Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Numbers are looking good. I wonder if it will output 4K video something ivy bridge can't do.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Be nice to see how it performs the HQV test. After seeing the Ivy Bridge results, I could live with that as long as the once a year driver update didn't leave me with a bug for months. For the non-gaming HTPC I'm not sure what Trinity offers over IB, except more driver support from AMD.
post #4 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Out of the box you get better 23.xxx fps, and possibly 4K. Have to wait for htpc oriented review.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-24-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

Out of the box you get better 23.xxx fps, and possibly 4K. Have to wait for htpc oriented review.

I find it interesting that there's been so few reviews and interest in the part, even considering that all that's been seen is the laptop version so far and I think you can't buy an actual Trinity laptop either yet.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
MBs for the desktop Trinity part are already showing up the intertubes.

Maybe somebody will get in some benchmarks for this Desktop platform.

The first MBs I've seen are from Gigabyte & ECS, and some of the MBs are based on the new super-duper A85X FCH (8 SATA ports, 3 display outputs, RAID5, etc), which I guess makes it a Virgo platform.

The ECS MB picture in this link would really be for a better fit for an HTPC & server, but they have other versions not pictured:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Med...uID=45&LanID=9

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about41279.html

And Computex PR includes this:

"AMD today announced its AMD A-Series APUs (Accelerated Processing Units) are winners of the 2012 Best Choice of COMPUTEX TAIPEI award, the second consecutive win for the product family. The award is given by the Taipei Computer Association, a driving force behind the annual event and the leading technology organization in the country."
post #7 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
tomshardware reports no Trinity desktop until October. Well I'm not waiting any longer, going Intel.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by augerpro View Post

tomshardware reports no Trinity desktop until October. Well I'm not waiting any longer, going Intel.

If that's true, it also means the Ivy Bridge i3s and Pentiums will be out about the same time, including the i3-3225 with HD4000 graphics.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

If that's true, it also means the Ivy Bridge i3s and Pentiums will be out about the same time, including the i3-3225 with HD4000 graphics.

yes, but trinity graphics will still trump HD4000 graphics. Really it looks like the sole improvement in HTPC performance for Ivy over sandy is the ability to run madvr.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro View Post

yes, but trinity graphics will still trump HD4000 graphics. Really it looks like the sole improvement in HTPC performance for Ivy over sandy is the ability to run madvr.

Trump it for what? With MadVR, there's nothing the Intel igpu won't do, and it remains to be seen whether Trinity will actually provide bona fide gaming performance (which is doubtful, since games get ever more complex as Trinity's schedule futher slips out into the future). So what exactly do you get? No advantage for video, and you still need a discrete card to game.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Trump it for what? With MadVR, there's nothing the Intel igpu won't do, and it remains to be seen whether Trinity will actually provide bona fide gaming performance (which is doubtful, since games get ever more complex as Trinity's schedule futher slips out into the future). So what exactly do you get? No advantage for video, and you still need a discrete card to game.

I'm mainly looking at trinity for my laptop, I currently have first gen core i3 so its absolutely useless for games. Trinity should give me a laptop capable of playing games, at a good price, and with decent battery life. Sure I could get an intel/nvidia laptop that will do better but you are probably talking up to twice the price. I'm going to stick with my llano HTPC until it won't do something that I need it to do, whenever that is.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
As pro amd as charlie is he has some good points here about trinity and you can tell AMD still has a lot of performance on the table once you take into account increased TDP on desktop.

I suspect AMD is delaying desktop chips as they know that the sweetspot for trinity is in laptops, ultrabooks etc. That said i think trinity and vishera will be much more competitive with Intel this time around, though obviously they still have a lot of ground to make up.
post #13 of 14 Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

As pro amd as charlie is he has some good points here about trinity and you can tell AMD still has a lot of performance on the table once you take into account increased TDP on desktop.
I suspect AMD is delaying desktop chips as they know that the sweetspot for trinity is in laptops, ultrabooks etc. That said i think trinity and vishera will be much more competitive with Intel this time around, though obviously they still have a lot of ground to make up.

Yup, I agree. AMD should focus on using their production capability to crank out laptop versions of trinity. They have a pretty good chance of moving a lot of product in this category where as they are going loose out pretty big to intel on the desktop front. There just really isn't any compelling reason to get an AMD desktop setup and as we know HTPC is a tiny, tiny portion of the market. One exception might be a asrock trinity mini system(aka mac mini knock off), but again this would use the mobile trinity chip.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-10-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Trump it for what? With MadVR, there's nothing the Intel igpu won't do,

Intel iGPU will not do decent frame interpolation as compared to Trinity. Granted, Trinity wouldn't be a whole lot better at it either, but Trinity would "trump" the Intel offering. :P

I just don't know why all of these battles are going on about which iGPU is the best. We are talking about low-end graphic capabilities, which might be fine for some playback scenarios, but really is still a poor selection for power users, or those who still want to squeeze/tweak every last bit of goodness out of a HTPC's abilities. I've not conceded to low end CE devices yet.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page