Black Screen Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I posted this over at GreenButtonTV too...

I'm looking for help and didn't see my exact issue in any of the other threads.

I have HD3450 Radeon graphics. I leave my PC on 24/7. I only power cycle the display (Vizio 47" LCD) and AVR through a programmed Logitech remote. The PC runs screensaver when no WMC activity is on-going. I have power settings set to Turn Off Display - Never, Put System to Sleep - Never. This used to work well for me until recently I installed the Ceton PCIe card and cable card. Now all of a sudden when I turn off the monitor (I do NOT run video through the AVR) and I go to run WMC7 after periods of inactivity (like system off over night) it comes back up to a black screen.

Thinking it was an EDID issue, I created a custom EDID using Moninfo. That didn't help. I thought then it must be ATI drivers. I loaded new 12.4 drivers. That didn't fix it. I rolled back to 10.7 (which were working just fine up to this problem). That didn't help either. I reloaded 12.4 drivers. Still no love.

What I am doing now is exiting out of WMC to the desktop on end of each use. If I do this everything comes back up just fine on next use. No problems with black screen. So I'm thinking mine is either a registry issue or corruption issue with eHome shell. Further support of this notion is that if I receive the black screen on display power-up while WMC is running and I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV then plug it back in, I get display but the resolution has changed (lower than 1920x1080). Something changes the resolution when the display is not present eventhough the screensaver is still running on the PC. Once I plug in the cable and the display is detected again, I exit out of WMC to the desktop. I restart WMC and all is good again. WMC comes back up at 1920x1080. So in either case, it requires that I exit out of WMC and restart it (no hard boot is required). I can either exit WMC and leave the system at desktop or I can leave WMC running but on next use after display is turned on I must unplug the HDMI cable, replug, get bad resolution and restart WMC, then all is good.

What could be causing this? It must only be WMC because it does not exhibit this behavior with just Win7 desktop and same settings. Is this a registry issue? Is eHome corrupt and I need to reload? Any suggestions? Help.

EZed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by edyohome View Post

I have HD3450 Radeon graphics. I leave my PC on 24/7. I only power cycle the display (Vizio 47" LCD) and AVR through a programmed Logitech remote. The PC runs screensaver when no WMC activity is on-going. I have power settings set to Turn Off Display - Never, Put System to Sleep - Never. This used to work well for me until recently I installed the Ceton PCIe card and cable card. Now all of a sudden when I turn off the monitor (I do NOT run video through the AVR) and I go to run WMC7 after periods of inactivity (like system off over night) it comes back up to a black screen.

Thinking it was an EDID issue, I created a custom EDID using Moninfo. That didn't help. I thought then it must be ATI drivers. I loaded new 12.4 drivers. That didn't fix it. I rolled back to 10.7 (which were working just fine up to this problem). That didn't help either. I reloaded 12.4 drivers. Still no love.

What I am doing now is exiting out of WMC to the desktop on end of each use. If I do this everything comes back up just fine on next use. No problems with black screen. So I'm thinking mine is either a registry issue or corruption issue with eHome shell. Further support of this notion is that if I receive the black screen on display power-up while WMC is running and I unplug the HDMI cable from the TV then plug it back in, I get display but the resolution has changed (lower than 1920x1080). Something changes the resolution when the display is not present eventhough the screensaver is still running on the PC. Once I plug in the cable and the display is detected again, I exit out of WMC to the desktop. I restart WMC and all is good again. WMC comes back up at 1920x1080. So in either case, it requires that I exit out of WMC and restart it (no hard boot is required). I can either exit WMC and leave the system at desktop or I can leave WMC running but on next use after display is turned on I must unplug the HDMI cable, replug, get bad resolution and restart WMC, then all is good.

What could be causing this? It must only be WMC because it does not exhibit this behavior with just Win7 desktop and same settings. Is this a registry issue? Is eHome corrupt and I need to reload? Any suggestions? Help.

So I am still having this sometimes, but VNC recommendation just discussed here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1410978

Made it a lot better. At least it won't change resolutions on you.

