Comcast to start charging $10/50GB over 300GB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 05-17-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 169
So dslreports gets their servers put back together just in time to tell us this..

I can gobble up 300GB in a week.. Easy. The pipe is there already. The isp's are just raping us!

Quote:

Comcast says they're exploring two options:
The first new approach will offer multi-tier usage allowances that incrementally increase usage allotments for each tier of high-speed data service from the current threshold. Thus, we'd start with a 300 GB usage allotment for our Internet Essentials, Economy, and Performance Tiers, and then we would have increasing data allotments for each successive tier of high speed data service (e.g., Blast and Extreme). The very few customers who use more data at each tier can buy additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 for 50 GB).

The second new approach will increase our data usage thresholds for all tiers to 300 GB per month and also offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 per 50 GB). In both approaches, we'll be increasing the initial data usage threshold for our customers from today's 250 GB per month to at least 300 GB per month. In markets where we are not trialing a new data usage management approach, we will suspend enforcement of our current usage cap as we transition to a new data usage management approach, although we will continue to contact the very small number of excessive users about their usage.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/C...ge-Fees-119581

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 05-17-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So they're currently testing two new approaches. The first one puts a 300GB cap for regular plans, and higher caps for more expensive plans (Blast and Extreme). The second puts a 300GB cap on all plans. Both offer additional data for $10/50GB.

I do heavy Netflix streaming and rarely approach the 250GB soft cap, so I'm not too worried. Last I checked, I was averaging about 60GB per month.

With that said, I'd much rather see throttling for heavy users than a cap with overage charges. It makes more sense from a technological standpoint, since, as you say, the pipe is there. Total monthly amounts are absolutely meaningless. Still, the overage price is reasonable. In fact, I wish the cell providers would start lowering their prices. The best deal right now is T-Mobile's prepaid 100minute/unlim text/5GB before throttling plan for $30. That's $6/GB. Comcast's is only $0.50/GB.
post #3 of 40 Old 05-17-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm with Charter and I hope they follow a different path. Right now they don't even have a bandwidth monitor in place but I can monitor it with my router... I've even done 300GB in a day. Throttling is out of the question for me? Why slow down the service I already pay A LOT for?

Caps and overages? It does not cost one cent more for the isp's to provide it as the network is already there. It is only about lifting more $$$ out of the consumer's bank account and nothing else at all.

post #4 of 40 Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Seeing as how comcast already has a 250GB cap I can't really see how this is rape. Like spivonious I use streaming a lot (Amazon VOD) as well as downloading loads of other stuff and I average about 70-80GB per month.
post #5 of 40 Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thank god I don't have Comcast. That's absurd. I can understand limiting usage in peek hours, that's completely reasonable, but late at night and early in the morning there should be no limits. That would be the perfect compromise between ISP's and the users.
post #6 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Waaaaaaaaaa! I get 5GB a month and it's an extra $10 for every 1GB over. Try that out for a couple of months and see how you feel about your 300GB limit then.

The internet is not a magical kingdom run by gods & fairies, it's a business and bandwidth costs money.

post #7 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I still can't see how anyone could be using 300GB in a day and not be pirating movies.
post #8 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 06:16 AM

Liked: 11
I just recently switched from ATT DSL to Comcast so the move from a 150GB cap to a 250GB cap gave me a lot more breathing room. I don't have any pay TV so most of my viewing is via Hulu, Youtube, Netflix, etc. but I don't think I could get close to the 250GB cap unless I tried really hard. Unless you're running a business or downloading full bluray rips or something I can't see how you would hit the cap in a day.

I still believe that internet caps are BS though as it's not like it's a finite resource that needs rationing like water or electricity. This is pure corporate greed on the part of these ISPs. I still believe that some sort of throttling during peak hours starting with your heaviest users and shifting around so that not only they are penalized for using the pipes during primetime would be better. Plus what happened to all the tax payer money these ISPs were given to improve their infrastructure?

Even though America is a lot bigger than some of your smaller countries like Korea that have superfast, cheap internet I still believe it should be possible to have reasonably priced superfast internet in major metropolitan areas and fast internet in other more remote areas if these companies weren't so greedy and trying to bleed consumers for every penny.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #9 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I've even done 300GB in a day.

300GB/day... really!?!?!
post #10 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have an engineering side business and sometimes need to transfer large drawing files but have residential service. It is very rare but sometimes I do send or receive them. I'm exagerating too. I rarely go over 300Gb in a month.

post #11 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I DON'T pirate movies and I often find the 250 GB a bit tight. The main reason is that at my school all the lectures are podcasted, and we have the option to view them at home instead of going to class. For some reason they are not compressed much (maybe to make the text on powerpoint slides more readable) and the files are quite large.

I just say this because I often hear people say things like "only people that pirate movies use over 250 GB a month." We live in an increasingly digital world, and the internet is used for many, many different things.

