ATI HDMI loss of sound on receiver input change - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 53 Old 05-14-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
So I've read lots of threads and still can't seem to figure out how to solve this problem. I get the impression I may be able to solve my problem with an EDID override but perhaps I am wrong as I can not figure out how to do it properly. Before I buy the HDMI Detective I am hoping to get some input on what to do here.

I have my PC connected via HDMI (pure HDMI, no DVI-HDMI adaptor) from an HD 6450 to a Denon AVR-591, from there another HDMI to send the video to my Samsung UN55D6500.

The PC runs 24/7 and every time I switch inputs on the receiver to watch my cable box/Xbox/PS3/etc and then switch back to my PC input I get the "Not plugged in" message in Windows for my audio device. It is fixed by a reboot, or unplug/replug the HDMI cable. Obviously those are terrible solutions.

Is this something I should be able to fix without that device? And if so, what are the proper methods? I can't seem to figure it out from the other info I have read so far so hopefully someone can steer my in the right direction. I am quite frustrated at this point.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I have tried disabling the "AMD External Events" service but it did not help. MY current version of AMD VISION Engine Control Center is: 2012.0405.2205.37728
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 13
I've read about using older drivers to fix this issue. Personally, I just switched to a GT430 card. No issues for me anymore.
post #3 of 53 Old 05-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicoquente View Post

Hi guys,
So I've read lots of threads and still can't seem to figure out how to solve this problem. I get the impression I may be able to solve my problem with an EDID override but perhaps I am wrong as I can not figure out how to do it properly. Before I buy the HDMI Detective I am hoping to get some input on what to do here.

I have my PC connected via HDMI (pure HDMI, no DVI-HDMI adaptor) from an HD 6450 to a Denon AVR-591, from there another HDMI to send the video to my Samsung UN55D6500.

The PC runs 24/7 and every time I switch inputs on the receiver to watch my cable box/Xbox/PS3/etc and then switch back to my PC input I get the "Not plugged in" message in Windows for my audio device. It is fixed by a reboot, or unplug/replug the HDMI cable. Obviously those are terrible solutions.

Is this something I should be able to fix without that device? And if so, what are the proper methods? I can't seem to figure it out from the other info I have read so far so hopefully someone can steer my in the right direction. I am quite frustrated at this point.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I have tried disabling the "AMD External Events" service but it did not help. MY current version of AMD VISION Engine Control Center is: 2012.0405.2205.37728

Read here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1409098
post #4 of 53 Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Quiring View Post

Read here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1409098

You sir, are my hero. Thanks so much for that link. I have been losing my mind over this.
post #5 of 53 Old 05-15-2012, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well now I am confused. After doing this it worked like a charm yesterday. I was able to switch inputs and come back to find my audio working perfectly. Today it is no longer working and I am back to the same problem.

Upon reading that thread I used the uninstall programs in control panel to remove all things AMD/ATI and then rebooted. Upon reboot I installed the 12.1 drivers. Was there something more I needed to do or should have done differently? I am at my wits end... any help is GREATLY appreciated!
post #6 of 53 Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Well now I am confused. After doing this it worked like a charm yesterday. I was able to switch inputs and come back to find my audio working perfectly. Today it is no longer working and I am back to the same problem.

Upon reading that thread I used the uninstall programs in control panel to remove all things AMD/ATI and then rebooted. Upon reboot I installed the 12.1 drivers. Was there something more I needed to do or should have done differently? I am at my wits end... any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Yep. But I bet you didnt go into c:\\programs and c:\\program files and delete the AMD folders. I made the same mistake. Also, if you aren't already, run the freeware Ccleaner after removing the program and directories, scrub the registry clean. Restart the computer and then re-install 12.2.

BTW, look at the root of C and you should see the ATI-> supprt. COPY THE 12,2 or which erer PRE 12.4 to another drive before you do all this cleanup. You'll want this so you can avoid downloading all over again.

I keep a folder on one of the drives for the various Catalyst install packages just because their packages can be buggy.

It seems the critical files that AMD 12.4 screws up is the "Intel ATI HDMI support" or something similar in name.