I have also found that when this happens, hitting alt-ctrl-del then cancel will also get the screen back. Considering make a remote control macro to do this

xnappo
post #3 of 32 Old 05-17-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked: 10
X,
Try uninstalling all ATI sound and video drivers and software from your machine, then reinstall. Do this via sound properties, uninstall drivers as well as uninstall in programs. Once you've done this go back and download ATI 12.3 drivers or anything other than 12.4, which has proven to be buggy. Lastly, I recommend you disable all screensavers. Instead, try to set your tv to either turn off the screen or go blank after a specified period of inactivity.
Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
post #4 of 32 Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have this same exact issue except I do run through my AVR. I have the geffen hdmi detective which helps, UNLESS something is recording or has recorded then I get black screen. Its very strange.
post #5 of 32 Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

The only thing that I haven't tried yet is the map Alt-F4 to a button on the Harmony remote. It requires writing an inf script and then assigning it to one of the unused buttons on the MC remote then remap that to the Harmony. Seems a bit out of the way to just exit out of Media Center. Thinking there should be an easier way to do that too.

I've tried the uninstall ATI drivers - rolled back to 10.7 were the last ones that were working good for me (and had worked good for excess of a year prior to this).

I'm gonna try the change resolution while set to lower resolution suggestion next but will have to wait til it happens again which means let it sit overnight, I'll let you know the outcome - if that works

Otherwise, I'll just make it precedent to exit out of Media Center everytime I get ready to shut down.

EZed
post #6 of 32 Old 05-18-2012, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Seems a bit out of the way to just exit out of Media Center. Thinking there should be an easier way to do that too.

There are lots of power options within Media Center which are accessible from a remote. Use the arrow keys on a remote/KB and navigate to 'Settings', a 'Left' press and 'Ok/Enter' press brings up the 'Tasks' options. From here, press 'Ok' again to close MC or scroll right to put the PC in Standby/Sleep, Shut Down, Log Off or Restart. All of these can be done with the use of 'Arrow' & 'Ok' Keys (which I assume your remote has).
I do it every time and it takes less than 2 seconds.
post #7 of 32 Old 05-18-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

There are lots of power options within Media Center which are accessible from a remote. Use the arrow keys on a remote/KB and navigate to 'Settings', a 'Left' press and 'Ok/Enter' press brings up the 'Tasks' options. From here, press 'Ok' again to close MC or scroll right to put the PC in Standby/Sleep, Shut Down, Log Off or Restart. All of these can be done with the use of 'Arrow' & 'Ok' Keys (which I assume your remote has).
I do it every time and it takes less than 2 seconds.

Yeah, that'll have high WAF...

xnappo
post #8 of 32 Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Try disabling the ATI/AMD External Events service (or whatever it's called now). This helps a lot of people with 'black screen' issues. Later drivers added an 'ATI FUEL' service as well, which I think is ok to leave running.
post #9 of 32 Old 05-18-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Yeah, that'll have high WAF...
xnappo

Maybe, maybe not; but that wasn't the question.
OP mentioned closing MC without using the 'Alt+F4' shortcut, for which he would have to write a script. And its not necessary since MC can be shut down using a few clicks of the remote.
Are you trying to tell us that a woman cannot use a remote to navigate MC?
My wife can and does.
post #10 of 32 Old 05-18-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Maybe, maybe not; but that wasn't the question.
OP mentioned closing MC without using the 'Alt+F4' shortcut, for which he would have to write a script. And its not necessary since MC can be shut down using a few clicks of the remote.
Are you trying to tell us that a woman cannot use a remote to navigate MC?
My wife can and does.

Basically just saying that doing that is annoying. And if not WAF, then visiting grandparents-babysitting-AF, kidsAF etc.

You are of course correct that that works.

If you can get your remote mapped to alt-ctrl-del, then a macro that does 'alt-ctrl-del' then 'clear' when you select the activity also gets you out of the black screen without exiting MediaCenter.

Wish MS would patch this!

xnappo
post #11 of 32 Old 05-18-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I am using the menu exit function now and as xnappo implies it defeats the purpose of having the Harmony do a one button off function for everything. Besides which it was working fine before. I want to know what is it that changed to get me back where I was so that I'll know what needs to be fixed...not change methods to accommodate the inconvenience.

I tried the fix in the link about changing resolutions to 1920x1080/59. WMC changed but CCC under the desktop did not list that as a resolution. Of course then that made the timings off inside of WMC and I started getting black screen blanking so I had to back out of the settings in WMC and reset to 1920x1080/60.

