Backup big-sized data online - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-21-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have big-sized data (nearly 58 GB) such as my photos, pictures, my media, at last, documents and I want to backup it to cloud storage to be sure it are safe.
I need to back up it from NAS and do it quickly.
Wait for your replies what cloud storage is more preferable and soft which you use for such purpose.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM

Crashplan will handle that amount of data, but I believe it needs a client PC. There is no Crashplan software for a NAS, as far as I know.

It would probably be easier if you would see what software your NAS supports.

I believe Amazon S3 is supported on some NAS, but that is an expensive option.

That amount of data will likely take 1-3 months to backup to the cloud.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-23-2012, 11:57 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post

Maybe if he's on dialup at 56k. Obviously it's going to depend on what speed is upload is but at 768k/sec, that's a little over 7 days full speed, 24/7. Factor in overhead and other use and you're still under 2 weeks. My symmetrical FiOS connection, I'll take under 4 hours.
post #4 of 24 Old 05-23-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
58GB is nothing, I assumed you wanted to back up a few TBs of Blu-ray discs.

I'm backing up over 800GB with CrashPlan. I'm using the free backup to a friend option instead of to their paid cloud. I seeded a 1.5TB external HDD with my backup set and took it to my parents' house out of state. Installed CrashPlan on their PC and enabled the HDD backup set. After it synced it's been running great for about a year now.

post #5 of 24 Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Google Drive gives 100 GB for $5 per month and it isn’t limited by this value. If you need you can increase it to some TBs and its price is rather attractive. As to relevant soft try @max syncup. I enjoy it to back up my data to Google Drive. The soft does incremental copies and time for backup is reduced appreciably. Synchronization and backup from NAS are available.
Best regards
post #6 of 24 Old 05-26-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFirst View Post

Google Drive gives 100 GB for $5 per month and it isn't limited by this value. If you need you can increase it to some TBs and its price is rather attractive. As to relevant soft try @max syncup. I enjoy it to back up my data to Google Drive. The soft does incremental copies and time for backup is reduced appreciably. Synchronization and backup from NAS are available.
Best regards

1 TB is $50/month through Google, which I consider to be outrageous since I just bought a portable 3TB drive for $120 from Costco. I now have two of these 3TB drives, one I keep at home and use for periodic backups and one I take to work and backup weekly.

Bob
post #7 of 24 Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 PM

Hello,

If it were me I would look at using USB external drives, back up to several of these drives if required, then store them at a friend or relatives house, then maybe use online storage only for those files which change on a weekly basis (which will probably be only a few percent of your total storage set) and back those files up to an external drive which you can then keep in another part of the house.

This way your long term storage which rarely changes is economically stored away from your home, whilst material which regularly changes is on both external drive and cloud, so all your data is protected against storage failure and potential problems at your property.

A company I do work for has a couple TB data which is used by the business, and this is backed up locally and we have a machine at a secure data center which we seeded on the LAN, then moved and backup using rsync every 48 hours. The rsync run routinely only equals less than 1% of the data volume.

Hope this helps.

Dave
post #8 of 24 Old 05-26-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Can't you put 58 GB on one or two flash drives or even multiple flash drives for redundancy? Or even an external drive using the free crashplan?

post #9 of 24 Old 05-27-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Crashplan will handle that amount of data, but I believe it needs a client PC. There is no Crashplan software for a NAS, as far as I know.

Depends on the NAS, Crashplan has a linux client, and some folks on the unRAID forums have made/built a Crashplan client/plugin for unRAID.

Quote:

I uploaded ~100-120GB of my photos to Crashplan in about 4 weeks or so when I did that initially.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-29-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 68
58 Gb can be easily backed up on a relatively inexpensive hard drive, or a few to store away from home.

On-line back-up is only relevant when you want to access to your files away from home. If you are backing up personal memorabilia (pictures, music, documents) local back up on an another hard drive is much more economical than the monthly fees associated with on-line back up services.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #11 of 24 Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

58 Gb can be easily backed up on a relatively inexpensive hard drive, or a few to store away from home.

On-line back-up is only relevant when you want to access to your files away from home. If you are backing up personal memorabilia (pictures, music, documents) local back up on an another hard drive is much more economical than the monthly fees associated with on-line back up services.

Using local only backups isn't covering all your bases. It has nothing to do with away from home access. Fire/flood/theft will take care of a local backup plan.

My off-site backup is free. It doesn't get much more economical than free. Use Crashplan's free backup to a friend option. Now both my house and my parents' out of state house will need to burn to the ground at the same time for me to lose my data.

post #12 of 24 Old 05-29-2012, 05:58 PM

CrashPlan is absolutely the way to go. They have a paid option, but it's hard to beat the free Backup to a Friend option - everyone knows someone they can backup to, and even if you buy them a hard drive to attach to their computer. Local backup is free, too, so get buy one hard drive and install it at your parents or some other relative's house and buy another for your local stuff, then you have free, encrypted backup. My unRaid box is backing up data for several friends as well as my laptop and desktop computer, and that data is also backed up to my sister's house. I haven't had to mess with it at all since setting it up a year ago, and I get weekly emails that tell me about my backup status and statistics.
post #13 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Using local only backups isn't covering all your bases. It has nothing to do with away from home access. Fire/flood/theft will take care of a local backup plan.