Welcome to the world of AMD software. When it works, it works great. But they seem to have gamers in mind rather than HTPC builders.
post #7 of 53 Old 05-15-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok sounds good. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the tip.
post #8 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

I can't seem to figure this out. I did as your said and it seemed to be good. Every couple hours last evening while watching TV I would switch back to my PC input on the receiver and the audio worked like a charm. Now this afternoon I get home from work and give it a shot and the audio does not work again without a reboot or cable unplug.

Any ideas as to what may cause the error to resurface after longer periods of time but not shorter ones? I have already disabled the AMD External Events service as I thought that might be the cause but it clearly was not.
post #9 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't seem to figure this out. I did as your said and it seemed to be good. Every couple hours last evening while watching TV I would switch back to my PC input on the receiver and the audio worked like a charm. Now this afternoon I get home from work and give it a shot and the audio does not work again without a reboot or cable unplug.

Any ideas as to what may cause the error to resurface after longer periods of time but not shorter ones? I have already disabled the AMD External Events service as I thought that might be the cause but it clearly was not.

Can you confirm your driver version? Start button, control panel, device manager, display adapter, ATI ..., right click for properties, then select the driver tab.
LL
post #10 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Here is my screenshot.
LL
post #11 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here is my screenshot.

Strange same release number but a different date. Did it ever work correctly or did it stop working after the 12.5 release?
post #12 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

It was a brand new setup last week and 12.5 was my first installed driver. I was completely unaware of this problem before I ever did my install.
post #13 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It was a brand new setup last week and 12.5 was my first installed driver. I was completely unaware of this problem before I ever did my install.

I can only guess it's the way you deleted the drivers. There are so many different files involved I would not be surprised that something stuck around from the 12.5 release.

I deleted the drivers from the device manager. The AMD forums recommend a program called Drive-Sweeper to completely remove their drivers.

http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/

AMD thread:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messagevi...ighlight_key=y
post #14 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 PM

I have the same problem with HD7970 and HD 7750 that using 12.4 driver connected to pioneer SC-LX75
I can't go back to 12.3 right?
post #15 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutthilr View Post

I have the same problem with HD7970 and HD 7750 that using 12.4 driver connected to pioneer SC-LX75

All I know for sure is the 12.1 drivers work. I started with the 12.1 which were fine, once I upgraded the sound would stop working when I switched inputs on my Pioneer receiver.
post #16 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is indeed strange. I see Gary recommended you use Drive Sweeper And perhaps it's the only way for you to scrub your registry. But before you do that:

You used Ccleaner, right? You used the registry cleaner, and then deleted all the entries I assume. Did you RE-RUN the registry cleaner again? I've had to do that 2 or 3 times on stubborn programs before in order to completely clean a drive, and it's the only logical explanation I could come up that would explain you still having something in the registry that forced you back to 12.5

I also see you posted this was a fresh install for you. Kinda makes one lose faith in decent card when the software in this convoluted and such a pain in the backside to get working properly.
post #17 of 53 Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutthilr View Post

On AMDs support site there is a link to earlier drivers. I'm running 12.3 with no problems, but I've seen others who use earlier versions. Bear in mind I'm also still on the learning curve and have "AMD gum" stuck to the bottom of my shoes from stepping in it a few times. It's through these forums we all learn, and then come back to help others.

If it matters, Computers with Radeon 5670, 5770, 6450 and a 6670 all on version 12.3. Gigabyte or Asus MOBOs with Intel CPUs. AVRs are Yamahas. Windows Media Center is pretty much as per Assassin's guides.
post #18 of 53 Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 AM

Thank you every one, Now back to 12.3 working properly with HD 7750
Previously I thought it too old for HD 7XXX
post #19 of 53 Old 05-17-2012, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional tips guys. Today I uninstalled the drivers again, deleted the AMD folder, ran CCleaner and did the file and then registry clean 3x each until no results were shown and then used Driver Sweeper to wipe every last audio or video driver that was listed. I used windows search for "AMD" and "ATI" and found nothing.

After that I reinstalled 12.1 and now am hoping for some luck. I'll report back tomorrow to share the results.
post #20 of 53 Old 05-18-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I am happy to say that after all of your wonderful help my system is working as desired now! I can switch inputs and no matter how long it always comes back when I return to the HTPC. Thanks so much guys. I am extremely grateful.
post #21 of 53 Old 05-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

GREAT! Glad you're up and running.
post #22 of 53 Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 AM

Arghhhhh, so my timing is bad to have bought a new receiver LOL

I just knew I couldn't be the only one having this source-switching problem.

