In XBMC some video files play in fast motion... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right when I start certain movies and TV shows in XBMC it immediately plays in fast motion with the audio also in fast motion. After trying to figure out how to solve this problem on my own I figured out that the files that work properly have an mp3 audio track on them while the ones that play in fast motion have a Dolby digital or better audio track. I currently have the htpc set up to a 2.1 Logitech computer speakers hooked up with an analog cable to test it before I move it into my home theater, where I have a 5.1 system with a onkyo 709 receiver. I followed the xbmc guide on this board to configure my htpc. If anyone has an idea that could be causing this I would love the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos101 View Post

Right when I start certain movies and TV shows in XBMC it immediately plays in fast motion with the audio also in fast motion. After trying to figure out how to solve this problem on my own I figured out that the files that work properly have an mp3 audio track on them while the ones that play in fast motion have a Dolby digital or better audio track. I currently have the htpc set up to a 2.1 Logitech computer speakers hooked up with an analog cable to test it before I move it into my home theater, where I have a 5.1 system with a onkyo 709 receiver. I followed the xbmc guide on this board to configure my htpc. If anyone has an idea that could be causing this I would love the help.

Run one of those problem files through handbrake and try it again.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM

Liked: 12
Not sure if it's the same problem that I had. But I'm trying to setup xbmc, I used the hardware acceleration dxva and all my mkvs were going double time without sound (should've been dts sound track). I changed this to software.

The problem went away when I selected analog instead of the HDMI in the xbmc menu. So then I tried to troubleshoot what the heck was going on with my hdmi. I checked my computers audio setting and it showed 2.0 instead of 5.1 (even though I set it up before). I think it was some issue with HDCP handshake with my receiver. I turned off the receiver, shut down the computer, turned on the receiver and rebooted the computer and the option for 5.1 over hdmi came up so I changed it and all the problems stopped.

Try switching from digital to analog in xbmc and replay the movie, if it's fine, then I think the issue is related to the receiver not seeing the computer's hdmi correctly (or the computer sending out weird stuff instead of the proper signal to hdmi).

I don't know if the video card hardware acceleration has anything to do with the problem. I will probably reset it to use the video card tonight. I think it was just a HDMI hiccup though.

You can also try to use wmp. My files that had issues in xbmc had the same issue in wmp which is how I figured out it was probably pc related and not xbmc related.

I also have txnr709 receiver and I'm using windows 7 with xbmc.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

When you say run it through handbreak what do you mean? I have handbreak on my computer but I'm confused what you want me to do when I run the file through handbreak.

XBMC is set to analog when I have it set up to my 2.1 sound system in my room. I don't have it hooked up to my receiver yet because I wanted to get everything set up properly and how I want it before I move it into my home theater room.

I'm not sure if this will provide any help but I have the HTPC hooked up to a monitor with an HDMI cable.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos101 View Post

When you say run it through handbreak what do you mean? I have handbreak on my computer but I'm confused what you want me to do when I run the file through handbreak.

XBMC is set to analog when I have it set up to my 2.1 sound system in my room. I don't have it hooked up to my receiver yet because I wanted to get everything set up properly and how I want it before I move it into my home theater room.

I'm not sure if this will provide any help but I have the HTPC hooked up to a monitor with an HDMI cable.

I just got home and turned on my pc, and then turned on my receiver. Windows does not recognize my receiver this way and it went back to stereo. When I turned the receiver on and rebooted, it was back to normal. I think when the receiver is off, the pass through to my tv screws it up. My pc sees my tv so the icon for my receiver shows up as a monitor.

If you don't have the pc connected to the receiver you might be getting the same issue that I had. Are you trying to bitstream audio formats that your device (monitor or receiver) doesn't recognize?

I'm thinking that the video synchs to the audio somehow so if the audio isn't processed correctly, the video gets screwed. Can you try to hook it up to your receiver and bitstream all the dolby and dts to see if it resolves the issue?

I'll force my system back to the screwed up settings and check out a dolby audio track and post my results.

EDIT:

I get the fast video playback again with dolby digital. But if I change audio output to analog it's normal speed but other things are wonky, like I have 2 languages playing at the same time.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I will try to hook it up to the receiver to see if that solves the issue. I will try to hook it up tonight but I am not sure if I will be able to find time. I will post the results after I find out.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Well I tried hooking up my HTPC to my receiver and I had some odd results. The files that played in fast motion now play at the normal speed but the video stutters a huge amount. The files with the mp3 audio track that worked before now don't have any video but instead only have audio going with a black screen.