Looks like a WMC reload is in the near future

EZed
post #12 of 32 Old 05-19-2012, 12:46 AM

Liked: 17
Might it have something to do with the screensaver? Have you tried disabling it?

Or I would recommend setting your computer to go to standby or hibernate after a set period of time. Then install StandbyHelper and configure it to close ehshell.exe just before it goes to sleep. This way your wife won't have to do it manually.

You can also set it to launch ehshell.exe to relaunch once it wakes up but you might end up with your original problem?
post #13 of 32 Old 05-19-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yep tried changing screensaver and disabling screensaver - neither had effect. Will just use manual exit until it's time to re-install Windows at some future date. Thanks for all suggestions just thought that with all of the different black screen issues there might have been some common solution that everyone had settled on.

Issue is closed as unresolved from my standpoint.

EZed
post #14 of 32 Old 05-20-2012, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've had the same thing on my Dell Zino. I've tried everything (disable sleep mode, Geffen HDMI detective, etc.). All of these helped, but none of them completely eliminated the issue. I find I can get the computer to respond if I hit a bunch of remote buttons (I control the PC through a remote). However, even that doesn't work all the time.

Bob
post #15 of 32 Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Add me to the list of people who gave in, bought the Geffen HDMI detective, and no longer have this problem.

Other stuff helped, but only the Geffen made all issues go away.

xnappo
post #16 of 32 Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Add me to the list of people who gave in, bought the Geffen HDMI detective, and no longer have this problem.
Other stuff helped, but only the Geffen made all issues go away.
xnappo

Issues like these?

I've been considering the detective but that thing costs nearly $100. It would be nice if it were male/female so I don't have to get another short HDMI Cable. Right now I have a 25 foot monoprice High Speed HDMI cable from the AVR to the HDTV and am wondering if the detective will work with this run and one of the many 2 meter High Speed HDMI cables I have lying about making a total run of 30+ feet.

post #17 of 32 Old 06-13-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Issues like these?
I've been considering the detective but that thing costs nearly $100. It would be nice if it were male/female so I don't have to get another short HDMI Cable. Right now I have a 25 foot monoprice High Speed HDMI cable from the AVR to the HDTV and am wondering if the detective will work with this run and one of the many 2 meter High Speed HDMI cables I have lying about making a total run of 30+ feet.

The HDMI Detective comes with a short high-quality hdmi cable so you won't need to purchase another cable. Whether it will work with a long cable is something I cannot comment on.

It's $86 now at Amazon.com with free shipping if you're in the US: http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI-EDIDP-HDmi-Detective-Plus/dp/B001RIMZUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339630046&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+detective

I don't use my htpc too often but, when I did, I often had the dreaded "no signal" message on my tv and/or avr. The Detective cured the problem once and for all.
post #18 of 32 Old 06-13-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

It goes between the HDTV and the AVR right? I want it to capture the TV's EDID so it is set right in the AVR? The thing is that minimizing WMC and maximizing it againb brings WMC back to 1920x1080. Is that even an EDID issue?

post #19 of 32 Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

It goes between the HDTV and the AVR right? I want it to capture the TV's EDID so it is set right in the AVR? The thing is that minimizing WMC and maximizing it againb brings WMC back to 1920x1080. Is that even an EDID issue?

To properly set the Detective, you connect it between your tv and your htpc.

Connect the unit as follows using hdmi cables: htpc-->Detective-->hdtv. Then, plug in the power adapter, program the Detective, shut everything down. You will not need the Detective's power adapter again unless you need to re-program the unit.

Connect the htpc-->avr-->Detective-->hdtv. All connections are made via hdmi.
post #20 of 32 Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

To properly set the Detective, you connect it between your tv and your htpc.
Connect the unit as follows using hdmi cables: htpc-->Detective-->hdtv. Then, plug in the power adapter, program the Detective, shut everything down. You will not need the Detective's power adapter again unless you need to re-program the unit.
Connect the htpc-->avr-->Detective-->hdtv. All connections are made via hdmi.