My off-site backup is free. It doesn't get much more economical than free. Use Crashplan's free backup to a friend option. Now both my house and my parents' out of state house will need to burn to the ground at the same time for me to lose my data.

So you are agreeing with me. I bolded and underlined the exact same suggestion, except you actually walk the hard drive to someone's house, or store it in the safe depost box at the bank, or a storage unit, or at grandma's house in the walls along with her stash of cash because she does not believe in banks.... options are unlimited.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #14 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you are agreeing with me. I bolded and underlined the exact same suggestion, except you actually walk the hard drive to someone's house, or store it in the safe depost box at the bank, or a storage unit, or at grandma's house in the walls along with her stash of cash because she does not believe in banks.... options are unlimited.

Not really. The walk and swap isn't real time and over time you will forget/get lazy. I can leave the HDD at grandma's house and use Crashplan to backup to the drive for free without having to remember. As a plus I can backup granny's data to my house for free too.

Have you read about Crashplan's backup to a friend option? Please do so if you haven't already.

post #15 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
After reading the recommendations here, I downloaded the free trial of Crashplan and tried to install it to my file server. It won't complete the installation because it 'doesn't have sufficient permissions to complete" I'm running an administrator account (Win 7 Pro 32 bit) and also tried 'Run as Administrator' on the install file. Anybody else ever seen this problem? I found nothing helpful at their site, btw...

Question: If I can get it to work, and backup some files to a hard drive at my daughter's house... would she be able to decrypt and copy/use the files too?
post #16 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM

The Crashplan backups are encrypted with your password, so no one else will have access without the password, including your daughter.

Hopefully, this won't lead to a full blown discussion on how good the encryption is in Crashplan .
post #17 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali View Post

After reading the recommendations here, I downloaded the free trial of Crashplan and tried to install it to my file server. It won't complete the installation because it 'doesn't have sufficient permissions to complete" I'm running an administrator account (Win 7 Pro 32 bit) and also tried 'Run as Administrator' on the install file. Anybody else ever seen this problem? I found nothing helpful at their site, btw...

Question: If I can get it to work, and backup some files to a hard drive at my daughter's house... would she be able to decrypt and copy/use the files too?

I don't know, is there maybe a 32 and 64 bit installer? I've installed it on Win7 x64, Win Vista x32, and WHS 2011 with no issues. A co-worker even uses the Linux version.

post #18 of 24 Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The Crashplan backups are encrypted with your password, so no one else will have access without the password, including your daughter.

I guess I didn't express myself clearly. I meant to ask... If I wanted her to be able to access the files, would she be able to? I gather from your answer that she would. Naturally I would give her the password in that case.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-31-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I think you'd have to use the same account on both machines and then you'd both have access to everything.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 AM

I am also facing the problem concern with Crashplan's download..It is terminated after half done and displays an error called "you have not sufficient permission to access the."
What does it indicates? Is there any alternatives for it?

http://bigdatacompanies.com
post #21 of 24 Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here is the way I see things:
At work, I am NOT responsible for the data, someone else is and if the cloud/server goes its not my problem. Someone is PAID (very well I am told) to manage this task its their job to recover data for the organization.

Unless you have unlimited faith in the long term survival of all your cloud based storage systems I would not touch them with a 10 ft pole for personal data.

You need a system:
0) Create a back up plan for your files (movies are not important, your kids photos, important documents, software are mission critical, they are irreplaceable-you can always buy more movies)
1) Buy two identical HDD (1TB-4TB whatever floats your boat) . I have eSATA hotswappable drives both internal and external enclosures, if you prefer USB 2.0/3.0 it will work fine too.
2) If you are on Windows you can download MS SyncToy for free (its actually pretty good for free). The first back up might take a bit of time, but after that its always a synchronized/echo incremental back up.
3) Now that you have backed up to two identical drive, take one and put it off site (like a locked file cabinet at work, or grandma's house)
4) After 1-4 wks take the drive that is at home with the latest back up and put it off site and bring the one that is off site back to home. (order is important, this way the latest back up is walking out with you and there is at least 1-2 copies off site at any given time.)

This way when your house burns down you just walk out with family leaving everything behind (knowing that you have back up that is only 1-4 wks old that is off site). When you get a new computer you plug in your off site HDD via USB (so you don't need a highspeed internet connection to download 1-4TB of data) and you have EVERYTHING instantly available . Remember your blu ray collection is not going to be top you your mind when you are trying to rebuild from catastrophic loss, its the photos and documents.

If your house and your off site storage burn down simultaneously, back up may not be the biggest thing on your mind, you got bigger problems in life. smile.gif

IMO, all other methods (cloud based storage) are handy back up solutions to this main method, they compliment but not replace the physical off site storage method.
post #22 of 24 Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Just use the free Crashplan option to backup to a friend. You leave the drive at grandma's house and hook it to her computer and install Crashplan. You install Crashplan on your home computer. Link your Crashplan account to grandma's account and backup. You can also let grandma back up her PC to your house.

Prior to taking the drive to grandma's house you simply seed it at home. Then once installed off site you are just uploading the changes.

This is similar to cloud storage, but free and you have control of the drives. If your house burns down, just pay grandma a visit and grab your drive and restore.

post #23 of 24 Old 05-10-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Ric Flair offers the "wooo" back up service with unlimited data.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #24 of 24 Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Ric Flair offers the "wooo" back up service with unlimited data.

-.-
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page