Any of you experts willing to give an educated guess on whether ATI will fix this any time soon?

My current work-around is to not power off anything and not switch sources and do the plug-unplug thing when I do. I am lazy enough to live with this for a month or 2 if it's likely to get fixed with just a newer AMD Catalyst/driver package as this is pretty much just a TV room setup anyway.

Thanks
post #23 of 53 Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Online View Post

Any of you experts willing to give an educated guess on whether ATI will fix this any time soon?

My current work-around is to not power off anything and not switch sources and do the plug-unplug thing when I do. I am lazy enough to live with this for a month or 2 if it's likely to get fixed with just a newer AMD Catalyst/driver package as this is pretty much just a TV room setup anyway.

Thanks

Have you tried the steps I did above? It worked like a charm for me and I have no issues at all.

Quote:

Today I uninstalled the drivers again, deleted the AMD folder, ran CCleaner and did the file and then registry clean 3x each until no results were shown and then used Driver Sweeper to wipe every last audio or video driver that was listed. I used windows search for "AMD" and "ATI" and found nothing.

After that I reinstalled 12.1 and now am hoping for some luck. I'll report back tomorrow to share the results.

post #24 of 53 Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Online View Post

Thanks

Don't hold your breath waiting for ATI to fix this issue, they only pay attention to gamers, not home theater applications. Just downgrade the drivers to 12.1 and it's going to work.
post #25 of 53 Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ughhhhhhhhhh.... All of a sudden it this problem has returned out of nowhere. I haven't made any changes to my setup and can not explain why this problem has resurfaced.I thought maybe Catalyst auto updated my drivers or something but I confirmed it is still 12.1. I am beyond annoyed.

Is this problem specific to ATI cards? I am debating switching to a Nvidia if that will fix this.
post #26 of 53 Old 06-13-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Typical with ATI drivers. I echo what an above poster said about gamers getting all the driver love from ATI.

Get the HDMI detective. Or try a different vendor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #27 of 53 Old 06-13-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Typical with ATI drivers. I echo what an above poster said about gamers getting all the driver love from ATI.
Get the HDMI detective. Or try a different vendor.

For my needs I believe a different video card will be far cheaper than the HDMI detective. So it is definitely something that is an ATI problem? And not a general Windows + HDMI issue?
post #28 of 53 Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I have a Denon and use the Intel iGPU and don't have your issues.

No one can guarantee that any specific card + receiver + HDTV + driver combination will be 100% trouble free as there are thousands of potential combinations.

post #29 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 12:55 AM

I have a AMD 6670 and a Denon AVP and can sympathise with your issue having had a similar experience. Over the past month I have experimented with combinations of drivers and have attached details of what works for my system (Cat 12.3 / Audio 7706) Hopefully it will work for you too.

IMHO Changing to Nvidia may resolve your present issue but may well leave you disappointed with your perceived picture quality. For many years I only used Nvidia cards as they worked just fine. It was only when I wanted to perfect 23.976 frame rate operation I was pushed into buying an ATI card and realised the error of my ways. I can't put my finger on it but to my eyes the AMD cards always seem to give the picture more punch.

During the period of trying to resolve my sound loss issue I decided to check if Nvidia had finally improved their video quality and try to resolve my audio issue at the same time. The result was that the audio issue did not appear to be present but the video quality was just how I remembered it. That is it worked just fine but the video did not grab my attention and I was quickly re-packaging the Nvidia card to return to my supplier.

I do not wish this post to be considered an Nvidia bashing post, it is simply my personal experience and that of my close friends that have the same interest.

I do own an Intel system with inbuilt sound & graphics but have never connected to my home theatre system and cannot comment on picture quality.

post #30 of 53 Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would suggest remove current AMD drivers and installing 12.6 Beta drivers.

Prior to these HDMI had problems much as you describe.

There are now 3 flavors of 12.6 beta, I have used the first or oldest but have heard the second worked as well. The third I have no info on.

Rew
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page