3D GPU for HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. Im a video enthusiast, by that i mean im into watching films in best quality possible, i dont know much about hardware and the tech stuff.

At the moment i have a Ati HD4870, im having alot of trouble with crushed blacks, loss of detail, and basically a washed out picture. The different settings, pixel format and settings for video renderes (i use Haali) dont change much.

Im starting to think i would be more happy with an nvidia card but dont really know. If any of you would suggest a card, max price 200 dollars, it would be appreciated.

And im also getting more into 3d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm using an Nvida 550ti and it works perfectly for both BD and BD-3D playback. Since you mention 3D, it's important to note that you really do need to get a GPU that supports not only BD, but BD 3D offloading if you want to play back 3D movies. The two are separate- and if your GPU doesn't support BD 3D offloading, the burden is put on your CPU which usually will cause stuttering and heat problems unless you have an awesome CPU. I also game with it (World of Warcraft).

For several years I upgraded back and forth between ATI and Nvidia - but I just kept having problems with patch after patch on ATI. . I love the 550ti and will never go back to ATI. You should be able to get a 550ti for $120-150 price range, I got mine on sale from Newegg for $119.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page