re-imaging. I generally use my WHS restore capability to perform the "clone", but the Win7 built-in image backup/restore works well too (and will get the SSD alignment correct).

The only change I make after doing the migration is to disable hibernation (powercfg -h off), which is something you should do on a fresh install anyway (at least on a system which is allowed to sleep).

The HDD-to-SSD system migration makes sense if one is simply swapping in a new SSD to replace an old HDD.

But the original post says (to me) the following...

- New system hardware is being assembled, so the H/W platform is changing under the old system install (sounds like a motherboard swap, if I'm reading the OP correctly).
- The old installation was done with the old mobo's SATA controller in IDE mode, now AHCI is desired for the new system.

If the original poster (dj4monie) reads this, please correct me if I'm wrong. But if the above points are true for your situation, then you really should not migrate your old installation, you would do a fresh install.

post #12 of 50 Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 PM

I read the OP (again) and I still don't see a motherboard swap (the word "motherboard" does not appear in the post). Even the IDE to AHCI could be handled in a HDD to SSD upgrade scenario (switch to msahci drivers in registry before creating the final backup image). Even a modest CPU upgrade on same motherboard can be accommodated with an image base backup/restore.

But yeah... if there is a motherboard upgrade here, then a clean install is definitely in order.

Perhaps everything that is happening here is not clearly stated in the OP.
post #13 of 50 Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
If you have any big brand name disks from WD, Segate (Maxtor) or anyone else that offers "installation CD" or "Installation download" (usually Acronis tied to the brand of the drive) you can migrate from one drive to another, as long as that brand drive is connected to the system, even if it is neither the source nor the destination.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #14 of 50 Old 05-16-2012, 12:47 PM

Another way to perform the partition copy from HDD -> SSD is to load Ubuntu Linux on a USB drive and boot off it (ie. Linux Live "CD")... with both drives in the system. The default Linux Live image for Ubuntu 12.04 has Gparted built-in, and it can do the copy with proper alignment...
post #15 of 50 Old 05-16-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Definitely a fresh install if you're switching motherboards. If it's just a AHCI switch and some other minor hardware upgrade (unless you're switching video card chipset brands), a transfer should work fine.
post #16 of 50 Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Image using acronis (or other software ) from hdd to ssd. Less wear and tear on the ssd imaging it then doing a windows install.
post #17 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well....

It is new hardware, everything but the PSU and the Case is changing on the inside.

I don't see some of the issues mention of concern.

I just finished using Partition Wizard to shrink the active partition down to 41.1GB with 3.06GB free = 44GB and change. It works fine, I am getting caught up on my news as I write this. I set WHS to do a backup at its regularly scheduled time. I used a MS FixIt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 to change the boot from IDE to AHCI. It will take effect on the next boot.

Tomorrow sometime (3 hours between recording #1 and #2, 2 hours between recording #2 and #3, 2 hours between recording #3 and #4 and finally one hour between recording #4, #5, #6 and #7) I will replace the motherboard, memory and cpu with a ASRock A75 motherboard/Hudson chipset, A6-3500 APU and 1600Mhz 4GB (2x2GB) of memory.

At that point, I will attach the SSD only to the system. I will boot with the OCZ Took Kit (Linux version) to run Secure Erase. I read on a How-To Geek post about how W7 is already aligned even on spinning drives and that if you image the HDD and then put it on an SSD it will still remained aligned.

Running Secure Erase it just a safety measure.

WEI updated will turn-off DeFrag and Super Fetch. I will turn off hibernation before I go to bed so it image has that information. I've already taken Page File down to 500MB and turned down System Restore to 1GB I think.

After formatting the SSD to NTFS, I then will boot up with the USB Flash drive version of WHS Client Restore and do a BMR (Bare Metal Restore) of the last image made earlier in the day.

When it goes to boot, I will press F8 to go into safe mode and run the ASRock motherboard drivers. Once finished shutdown, reboot back into the Bios/UEFI, switch video from the HD4670 to the APU, shutdown, remove the video card and I should be all finished. Also make sure the memory is running at 1600Mhz.

Boot Windows, update to the latest AMD Vision drivers, run WEI and enjoy.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #18 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post

Well....

It is new hardware, everything but the PSU and the Case is changing on the inside.

I don't see some of the issues mention of concern.

I just finished using Partition Wizard to shrink the active partition down to 41.1GB with 3.06GB free = 44GB and change. It works fine, I am getting caught up on my news as I write this. I set WHS to do a backup at its regularly scheduled time. I used a MS FixIt - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 to change the boot from IDE to AHCI. It will take effect on the next boot.

Tomorrow sometime (3 hours between recording #1 and #2, 2 hours between recording #2 and #3, 2 hours between recording #3 and #4 and finally one hour between recording #4, #5, #6 and #7) I will replace the motherboard, memory and cpu with a ASRock A75 motherboard/Hudson chipset, A6-3500 APU and 1600Mhz 4GB (2x2GB) of memory.

At that point, I will attach the SSD only to the system. I will boot with the OCZ Took Kit (Linux version) to run Secure Erase. I read on a How-To Geek post about how W7 is already aligned even on spinning drives and that if you image the HDD and then put it on an SSD it will still remained aligned.

Running Secure Erase it just a safety measure.

WEI updated will turn-off DeFrag and Super Fetch. I will turn off hibernation before I go to bed so it image has that information. I've already taken Page File down to 500MB and turned down System Restore to 1GB I think.

After formatting the SSD to NTFS, I then will boot up with the USB Flash drive version of WHS Client Restore and do a BMR (Bare Metal Restore) of the last image made earlier in the day.