As for the new policy, I don't think it's that bad. They are adding 50 GB for everyone without upping the price, and the additional $10 per 50 GB is not all that bad. If you regularly consume a ton of data, then you have the option of a business account, which doesn't have a limit. I looked into this, and you don't really need to have a business to get one.
post #12 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have an engineering side business and sometimes need to transfer large drawing files but have residential service. It is very rare but sometimes I do send or receive them. I'm exagerating too. I rarely go over 300Gb in a month.

That's all fine and I'm not asking for you to legitimize your data use, but 300GB/day would be HUGE for a home user.
post #13 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I envision a day when the isp's won't be selling speed tiers and everybody will get the highest speed they have available but will be paying a metered rate or will have a tiered meter rate based on the speed you want (probably more likely as it means more $$ for the isp's).

I don't think that will be very far off.

post #14 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 6 Pack:
I still believe that internet caps are BS though as it's not like it's a finite resource that needs rationing like water or electricity.

Unfortunately bandwidth is related to installed infrastructure. And infrastructure is capital investment. Companies are very reluctant to make capital investments and would rather ration their product instead. For example electric companies will prompt conservation programs to reduce the amount of electrical power need to avoid building new power plants.

Sony KDL-42V4100 LCD TV, Yamaha RX-V665 AV receiver, Sony PS3 slim, Klipsch F-30 speaker system
post #15 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Yeah, but didn't the government give these ISPs a substantial amount of taxpayer money for them to improve their infrastructure. Besides FIOS rolling out in limited markets, I haven't seen any huge increase in speeds for general consumers as DSL was still capped at 6Mbps when I canceled and Uverse wasn't available in my neighborhood and their speeds weren't even that impressive.

Cable seems to have the best speeds based on what's available to me but their higher tier stuff is pretty expensive since it's $200 a month for 105Mbps. You would think they would have used that money along with some of their own to bring higher speed internet to more people at a reasonable price but it looks like they just pocketed the cash and decided to implement bandwith caps instead.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #16 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 View Post

300GB/day... really!?!?!

Raises hand. Found Sickbeard and wanted to catch up on a few series. I ♥ Frontier (for now).
post #17 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 18
It shouldn't matter what people are doing with it. You pay for a certain speed, and that should be it. Internet is not something finite. You don't use up all the internets and then they have to refill them once a month.

The very idea of data caps is about as stupid as the idea that you buy a DVD, and then pay a rental fee every time you put it in the player. Did you buy the DVD or not? Are you paying for 6MB or not? Comcast shouldn't offer 6 or 16 or 600mbps if they can't provide it. Don't give me a speed tier and then tell me I can only use so much. That's rubbish. Your bandwidth or infrastructure issue is your own problem. You pay to fix it, and if you need to charge me more, do that, but don't cite a finite amount of data as a means to do that. It's a canard.

What I do with my internet is my business. Any time you have to try and justify what you do with a service you're paying for, you're arguing strawmen, and explaining something that is no one's GD business. (IMO)

The fact that Comcast has everyone arguing about how much data they "should" or "shouldn't" be using is funny to me, because they got you.

Copyright infringement and the ridiculous nature of some copyright laws is an entirely different matter.
post #18 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:

I envision a day when the isp's won't be selling speed tiers and everybody will get the highest speed they have available but will be paying a metered rate or will have a tiered meter rate based on the speed you want (probably more likely as it means more $$ for the isp's).

I don't think that will be very far off.

I do. Why give everyone the highest tier speeds when you can make them pay for faster tiers. And still bill by the byte!

How many years have they been trying to get usage metering going? And how many providers have successfully implemented a usage meter that was actually accurate? I've never seen one that someone has claimed to be accurate. Comcast stated usage sometimes was significantly less than what Tomato reported on my router. Sometimes it was the opposite.

It's all a money grab. If bandwidth hogs were so unprofitable for the system it would have been metered long ago. Yet cable companies aren't exactly struggling lately. I don't blame them for wanting to make money. Or more money then they want now. But metered billing is by no means a sure thing in the future.
post #19 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 PM

Data caps make sense because bandwidth is not free or unlimited. However, bandwidth is cheap these days. So it makes no sense to offer such a small package.
post #20 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
It is odd that as we move towards cloud storage and doing things online, ISPs are restricting it with data caps. In several markets they know they are the only game in town, so they can and do charge as they please and concoct up newer ways to milk their consumers out of more money.
post #21 of 40 Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Yeah, but didn't the government give these ISPs a substantial amount of taxpayer money for them to improve their infrastructure.

No, no they didn't. The money was not to improve but rather to expand...into the more rural areas.
Quote:

it looks like they just pocketed the cash

Pretty much...they didn't do the hiring they were supposed to, just have the same amount of workers, working even harder and pocketing the leftovers...
Quote:

You pay for a certain speed, and that should be it.

