Comcast to start charging $10/50GB over 300GB - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have their "Performance" service (10Mpbs, 20Mbps with "Powerboost"), and I routinely get a constant 20-25Mbps. (2-2.5MB/s downloads -> adding 2bits per byte for packet overhead).

If you're not getting advertised speed, have them come and check the line. If the line is good, then buy a modem. When I did that, my speeds literally doubled. The modems they rent are junk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

In UK the lowest internet speed offered by Virgin Broadband is 30mbps for £14.50 a month. Lowest speed offered by comcrap Economy Plus @ 3 Mbps and uploads up to 768 Kbps for $29.95/mos.

The UK allows other providers to use British Telecom lines. That greatly increases competition and lowers prices. In the US, if a competitor wanted to come in (assuming laws changed to allow more than one cable provider in an area), they'd have to run a complete network first.

My choices of internet access right now are Comcast Cable, 20Mbps @ $60/mo (without TV) or Verizon DSL, 1-3Mbps @ $30/mo. Without the competition, the prices will stay high. If I could get FiOS, it would be 15Mbps @ $55/mo (with price hikes coming).

The price may be high, but Comcast is the best deal out there.
post #33 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

I have their "Performance" service (10Mpbs, 20Mbps with "Powerboost"), and I routinely get a constant 20-25Mbps. (2-2.5MB/s downloads -> adding 2bits per byte for packet overhead).

If you're not getting advertised speed, have them come and check the line. If the line is good, then buy a modem. When I did that, my speeds literally doubled. The modems they rent are junk.

Be sure to browse their website for the latest speeds for your area. I had Blast and I think it was 20/3Mbps and noticed one day they were selling it as 30/6Mbps. Did a speedtest and was getting my old speed, rebooted my modem and now get 30/4 (36/6 boosted).

post #34 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

I tried to dl 300GBs in a week last month. Now I have carpal tunnel, I'm still exhausted, and my eye sight has not returned.

On the plus side, you have ample plugs available for a hair transplant operation for when your hair starts thinning.
post #35 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovence View Post

I have "30Mbps" Blast from Comcast plan. I'v never never never seen anything near there downloading. I'v have seen quite a bit on newsgroups. But never anything else. Your numbers assume you have a solid 10 Mbps all day. Its just not happening. You might see 10% or 20% of that total speed.

If you're getting 10-20% of your speed on a consistent basis, I'd be raising holy hell with the provider. When I had Comcast, I would routinely get 80+% for most larger downloads from sites that had the bandwidth to server me a file that fast. Newsgroups always would max out the connection. Same with Frontier FiOS now.
post #36 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

If you're getting 10-20% of your speed on a consistent basis, I'd be raising holy hell with the provider. When I had Comcast, I would routinely get 80+% for most larger downloads from sites that had the bandwidth to server me a file that fast. Newsgroups always would max out the connection. Same with Frontier FiOS now.

I'm just assuming he either means 80-90% (10-20% reduction) or doesn't understand bits and bytes which would be 12.5%.

post #37 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Basic Comcast is what 10 Mbps? 10 Mbps is 0.00122 GB/s x 60 seconds = 0.0732 Gb/min x 60 = 4.392 Gb/hr x 24 = 105.408 GB/day x 7 = 737.856 Gb/week...

I already gave an explanation of why that would never happen. There are VERY few sites that will let you download at max speed and then there is peak time, youd need a torrent with a ton of seeds or the rare unthrottled server. My max speed is 1.5MB/s and I really only see that on torrents, nearly all download servers on the web seem to be throttled to around 245k/s per connection (and thats a high number these days, Im seeing more and more downloads as slow as 60k/s).
post #38 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 11:15 AM

Liked: 12
i suggest that any Comcast customers that still have the old small rectangular modems go and swap them out for the new DOCSIS III ones they offer. i have the 10MB 'performance' level but was getting 24-25MB and the modem was choking on that much data. did the free swap (its a DOCSIS III modem/N-wifi router) and everything is much smoother and much more stable
post #39 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

Raises hand. Found Sickbeard and wanted to catch up on a few series.

Ditto. Heaviest month ever was 2.1Tb. Average is usually around 200Gb.
post #40 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 12:48 PM

Liked: 12
I'm glad I got rid of comcast when i did and made the switch to RCN. Unfortunately, the city of philadelphia feels that competition amongst providers is a bad idea so the city council denied them an operating agreement to build in philly. I imagine the money coming there way from comcast was a major factor.

Anyways, out in the southeast suburbs of Philadelphia, RCN is providing service. I was thinking about moving into the main city but hearing about comcast's stupid cap, in addition to their more expensive and more crappy internet is making me seriously rethink moving.

I believe that comcast offers tiers of 20mbps (30 per month), 30mbps (50 per month), 50mbps (115/month), 105mbps (200/month). These are 6 month promo rates.

RCN offers 50mbps (40 per month), and 75mbps (50 per month). This is the one year price but they have a 3 year price guarantee with no contract. The year 2 and 3 prices go up about 10 bucks which isn't nearly as bad as when you get off comcast promo rates. ALSO NO CAP! When I check my speed over a hard wired computer, I actually get near 50mbps.

Fios rates in philly are even higher than comcast, their 50mbps plan is 140.00!!!! a hundred more than RCN per month. If I buy it, Charlize Theron better come over and install it for me.

Currently I get the mid tier cable package (214 channels, 63 HD) with tivo premiere, and the 50mbps internet for less than 90 a month...did I mention no cap?

Comcast sucks.

Reply Home Theater Computers