Hdd maximum capacity - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am planning to put my bdmv into my external western digital 3tb HDD. I plan to use this on my htpc via USB 3.0. I am planning to max out the HDD.

My HT/hifi dealer told me that he has customer who filled their HDD to the max capacity and end up their htpc couldn't read or write the HDD anymore. However they tried on a oppo player and the movie files were ok.

So wondering if I should max out my HDD or just leave around 10-20gb for safety. My dealer recommends 40gb. My bdmv range from 22gb to 70gb per file. I am one those who likes to use every drop of toothpaste if you know what I mean. So I feel like trying to max out the HDD but worried about spoiling it. This is my 1st 3tb HDD, but I have experience maxing out both int and ext 1tb HDD with no problems with anime and Asian dramas.

So hopefully someone can share with me their experience. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyz View Post

Hi, I am planning to put my bdmv into my external western digital 3tb HDD. I plan to use this on my htpc via USB 3.0. I am planning to max out the HDD.

My HT/hifi dealer told me that he has customer who filled their HDD to the max capacity and end up their htpc couldn't read or write the HDD anymore. However they tried on a oppo player and the movie files were ok.

So wondering if I should max out my HDD or just leave around 10-20gb for safety. My dealer recommends 40gb. My bdmv range from 22gb to 70gb per file. I am one those who likes to use every drop of toothpaste if you know what I mean. So I feel like trying to max out the HDD but worried about spoiling it. This is my 1st 3tb HDD, but I have experience maxing out both int and ext 1tb HDD with no problems with anime and Asian dramas.

Hard drives can become excruciatingly slow when they are down to their last few dozen gigabytes. The data blocks for files and directories can be intertwined and scrambled. Note that XP defrag won't even try to defrag a disc with less than about 15% free space.

Yes, I've maxed out hard drives, but I wouldn't do it intentionally. In theory if you are patient enough, you should be able to at least get enough control of the drive to move out enough files so that the drive has reasonable performance.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Qaq

Liked: 12
ATM my HTPC has few HDDs 0,5-2Tb with 200-700Mb free space. No problem with any read/write operations.

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
post #4 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I have maxed out some of my drives with less than 500 MB of space remaining; never had a problem.
As pointed out above, data can be physically located in different areas of the drive.
I would recommend defraging the drive at regular intervals (maybe every 500 GB or so).
post #5 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

This is a virgin drive with the sole purpose of storing my movies and I will never delete the movies. I won't defrag it either.

How big are the drives you guys mentioned? I also have 2 maxed out 1tb int HDD with less than 1gb to spare and they are working fine.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

My HT/hifi dealer told me that he has customer who filled their HDD to the max capacity and end up their htpc couldn't read or write the HDD anymore.

Quote:

This is a virgin drive with the sole purpose of storing my movies and I will never delete the movies. I won't defrag it either.

How big are the drives you guys mentioned? I also have 2 maxed out 1tb int HDD with less than 1gb to spare and they are working fine.

I hate to say this, but Geek Squad is probably a better source of info than a HT dealer when it comes to PC support.

I'm sure you will be fine until you can't cram another file onto the drive.

post #7 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Why waste the space? I wouldn't max out your system drive (i.e. the one with the OS installed) but data drives should be able to go right to the last byte with no ill effects. I'd also choose the largest cluster size you can when formatting. It will give you a small performance gain for larger files.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I would mirror that 3Tb, since it will be excruciatingly painful to reimage all that data from backups... Also, run defrag to compact the data before you get to the maximum fill capacity.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #9 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I would mirror that 3Tb, since it will be excruciatingly painful to reimage all that data from backups... Also, run defrag to compact the data before you get to the maximum fill capacity.

Mirroring does not protect against accidental deletions. Unless uptime is a big concern, I'd be comfortable doing only backups and foregoing any RAID solution.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

Mirroring does not protect against accidental deletions. Unless uptime is a big concern, I'd be comfortable doing only backups and foregoing any RAID solution.

You are absolutely correct, redundancy does not protect against operator error, but then, the operator has no one to blame, other than the operator itself.

Up time may not be of significance in a home setting, but in our household, the file server holds all of the recorded TV, movies, music, and pictures content.

But, let me tell you, when the wife has all of her "real housewives", "chopped", "glee", and "bethany" on the server, and my daughter has all of her Elmo, Abby, and Zoey on the server, uptime becomes an absolute necessity, if one were to keep their sanity.

The Server, HTPC and associated media center extenders are THE ONLY "cable box/DVR" in the house. While I can still read books with Elmo and Abby to my daughter, reading the newspaper article about "chopped" or "Real housewives" does not seem to work with the wife....

So, RAID 5 it is, and back ups.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #11 of 11 Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yea, I guess you guys are right. I also believe i should be able to max out the HDD. After I had another chat with my dealer, seem like it only happen once to 1 customer and not a few as I was previously led to believe..
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page