post #31 of 35 Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Samsung hard drive division being bought by Seagate...well it might not be the same quality. I looked over at newegg for the Samsung 2tb I had bought about a year and a half ago and saw many user reviews commenting that they aren't the same quality. Mentioned clicking noises...

I've read these reviews the made in China parts makes me nervous w/ Samsung.isn't Samsung a Japanise co.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkc View Post

I ordered HDD from NE many times and never have any problem. If you don't want to take a chance and if you have Fry's nears by they do internet price match and you can pick one up there for the same price as NE.

good suggestion however Frys charges tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Ordered from NE, ordered from Amazon, ordered from some other online places over the years, purchased bulk and boxed at Micro Center, used to buy bulk at Market Pro computer shows. Never have had a problem with shipping or packaging with any of them. I'm not convinced they are as delicate as is being suggested in this thread.

My brands of choice for quite a while has been Hitachi (The Hitachi 5K3000 Coolspin drives are terrific.) followed by Samsung. Figure those two would be the ones swallowed up by WD and Seagate. I expect Samsung's drive business to suffer a fate similar to Conner and other brands that Seagate has purchase over time. Enjoy them while you can.

I've been waiting on the Hitachi 5K3000 to be in stock at NE isn't Hitachi the largest Japanise co. in Japan producing just about anykindof product?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

I just had two Seagate drives delivered from Newegg today - each was in an anti-static bag with plastic shells on either end, encased in a thick cardboard box, keeping the drive nicely suspended. Those two boxes were then wrapped in packing paper in a much larger box.

this is good to know the packaging has improved over a HDD in bubble wrape only. did the box have fragile printed on it?

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

I've read these reviews the made in China parts makes me nervous w/ Samsung.isn't Samsung a Japanise co.?

good suggestion however Frys charges tax.

I've been waiting on the Hitachi 5K3000 to be in stock at NE isn't Hitachi the largest Japanise co. in Japan producing just about anykindof product?

this is good to know the packaging has improved over a HDD in bubble wrape only. did the box have fragile printed on it?

Samsung is a South Korean Co. that manufactures the majority of its products in China, a country that supports North Korea which is in a state of war with South Korea, and its bent on its destruction. Talk about irony

Cheers
post #33 of 35 Old 05-18-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

They ALL have Chinese parts and I think they are all made in China, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia.

You weren't expecting to find one made in the US or Germany were you?
post #34 of 35 Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank a lot everyone!

While I don't have a Fry's or Microcenter near me, there is a BestBuy that is, I checked with them and they have both a WD Green & Seagate 1TB hard drive for $94.99 each. $94.99 for a drive seems about the same as online, so I'll probably just buy locally as suggested above. Seeing how well everyone's experience was with Newegg, I feel a lot safer now about order the other computer parts through them.

BTW, in general how are the Seagate hard drives compared to WDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

They ALL have Chinese parts and I think they are all made in China, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia.

You weren't expecting to find one made in the US or Germany were you?

Between 1990 & 2000 all Western Digitals were made in Singapore, I don't know about recent drives though...
post #35 of 35 Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie20 View Post

Thank a lot everyone!

While I don't have a Fry's or Microcenter near me, there is a BestBuy that is, I checked with them and they have both a WD Green & Seagate 1TB hard drive for $94.99 each. $94.99 for a drive seems about the same as online, so I'll probably just buy locally as suggested above. Seeing how well everyone's experience was with Newegg, I feel a lot safer now about order the other computer parts through them.

BTW, in general how are the Seagate hard drives compared to WDs?

Between 1990 & 2000 all Western Digitals were made in Singapore, I don't know about recent drives though...

They had a lot of capacity shut down in the Thailand flood, so apparently Thailand is a major assembly location.

But the parts come from China and elsewhere in Asia.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page