When it goes to boot, I will press F8 to go into safe mode and run the ASRock motherboard drivers. Once finished shutdown, reboot back into the Bios/UEFI, switch video from the HD4670 to the APU, shutdown, remove the video card and I should be all finished. Also make sure the memory is running at 1600Mhz.

Boot Windows, update to the latest AMD Vision drivers, run WEI and enjoy.

I would get my motherboard driver situation worked out before I moved to booting the new system. IOW I would take care as much of that as I could while using the old motherboard.

When moving a bootable drive from one motherboard to another, I usually install a add-on SATA controller, load its drivers, reboot, and then move the hard drive to the new controller and boot again. Once that works, I move the add-on SATA controller to the new motherboard, and reboot with the drive still attached to it. I then load the drivers for the new motherboard. Once that's done I move the hard drive to the new motherboard SATA ports and boot again.

Given that bootable SATA PCI controllers are very inexpensive, this is not a costly way to go, and it works when everything else fails.

Also, be aware of the INTELPPM flag and its potential effects on moving bootable drives from Intel CPU systems to systems with AMD CPUs. Google is your friend.

I've probably moved over 100 XP and sucessor OS systems to new motherboards using this methodology. Most of my clients have highly configured systems with tons of paid-for software. Not having to reinstall all that, and the data situation with various programs is worth money to them. If you have a stripped-back system, a clean install is the way to go.

Also, once you make a significant change to the hardware booting an XP or sequel MS system, you will have to re-activate. This is easiest if your network starts working the first boot. Another thing to get taken care of with the old motherboard. Otherwise, you're dialing for activation which as others have pointed out, is no big deal.

If you have to dial MS for an activation code, just tell them that you installed a new CPU, hard drive or something like that and all of a sudden the machine wants the code and you can't hook up to the internet right now. As long as they are convinced that your 1-CPU license is running on just one system, they'll give you a new code.
post #19 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

I've always found it worthwhile doing a fresh reinstall of windows every 6-12 months regardless of whether the os drive is being replaced. It's amazing how much crud builds up in windows and slows things down over time.

I have always done with same ever since win 3.1....except since 7 came along. It is actually pretty robust. You still need to do some fairly regular maintenance, especially with the registry, to keep it running like new, but 7 actually holds up very well. This particular machine I'm using right now for example, it's still running on my original RTM install from aug 2009 and used daily, and still kicks along as well now as when it was still fresh.

Moving to SSD though, def would do a clean install.
post #20 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 05:37 AM

I've recently migrated two systems from HD to SSDs. One of them was all new hardware (MB, ram, processor), and I didn't have any problems with either system.

My suggestion would be to try the imaging tools mentioned above. If you run into problems, you can always do a clean install of everything. You will save time in the long run, if it works.

Good luck!
post #21 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 196
You'll probably have to reactivate Windows if you change out the mobo.

post #22 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulman1 View Post

Image using acronis (or other software ) from hdd to ssd. Less wear and tear on the ssd imaging it then doing a windows install.

Not quite. Windows installs from an image since Vista. That's how they got install times down so much from XP.
post #23 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

To the OP: I'm predicting lots of Windows Activation issues, and lots of driver conflicts and BSODs. You're essentially building a new computer; why not do it right and do a fresh install?
post #24 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

To the OP: I'm predicting lots of Windows Activation issues,

IME there will be one activation for sure. The trick is to have the network working when it happens. Then it only takes a few seconds.

Quote:

and lots of driver conflicts

The means for reducing that to zero has been provided. Actual driver conflicts have been vanishing since XP came out. The usual problem that leads to BSODs is absence of an enabled driver for the boot device. Resolve it premptively as I have shown how to do, and none need occur.

Quote:

and BSODs.

None need occur.

Quote:

You're essentially building a new computer; why not do it right and do a fresh install?

One reason is that doing a fresh install does not eliminate every reasonable possibility of the very events that you have warned of.
post #25 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

You'll probably have to reactivate Windows if you change out the mobo.

It is almost a given. If the new motherboard uses the same CPU, amount of RAM, chipset, etc., etc., then you may not have to activate. of course if all those things are true, why are you swapping out the old motherboard if it still works?
post #26 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Its all AMD old and new image software? I have WHS 2011, already made an image this morning. If I removed the old drivers why wouldn't windows just replace them with the proper driver(s)? U all make it sound more complicated than its is based on older versions of Windows.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #27 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 05:41 PM

All I know is that... last spring I tried to upgrade just motherboard/cpu from 1st gen Core i3 to 2nd gen Core i3. ASUS h55 board to Intel h67 board. I uninstalled all drivers and anything specific to the ASUS board before backup to WHS, then installed the new HD, then restored to SSD. It was a bust. Windows ran, but bunch of random stuff didn't work, drivers couldn't install, Intel software such as desktop utilities wouldn't install, etc. Ended up doing a re-install, which was a pain, but it also worked flawlessly with no mystery issues.
post #28 of 50 Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh well nothing to do but try right? If it fails I'll try something else. Re-setting software, media center, xbmc, second run tv, my channel logos and all that bs is not appealing at all. If you could build an image inside a vm that would be nice.

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #29 of 50 Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update -

Board was DOA, nothing at all, no fans or anything. Sending it back to Amazon on Saturday. Should have a new board by middle of next week.

Installed the SSD into the old system, fired up WHS Client Restore and it worked fine.

Its SATA II so it won't be blazing fast, but its alot faster starting up, boots windows, online and server connector up in about 30 seconds.

In fact I just rebooted for another reason and back up and watching Live TV in less than a minute, not bad....

A. Thomas -
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #30 of 50 Old 05-19-2012, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 253
You could also use Windows Easy Transfer Wizard to move your (optionally carefully selected) files and settings to a fresh Windows installation.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page