I also had a problem getting the HTPC to fit to my tv screen correctly. I'm sure that this is an easy fix that I will have to look up online.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Run one of the problem files through handbrake. Especially if they are downloaded files they are usually very poorly encoded and often putting them in a MKV container correctly fixes some of these very strange issues.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-16-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well this is a little bit odd.... I ran a file through handbreak and it did in fact play properly. I went to check to see if the original still didn't work but now the original file is playing properly even though i checked yesterday and it didn't work. This sparked some curiosity to check all the other files, and when I went to check them every single file now works perfectly correct. I didn't change any settings on the htpc but it seems that all of the files play correctly. I don't know how or why everything decided to work now but I will take it.

*EDIT*

Well I restarted the HTPC after it was working correctly and it now appears to not be working right again. The videos are stuttering and the file that I ran through hand break is also stuttering. I checked about 50 files before and everyone worked correctly and now after I restarted the computer none of them are working right. I didn't change any settings either time. Does anyone have any ideas.
post #10 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Bump... Does anyone have any ideas on what could have caused it to work and then after restarting my computer it not to work anymore?
post #11 of 13 Old 05-18-2012, 02:27 PM

I can only say that I have experienced the same with other parts of xbmc, I don't know the causes and it drives me insane. I've been going to bed at 4am the past 3 days just cussing out my computer, and xbmc.

I had emulators setup with romcollectionbrowser, I went through the whole shabang importing fanart/info/images for the over 150 games that I have. It was working beautifully and then the next day...I hadn't even touched xbmc....none of my 3 emulators worked. I then got rid of that program and used advanced launcher everything was peachy. i added a few tv shows and all of the sudden none of the emulators worked. Without restarting, I tried them as standalone applications and they all worked fine. I setup gamebrowser in mediabrowser...they all worked fine.

I add movies and only some appear, I restart multiple times and then they all showup. XBMC has frozen up on me multiple times, cpu shows 3% usage. I have had files I accidently added to movies stay there permanently despite removing all the sources and despite trying to delete them directly. Which led me to uninstall and reinstall xbmc.

Getting real sick of looking up solutions, copying and pasting code, trying to setup advancesettings xml files. Downloading cool plugins that don't work without some technical wizardry that I am just not knowledgeable enough to get working.

I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong but I just don't have any confidence that I'll get this to work in a robust and stable manner. I try a different skin and other issues come up, I update something and things that were working stop working while some things that didn't work start to work. That's both the beauty and the beast of xbmc, lots of user created stuff that we probably can't expect to all work seamlessly together without trial and error.

I've been banging my head against the wall for 3 days straight...took me 30 minutes to setup mediabrowser last night...my movies were where they were supposed to be (I have like 10 different categories with different nesting so this is no small bananas to me), all 3 of my emulators just worked.

I'll probably keep both on my computer and have a last go at xbmc this weekend. I want to setup advancedlauncher to startup mediabrowser and run the emulators from that. Or maybe I'll try to setup WMC to have the option of running xbmc.

Hope you have better luck than I. I just keep telling myself....it's all part of the "fun"...much like getting kicked in the nads is the "fun" part of martial arts training.

post #12 of 13 Old 05-19-2012, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

maybe I will try mediabrowser then because I am also confused with what is going on with xbmc, I am also experiencing the problem of not having all of my files showing up.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Any luck?

I figured out most of my issues but I had to change skins to get emulators to work while keeping the menu from freezing up (which seems to only be an issue with running aeon mq3 with fullscreen window).

What do you have your audio output setting as? And how are you bitstreaming (danielaE's patch or audioengine?)

I saw a post on xbmc that audioengine can be buggy with DTS. DanielaE's patch can have issues with DTS-ES unless you make sure you are using WASPI instead of Directshow in audio output setting.

Also try turning on the receiver first and then rebooting the PC. Other than that you can post on xbmc forums, people will ask you for your debug logs. Or setup an external player to use within xbmc and see if the files run properly.

I like having both xbmc and mb just in case, but at the moment, me and xbmc have made up and I love it again....until it breaks.

Reply Home Theater Computers