I don't think that setup will help. The HTPC has the problem with EDID, not the AVR. So, to make sure the HTPC always sees the AVR, put the Detective between the HTPC and the AVR. To set it up initially, connect the Detective to the AVR, make sure the TV and the AVR are on and the input used for the HTPC is selected on the AVR, then program it. Next, disconnect the power cable and connect the HPTC to the Detective. That's how I've done it for my HTPCs, and it works perfectly.
post #21 of 32 Old 06-13-2012, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

I don't think that setup will help. The HTPC has the problem with EDID, not the AVR. So, to make sure the HTPC always sees the AVR, put the Detective between the HTPC and the AVR. To set it up initially, connect the Detective to the AVR, make sure the TV and the AVR are on and the input used for the HTPC is selected on the AVR, then program it. Next, disconnect the power cable and connect the HPTC to the Detective. That's how I've done it for my HTPCs, and it works perfectly.

Yes, you are correct. I moved the Detective to my avr so I can play 5.1 files from my Pivos media player with the tv off. When playing 5.1 files, the Pivos defaults to outputting 2.0 channel audio instead of 5.1 when the tv is turned off.

I currently have my hdtv connected to my Ati 5450's hdmi connection and my avr connected to my Asus Slim's hdmi output. My hdtv is display 1 and I extended the desktop to display 2 which is my avr. I can switch inputs on the tv or avr and not lose audio or video sync.

edyohome, does your card have a dvi and hdmi connection?
post #22 of 32 Old 06-13-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Since my problem is that WMC is not opening full screen, this start up sequence in my H 900 seems to be working:

EDIT:

I know I have posted this three times but thought I should put it in all relative threads as there's at least two threads discussing this resolution change issue. This worked at least 10 times successivelly and again this morning after a 6 hour shutdown.

What this does is give time for HDMI sync to occur with a couple 5 second remote pauses and closes WMC (alt F4) and then loads it again in LiveTV. This replicates what I've been doing manually, although I minimize/maximize WMC and this closes it and opens it.

I also don't know if it will resolve the blank screen issue. I'm not fighting that one..

post #23 of 32 Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to add that I changed the Media Center PC2 to go to the MCE Startpage because if Windows Media Center was not already open, Alt F4 brings a pop up to shut down the computer. Although the original sequence was working, this new sequence removes the possibility that the computer will shut down when starting the Activity. Not that it won't due to some other reason but at least not due to the start up sequence programmed into the Hed into the H 900.

Other than that this start up sequence is working well.

post #24 of 32 Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I run XMBC,but have the same blank screen issue.

Joining the party towards the end. The blank screen issue seems to stem from an issue with DirectX. If an application, say WMC or XBMC, is running full screen when the display is turned off for an extended period of time (overnight) then the application needs to be taken out of full screen mode to get the blank screen to go back to the desktop. To help resolve this someone in another forum posted an event ghost macro to detect the display on/off trigger. It then toggles the fullscreen option in xbmc. When the display kicks back on, the application full screen toggle goes back to full screen. A little googling should point you in the right direction.

On the harmony remote you can add the "Windows Media Center SE" keyboard as a device. It contains the key combinations like alt+F4 and a few other commonly used key combinations.
Device type: Computer -> Media Center PC
Manufacturer: Microsoft
Model: Windows Media Center SE

If you set your media center to run on a shortcut key, it's real easy to add the kill/restart macro on the harmony. My harmony macro is something like this:
XBMC (F10), wait 2 seconds, alt+F4, wait 2 seconds, restart xbmc (F10).

Best of luck, we're all in this together.

I'm confused too.

post #25 of 32 Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Latest thing that I've done is to connect PC to TV with VGA cable. This fixes the handshake/blank screen problem and gets me back to not needing Alt+F4 on close and Start Media Center on entry, however VGA looks fuzzy as compared to DVI/HDMI. My TV reports that it is getting 1920x1080 and WMC7 is set for 1920x1080 but I have to wonder if I am really getting that resolution because I swear the image looks fuzzy to me (as compared to DVI/HDMI before).

EZed
post #26 of 32 Old 06-18-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

My Harmony start-up sequence still works great over HDMI through my AVR-2312ci.

post #27 of 32 Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 AM

I posted this a few posts back but I have the hdmi detective between my htpc and receiver and i only get the black screen issue when there is a recording taking place or after a recording has taken place...why would i only get them at those times and not others?
post #28 of 32 Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Video card used?

post #29 of 32 Old 06-19-2012, 06:26 PM