Unfortunately, this topic is about bandwidth and not the speed of said bandwidth.
post #22 of 40 Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I think it is a better approach than making everyone pay more, even if they don't use the max. My parents may use 1Gb per month. They are light e-mail users and infrequent facebook visitors (check up on pictures of grand kids).

So, I would applaud if they can get in on a $10/month plan, since their useage is FAR below the 300 Gb that some people are maxing out on. But, Time Warner won't let them have Internet for less than $30/month, probably because that way my parents are subsidizing the guy next door who is using up more than 300 Gb of data, and they just average it all out.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #23 of 40 Old 05-21-2012, 02:08 PM

realistically I dont think its possible to download 300gbs in a week, with peak bandwidth limitations and other factors its just not fast enough unless really lucky with servers and location, I could do it if I had a constant 1MB/s connection but what are the odds of that? usually it degrades to like 300k/s which is too slow to transfer that much data so fast. It definitely isnt possible to upload that much, with the slow upload speeds it probably isnt even possible to upload at max speed for the entire month and hit 300gbs.

$10 for an extra 50gbs actually sounds pretty good, other cable companies are not nearly as kind with their tiered plans. They were also nice enough to only charge you when you go over, usually theyll make you sign up for the extra bandwidth whether you use it or not like an insurance policy.
post #24 of 40 Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousdude View Post

Data caps make sense because bandwidth is not free or unlimited. However, bandwidth is cheap these days. So it makes no sense to offer such a small package.

You consider 300gb month "small"? What do you consider reasonable?

I doubt if 1 in 1000 customers uses anything close to 300gb/month.

Now the amounts on the typical wireless plan are ridiculously small, but 300gb/month doesn't exactly offend me (although I think they should always have an "unlimited" plan available at some reasonable price).
post #25 of 40 Old 05-21-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

realistically I dont think its possible to download 300gbs in a week, with peak bandwidth limitations and other factors its just not fast enough unless really lucky with servers and location

$10 for an extra 50gbs actually sounds pretty good, other cable companies are not nearly as kind with their tiered plans. They were also nice enough to only charge you when you go over, usually theyll make you sign up for the extra bandwidth whether you use it or not like an insurance policy.

I tried to dl 300GBs in a week last month. Now I have carpal tunnel, I'm still exhausted, and my eye sight has not returned.

post #26 of 40 Old 05-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

In UK the lowest internet speed offered by Virgin Broadband is 30mbps for £14.50 a month. Lowest speed offered by comcrap Economy Plus @ 3 Mbps and uploads up to 768 Kbps for $29.95/mos.
post #27 of 40 Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post

realistically I dont think its possible to download 300gbs in a week, with peak bandwidth limitations and other factors its just not fast enough unless really lucky with servers and location, I could do it if I had a constant 1MB/s connection but what are the odds of that? usually it degrades to like 300k/s which is too slow to transfer that much data so fast. It definitely isnt possible to upload that much, with the slow upload speeds it probably isnt even possible to upload at max speed for the entire month and hit 300gbs.

Basic Comcast is what 10 Mbps? 10 Mbps is 0.00122 GB/s x 60 seconds = 0.0732 Gb/min x 60 = 4.392 Gb/hr x 24 = 105.408 GB/day x 7 = 737.856 Gb/week...

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #28 of 40 Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Basic Comcast is what 10 Mbps? 10 Mbps is 0.00122 GB/s x 60 seconds = 0.0732 Gb/min x 60 = 4.392 Gb/hr x 24 = 105.408 GB/day x 7 = 737.856 Gb/week...

I have "30Mbps" Blast from Comcast plan. I'v never never never seen anything near there downloading. I'v have seen quite a bit on newsgroups. But never anything else. Your numbers assume you have a solid 10 Mbps all day. Its just not happening. You might see 10% or 20% of that total speed.
post #29 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovence View Post

I have "30Mbps" Blast from Comcast plan. I'v never never never seen anything near there downloading. I'v have seen quite a bit on newsgroups. But never anything else. Your numbers assume you have a solid 10 Mbps all day. Its just not happening. You might see 10% or 20% of that total speed.

True. I have been spoiled by FIOS for the last 5 years. Even though we pay for the 15/5 package, the speeds are constantly 20/5. When I "obtain movies" from a famous Sweedish website that has a pirate ship as their logo, it takes about 10 minutes to download a 1 - 1.5 Gb "file" from a large seed. Fewer seeds usually means it takes longer to download, since I am limited by their upload capability.

post #30 of 40 Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovence View Post

I get full speed out of my Blast 30 Mbps connection. I even get more with PowerBoost. I can sustain ~3.7 MBps as noted by SABNZBD+. I actually have it throttled down to 2.5 MBps during normal hours and full open after 2am, then throttled back to 2.5 MBps around 6am.

If you are having poor results then you should call Comcast for a service call.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page