Kitchen PC touchscreen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have any of you tinkered with the idea of installing a touch screen into your kitchen wall? It's primary use would be recipes, grocery list, family calendars, maybe some facebook browsing or audio/video streaming while meddling around in the kitchen.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ever...-a-Kitchen-PC/

This article is inspiring me to do it...I wouldn't be able to attempt it for 2 months or so, but I am eager to get some ideas/opinions if you have attempted it. The PC in the article is running Windows XP/7 with the Omnimo skin...which is basically the Windows 8 Phone skin.

As the author explains, the reason for a PC instead of a tablet is the customization available for the OS, unlimited upgrades in software and hardware, as well as a larger touchscreen (17" in his case).

As for his specs, I don't know if you could run WMC or XBMC and stream to it from another PC, but who knows!?

The article is a few years old, not sure if it's updated recently though the author has recent posts. These are the items listed in his build. Personally, I didn't even know you could get a motherboard with a CPU that doesn't require a heatsink fan!

Mainboard: Intel D945GSEJT Half-Height ITX (Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz, GMA950)
HDD: 2,5 WD Scorpio Black 120 Gb
RAM: 2Gb SODIMM Kingston 533 Mhz
PC Case: Half-height ITX case available here: http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1081
60W external power supply (12V out)
17 used DELL Monitor with DVI connector
17 Touchscreen USB Kit (from E-bay, single-touch, resistive)
Generic PC Microphone
Wireless adapter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I get it, a PC is much more configurable then a tablet, but lets not over do this, if you want a touch screen for the kitchen get a tablet. There are great apps for recipes, grocery lists, and family calenders. A tablet might not offer the largest screen size but its good enough.

I think if you really go this route you are just doing something for the sake of doing it, and there is nothing wrong with that.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I think this would be neat to do, but I'd be way more inclined to buy an off the shelf 22ish inch all in one touchscreen PC if thats what I wanted.

a friend and his wife have an ipad, and he got some kind of fancy mount for in the kitchen that she could run Cox cable's ipad streaming thingy.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #4 of 4 Old 05-18-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 138
My thought too: mount a tablet. However, you also don't want it flat against the wall -- unless it's eye-height, which is different for everyone, because it will be hard to use -- your hands have a tough time bending backwards when they are below your shoulders.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page