Auto Log On with Remote Desktop? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
That looks like it could be exactly what I need!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 06-08-2012, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby Baker View Post

I use concurrent RDP on my Media Center PC with no issues at all. But I dont RDP in to the MC interface, I log in to a second desktop, so the MC interface runs all the time on the TV and TV viewers never know I have logged in/out. Not sure what about this is a PITA though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

So you log in over a network using Microsoft's RDP? Is there a tutorial on doing this?

Quote:

I use Missing Remote's guide, and install with the -multi option.

HTPC's Media Center UI is logged in with my account, and then I can log in with Remote Desktop from another computer on my network (of internet if I passed the port to the HTPC) with my account as well. Media Center is never interrupted, and I get a normal windows desktop on my RDP connection. I will say though, I do not start Media Center from the startup tray, I manually start it with the remote's green button whenever I reboot.

Quote:

Thanks!

I'm about to do this. So which computer do you install the hack on?

Also does it work with LiveTV going?

post #33 of 47 Old 06-08-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

Try? Not worth it? Just use the Termserv.dll patcher. It's like two clicks and it's done. There's nothing to try to get working, it just does.

Anybody using this?

post #34 of 47 Old 06-08-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you wanting to remote login and see the MC interface? That is not what I do. I use it to login to a 2nd desktop so that I can control applications and make changes behind the scenes of MC. The -multi option is what i use for this. I have remote logged into my HTPC this way with 4 recordings going and live TV viewing and never had an issue. But again, I am logging into a 2nd desktop session and not viewing MC interface with the remote login.
post #35 of 47 Old 06-08-2012, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

2nd desktop so that I can control applications and make changes behind the scenes of MC.

^^ This.

So which computer do you install the hack on?

post #36 of 47 Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2nd desktop so that I can control applications and make changes behind the scenes of MC.
^^ This.
So which computer do you install the hack on?

The target machine, HTPC, the one you will connect TO.
post #37 of 47 Old 06-08-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anybody using this?

the problem with this hack is that I think you have to log in remotely as a different user. Go to that link, and you will see 2 different users logged in. The one I linked at missingremote allows you to log in as the same user 2 times. This way, you dont have to fish around to a 2nd users downloads/desktop etc. As I log in my HTPC with an admin account and run MC on it, I then log in remotely in that admin account and have the desktop that MC was started on (less MC UI). This option works best for me. But you may prefer to do it with different users. Just my $0.02.
post #38 of 47 Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'll check it out later today and report back.

post #39 of 47 Old 06-08-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't had a chance to install this yet but have a question. Do I set up another administrator / user in my HTPC for this?

post #40 of 47 Old 06-09-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't had a chance to install this yet but have a question. Do I set up another administrator / user in my HTPC for this?
Nope
post #41 of 47 Old 06-09-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the problem with this hack is that I think you have to log in remotely as a different user. Go to that link, and you will see 2 different users logged in. The one I linked at missingremote allows you to log in as the same user 2 times. This way, you dont have to fish around to a 2nd users downloads/desktop etc. As I log in my HTPC with an admin account and run MC on it, I then log in remotely in that admin account and have the desktop that MC was started on (less MC UI). This option works best for me. But you may prefer to do it with different users. Just my $0.02.

I installed it. Now it wants a password at the log in screen using RDP which I don't have because I've disabled passwords.

I tried both "install multi" and "install blank" from an elevated command prompt at the "C:\Win7RDP" directory where the "install.exe" file has been placed per the missing remote guide. I am getting a return notification: ' "install" is not reconized is an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'

post #42 of 47 Old 06-09-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I installed it. Now it wants a password at the log in screen using RDP which I don't have because I've disabled passwords.
I tried both "install multi" and "install blank" from an elevated command prompt at the "C:\Win7RDP" directory where the "install.exe" file has been placed per the missing remote guide. I am getting a return notification: ' "install" is not reconized is an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.'

So in your c:\win7rdp directory, did you confirm that install.cmd is there (doing a dir listing, or explorer view)? Sounds like it isnt there.

Once you install and get successful results, if it still asks for a password, then check in your remote desktop connection option and un-select 'always ask for credentials'.
post #43 of 47 Old 06-09-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I restored it to earlier today and did it again, this time from an elevated command prompt with the "multi" switch. I already had two administrator accounts on my HTPC. It is working fine using my KVM switch right now and I'm about to put it in the media cabinet right now.

post #44 of 47 Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay. It is in the media center and hooked up. I'm posting this from a remote session in my office while LiveTV is playing in the family room..

SWEET!

post #45 of 47 Old 06-11-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

Using the method of having the same user logged in twice can cause issues with auto-run type programs. It will try to run a program already running and one of the two will crap out. I think back in the day my SoundGraph iMon program would error out. There were other issues, but I've since reinstalled and use plain RDP with Win7 Ultimate on the HTPC. Doing this keeps me from tinkering too much with the HTPC since I need to wait for TV downtime to mess around. Also, having a server lets me do file management tasks and such outside of the HTPC. I also RDP into the server as well...

post #46 of 47 Old 06-11-2012, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm using different Administrator accounts but have discovered that some settings cannot be adjusted in the HTPC/Administrator account when using the Admin/Administrator account. For those, I'll just have to wait until the TV is off. No biggie there.

post #47 of 47 Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I guess I dont run anything that causes an issue, as I never have any crashes or weird app problems using the same admin account locally and remotely. YMMV.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page